Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

haggishaem Posts: 15

Hi All,

With trepidation, may I show my first bear.  He is made from the sleeve of a vintage real fur coat.  I love him just for the facial character but I still have a lot to learn.  Please any constructive criticism would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks
1361617909_img_0153.jpg1361618022_img_0151.jpgwww.teddy-talk.com

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

He is lovely! ...and it isn't easy to sew real fur, so very well done!  I think he is great and could not criticise anything about him.  I wish my first bear had been this good!

Thank you Sue, I can't comment on other fabrics yet (just about to start mohair one) but this one was soo easy to sew and just about made himself especially the eyes and nose placement.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You did a fantastic job! I wouldn't have guessed that it was your first bear if you hadn't told. Brava! bear_wub

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

I just want to hug him! Nice job. We'll look forward to seeing more of your creations  bear_original

Thank you all for your kind comments, it was a labour of love from start to finish.  Strangely, once the glass eyes were set in place his character took over.  I had originally planned an embroidered nose, but after sewing the eyes in place decided to experiment with making a leather nose instead, thankfully it seems to work.
I have just started working on a mohair creation.  Again another traditional type and I will post photos when he's (she's) finished.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

He's a great bear and has been well worth all that effort. You have made a really characterful bear with a style of your very own. Well done!

Thank you Jenny, I still have a lot a long way to go yet I know but really enjoying it so far

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

There is absolutely no need for trepidation!  :D
He looks wonderful, standing up and on all fours.
He has a great expression too: proud and yet cuddly.  :love:
Well done!!  bear_thumb

Thank you Peter for your encouragement.  I love his expression as well but I don't know how I managed it.  I hope he is the promise of things to come and not beginners luck.  I am spending more time researching techniques and drawings and photos than I am sewing, so the next one may be a while.

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I think he is really good, my first bear wasn't as good. Everytime i make a bear i try to do at least one new thing, i have been making them now for nearly a year and there is still lots to learn, which is part of the fun of it. Looking forward to see your next bear bear_original

Board footer