Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

Can anyone recognize this bear? It is 14.5 inches standing up. It has a tag on its back that looks like it is handwritten in pen. It says "Botta" Bears 1981. It has a red heart pinned to its chest, and long foot and paw pads that look like someone drew paws and claws on them. The foot pads are a lot longer than I've usually seen. It is five jointed and was likely made between 1980 and 1992. The pictures should help I think.

1371072724_botta_brown_1981_14inch_1.jpg
1371072766_botta_brown_1981_14inch_6.jpg
1371072787_botta_brown_1981_14inch_7.jpg
1371072828_botta_brown_1981_14inch_4.jpg
1371072860_botta_brown_1981_14inch_8.jpg

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

How uncommon are the paws on this bear? Do you think someone might have taken a pen and drawn the pads and claws? It certainly looks like they used a pen on the sewn in tag, so maybe they did the paws also?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The paw pads do appear to be hand-shaded, and there are many bear artists who do this. Dawn James comes to my mind: (sorry, the link I posted doesn't work, but look for Hugs Unlimited on Bearpile. I found an example o the third page of Dawn's gallery.) Her bear has air-brushed paw pads, but a paint brush or fabric markers work as well. Some people use stencils.

Since the bear is over 30 years old, it's likely that the artist behind Botta Bears is no longer working. As Dorothy said to Glenda the good witch, "My...people come and go so quickly here!" That's true about the bear-making world, too. bear_original

Maybe someone else knows?

Becky

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You're an A-One sleuth, Becky!

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  @Becky, oh wow, THANK YOU!!!!!!!! That makes me so happy! The bear in the link has the same style paws as mine. Now I know a tiny bit of the history of this previously unknown bear!  bear_original

I really can't say Thank You enough!

Edited - Same red heart also

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm so glad to help! The little heart must have been a signature item.

bear_original
Becky

Board footer