Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hi all
just wondering if anybody has explored making bears for children? Now don't get me wrong I understand the whole concept of artist bears and I absolutely LOVE the freedom that gives you. The creative possibilities inspires and excites me, have a mental list of new ideas waiting to be done not enough hours in the day and then on top of this I started thinking about bears for children.
Here's the thing I just find it a shame that children can't enjoy what we all do and get a bit of a raw deal on the bear front sometimes. It would be great to do one or two 'child safe' bears now and again. Sure it would impose limitaions on the constuction but I think that could be a creative challenge too. I have made bears for all my God children in the traditonal way and they love them dearly. (Felix cracks me up as his bear has been appointed king of the bears as he is firmly stuffed so that makes him hard =tough=capable of protecting the reast of his hug  :lol:) But I compleatly trust thier Mums to check regularly for any signs of wear and tear that may become a hazzard. These bears have a pretty active lives trips on holiday, dips in the sea and yes one even tried to fly from the top of the climbing frame! They seem to be holding up ok. I have been asked to make bears for friends of friends for thier children but I always say no followed by the stock reply not suitable for children under 14.
I expect the laws are very strict and rightly so - fire safety for inner and outer materials, safety joints, safety eyes etc. Charlie bears are suitable for over 3 years aren't they?  I would have to know that the bears were 100% child safe or I couldn't sleep nights.
So any body made bears for children? Is this a can of worms I should avoid? Any thoughts appreciated.
Michelle

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh definitely not a can of worms, Michelle . . . there are many of us that have made bears for children!  Although I'm not clear about the fire-proof materials, definitely use safety joints/eyes and no BBs, steel/plastic pellets, glass beads, or other "swallow-able" stuffing.  And I think perhaps 14 being your minimum age for artist bears is a little old.  My minimum age is 5 years and I've had no problems with that standard.  I'm sure others will have opinions on child-proofing your work, also.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Every country has their (long) legal definition of a child-safe toy, so I'll just answer in very general terms. Please don't quote me on any of this.

First, wool and mohair are naturally flame resistant. (I don't know which synthetics are, but you're right about Charlie Bears, so they must know.) I do know that I would never give a bear made of rayon or viscose fabric to a child. I've done the "ash test" on that kind of fiber, and it burns up in a heartbeat.

The joints and eyes are the next issue, and plastic "safety" versions of both are available. I've used them both, and they work. The joints will be looser than you might want, and you need to figure out the eye placement before you stuff the head.

Personally, I've only made children's bears for children that I'm related to - just as you have. Selling bears as child-safe might indeed lead to worm-can opening, in my opinion.  bear_flower

Becky

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Michelle,
I started my bear path working for Jim Henson toys, North American Bear Co., Matchbox/Pee Wee Herman soft toys and a few other toy companies. All the faux fur that you would purchase is flame proof. Everything that has been said about joints and features is what would be required. It really is not that scary  bear_happy Please feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. I still use many of the safety features I had used when I designed for children. It's not difficult, just a little different.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Derbyshire
Website

Hi Sue Ann here in the UK a teddybear has to be considered a toy if it is for under 14 hence the high age thresshold. That actually has reminded me that it may also greatly affect my product liability insurance. As we live in the 'where there is a blame there is a claim' society and the H&S rules of the EU means we can't even eat a bar of fruit and nut chocolate without being warned that it may contain nuts! That may push it on the cost front as I expect the premiums may be steep. I think your right though 5 is a good age to settle on. Children of that age may still be rubbing and sucking thier bears but are past trying to eat them/rip them apart!
Becky viscose and rayon are short staple fibres produced from wood pulp so although natural fibres do burn like wood. Wool is a truely amazing fibre and although a bit tricky on the washing front I still love it. I bought some carded wool with a mind to stuffing my bears with it as it is natural and heavy but it smells too much of sheep and would be a real hassle to wash and dry it in my tiny house. Hummm eye placement would need some thought too like you say would have to be done pre stuffing. Now that I would find difficult from an artistic rather than practical point of view, it takes me ages to decide on exactly where the eyes need to go  :wacko:
Karen I feel like have talked myself out of my initial enthusiasum already! That's good to know about faux fur I was unsure of its properties. Wow that must have been a great job and also a good grounding for what you do now. Did you get frustrated by the limitations and move into the artistic freedom of your pieces? Thank you for your offer of help but I think maybe I have to explore the extra costs involved first. I have ideas get over excited and not think things through - too much coffee before bed   :lol:
Michelle x

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I make baby-safe bears, and my 'jointed' bears have been safety tested and are safe for all age levels. My bears marked 'baby-safe' have embroidered eyes and no joints. I have even made dog-safe bears....that is a job!

pandamac

Derbyshire
Website

Dog Safe!! Now that really is a challenge!  :lol:
My cousins rescue grayhound always had a teddy that would slowly fall apart in to a wet mush but could not be thrown away until it was in pieces too small for him to 'love'. He went through teddies at a rate of one a year. So you are definately on to some thing there!
Michelle

Board footer