Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

haggishaem Posts: 15

Good Morning All,

I am travelling from the Highlands of Scotland down to Worcester in August for a bee convention, and it struck me that I may be able to combine two obsessions into one.  Do any of you know it there are any bear making suppliers on route or around Worcestershire please.  I would really like to see the array of other fabrics etc available so I can buy what I will use rather than buy expensive mistakes that are destined to sit in the box.
Many Thanks
Elizabeth

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Not being a teddy bear maker myself, I don't know any addresses of bear making suppliers in the UK, but I do know that there is a list of suppliers in the UK Teddy Bear Guide (Hugglets).
You can download it for free here: http://www.hugglets.co.uk/guidedownload.php
Then go to pages 36 and following, where you will find some of the UK and international mohair suppliers.

Bless you Peter thank you for the pointer.  I have downloaded the guide and will peruse the UK suppliers to see if any are reasonably close to our route.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think you might find that there might be bear fairs nearby ....but that would depend on the dates.

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

The place i buy most of my stuff from is in Ironbridge which is just north of Worcester, they have strange opening times and so advise to phone beforehand to make sure you can visit.

After browsing the forum rules to check, i don't think i can post a link to their site which has their address, so will pm it to you if you are interested bear_original Let me know!

Thank you all, had a look in Teddy Guide and there was one in Telford.  I will look at the Fair venue for August that would be brilliant.  Jenbee I have pm you

Thank you Lesley, Jen PM'd yesterday with the address.  I will be there, it will be sensory overload in the extreme. When I come back by brain will be rich but my purse will be empty.
Elizabeth

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
haggishaem wrote:

Thank you Lesley, Jen PM'd yesterday with the address.  I will be there, it will be sensory overload in the extreme. When I come back by brain will be rich but my purse will be empty. Elizabeth

bear_laugh  That's the way it goes, Elizabeth!  bear_laugh

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

The Maws craft centre it lovely, but Ironbridge is not 'just north of Worcester'!  It's 40 miles north, and about 25 mins out of your way in each direction if you're heading up the M6, or you can head up the A449/A442 to Ironbridge, then go back across to the M6, although on the plus side, there is a direct exit onto the M54 as you head north on the M6, it's a wee bit more of a fiddle south (no idea why they never built an on ramp that way!) but you can come off at Penkridge and cut across to the A5 which is about as fast if you're popping in on the way south

Thank you for the directions Katy.  Coming from north of Inverness the '40 miles north of Worcester' will feel like 'just north'.  I think the best option would be to travel to Ironbridge and stay overnight there and then complete the hop to the convention at Worcester the next day.  Sneakily I will then have the opportunity to make two visits to the Maws centre if necessary.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Well I can tell you now it takes about 5 hours from Glasgow to Telford, as it was a journey I did often as a student lol  I normally only ever drive to Inverness in slow minibuses with boat trailers, so you know better than me about that journey time!  If you're staying the night, make sure you explore Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale as they're both lovely (Maws is actually in Jackfield on the other side of the river and down a mile and a half or so from Ironbridge)  Also check on Bears On The Square in Ironbridge while you're there, and, of course, Merrythought!

Thanks for that Katy, its about 3 hours to Glasgow (depending on traffic!) so we will just saunter down.  Ive always wanted to visit Coalbrookdale so that will be a must, all be it a fleeting one, along with the anticipated visit to Maws of course.  I will bear (:rolleyes:) in mind the other two but it will be dependent on time and the good nature of hubby!
ps I had a look at your bears and I loved the one you made for your Grans' neighbour, gorgeous

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Considering the extent of the journey, Worcester certainly is 'just north' 40 miles is nothing and it is a great idea to stay overnight. I am soooo jealous as i now live in Lincolnshire and it is a bit of a trek to go down that way. I have great memories of the area though because it is towards my old stomping ground, i grew up in Gloucestershire and remember going on a school trip to Ironbridge many years back. I do miss the scenery in that area, i hope you have a really nice trip. Maybe you can post some pics for us after you go bear_original

Thank you Jen, I hadn't thought of taking photos but I will now and post them when I return.  August can't come quick enough bears, bees, and that yellow warmth thats sometimes in the sky!  Oh it seems a million miles away

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Hehe at least it is something to look forward to. The bee part sounds interesting too, i try and help out the bees by planting bee flowers in my garden each year. They are so pretty i wish i had started doing it a long time ago.

Board footer