Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Janesjollybears JanesJollyBears
Ft.Lauderdale

Hello! I rescued this sweet panda bear off Ebay a day or two ago, and was wondering about his label   (SAMPLE - KELLYTOYS) I spent many hours looking on line for this bear, but found nothing. Could it be that he never went into production? That he was as his tag states........Just a sample? Either way, I fell in love with him and will fix him all up for my own collection! Just was curious as to what that tag meant? 1354850492_rescued_panda.jpg

Ft.Lauderdale

Also............Should I leave that tag on?

LitWit Posts: 298

I saw that bear!  bear_laugh He is nice: I love those claws and the shaggy fur! Is he jointed? I tried researching him, too when I first saw him, in hopes of finding another one, but didn't have any luck.

Ft.Lauderdale

bear_flower Yes !!! Isn't he sweet !!!! I fell in love with him and made offer & was accepted right away. So from that point on........I had to have spent at least 5 solid hours on line trying to find him, but nothing. So, maybe he never went into full production ? I don't know if he's jointed or not. Kinda hoping he's not, I'de love to put a lock armature in him! I'm really looking forward to restoring him!!!! I have an addiction to rescueing bears in need of TLC !!!!  I will post a pic of him when he's all better.  bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

His shape is adorable! Personally, I'd take that tag off, clean him up, and let the hugging begin!

Becky

Ft.Lauderdale

Absolutely agree Becky!!! bear_grin

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I breifly had a larger version of this bear (yes, he went into production)before trading him to another collector. I don't suppose there's really any collectible value to him even with the sample tag, so you shouldn't feel any reservations about removing it and keeping him as a cuddle bear if that's what you want.

I myself sidestepped that question completely...I bought a tagging gun on ebay ($10) so I can re-attach tags to my bears any time I wish, as such all of my bears are de-tagged (and cuddled) no matter how expensive they are.

Ft.Lauderdale

bear_grin Thankyou for letting me know!  I would have loved to see a larger version on him!!!! I'm a big bear person myself, this panda is only 21 inches, but I just fell in love with him!!!! I'm excited to fix him all up & yup.........he's a keeper!!!! Thats an excellent idea to have a re-tagging gun!

I also would like to thankyou again for posting the sale/site for the Queen Elinor Bear .................I bought her too that day!!! What an incredible price!!!  Merry xmas to me!!!  I really have to stop!!!! Lol !!! bear_grin

No problem, I'm on an agenda here.....every great now and then diz comes up with an interpretation of one of their bear characters that is so nice, it belongs in the hands of collectors. And Elinor is the nicest I've seen since the "jumbo" LE Kenai bears were released. My only critcism is that I wish they had disc-jointed her arms as well intstead of wired, but beyond that even though she's a bit too small by my standards for sleeping with, she's perfect for cuddling up in my lap while I'm at the computer- she snuggles right into my chest and doesn't get in the way of my arms :)
and her fur is sooooo silky. You won't be dissapointed, she's a stellar bear for the price.

oh, btw, since I missed it when I first read your questions, let me clarify what the "sample" tag means....what you have is a salesman's sample (which is of course what the salesman would show to a prospective retailer as an example of the stock product) in teh case of a stuffed animal that is allready valuable as a collectible, having a salesman's sample tag bumps the value up a bit.

I have a few gund bears that are salesman's samples, and it's actually embriodered on to their tush tags.

Ft.Lauderdale

Great !!! I can't wait to get her!!! Oh ....did I mention that I also bought the 6 " triplet cubs to go with her? They where on sale too !!! I couldn't resist!!!! Now all I have to do is get to the UPS man before my husband sees all the boxes!!!  I will definately keep the tag along with the rest of my tags in my files, I always say that I'm gonna leave the tag on.......3 seconds later........ripped off!!! Thankyou so very much for your help!!!! Bear Hugs!!!! Jane bear_original

We should really chat sometime....I notice you are in my little corner of the planet, we've probably been to many of the same bear-related places.....the Naples Teddy Museum and the old ABC show in Tampa (RIP) maybe country quilts & bears or IDEX.

Ft.Lauderdale

Absolutely! Anytime! Yes, I've been to the IDEX show & mainly shows here locally in Ft.Lauderdale. But they definatley are few & far between these days unfortunately bear_sad  I have been to some good ones in West Palm Beach as well.  I am new to making the bears, but have been collecting for many years.  3 years ago I had a tragic house accident and lost EVERYTHING!!!!  So i have been slowly, little by little building up my collection again.  I love Naples!!! I must make a trip there..........soon !!!!! bear_original

I think you're going to like the project I just started.....I just got mail delivery of a Cuddletown Friends 30" panda, he's a rather unusual realistic panda with a nice set of claws- he's a very dirty bear right now who's taken some abuse (he'll need cleaning, restuffing,and resculpting on his face) but he'll be very handsome when I'm done with him.

Ft.Lauderdale

I'de love to see him!!! Absolutely take a before & after pic of him. I did watch your vids on resculpting the face...........FANTASTIC!!!! Thanks so much for that!!! I will try your technic with my new panda baby! Still waiting on the UPS man to deliver him!! I just finished creating a 22" bear pattern. Excited to get him started!!!! bear_laugh

certainly! I took before photos, at the moment he's soaking in an alkaline bath.

Board footer