Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Traceyann Posts: 16

Any ideas how to stop the bears hair from getting in my mouth and all over the place ? bear_grin

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

lol no, if you figure it out let me know :lol:
carrie

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

They always get all over the place. There is no solution that I know of...safe vacuuming in between bear making sessions. As for the mouth problem, I always wear a paper mask (of the kind that surgeons use...) when I do the cutting and scissor sculpting of the fur. It is important because you want to avoid breathing fur particles. I really feel like a 'teddy surgeon' that way! bear_grin

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

ohh I like the surgeon mask, you can call me Dr. Carrie

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Like Francy, I use a paper mask when trimming the seam allowances, but I notice that faux fur makes an incredible mess compared with mohair. (Do you normally work with faux fur?)

You can keep one of those high-tech dust cloths (Swiffer, Pledge, etc.) on the table as well. Then as you work, you can sweep up the fibers now and then.

Becky

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I guess it's what you're used to? The few times I've used mohair the short cut ends made my skin itch bear_tongue With synthetic I leave the fur flat on the table as I cut, then I take each piece and skim off the loose fur into a deep trash container with a top. I never have fur flying around or on the floor. But I've been using faux fur for over 15 years so I guess cutting pieces is second nature to me by now.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Karen wrote:

I guess it's what you're used to

I'm sure you're right - I've made only three bears from faux fur!

Karen wrote:

With synthetic I leave the fur flat on the table as I cut

That might be my solution. I'm used to holding up each piece in one hand while I use the other to scissor-trim the seam allowances. (The faux fur I've used has been so dense that I end up with drifts of fuzzy stuff!)

Becky

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I vacuum the cut out fur with my hand held dirt Devil. Word of caution, hang on the the bear pats tightly or you will be fishing them out of the bag. By doing this I don't have a problem with flying fur.

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I have what is called a "lint buster." You can find them at the fabric shop. They work great to clean up that teddy hair that gets stuck to my clothing and to pick up the fly away pieces on the piece I am cutting.

Board footer