Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I just got my first sewing machine, a Singer Featherweight 221 and am super excited.  I was hoping someone could help me with the regular maintenance. 

1-What oil do you typically use?  I read that it should be oiled for every 8 hours of use. 

2-The manual also mentions lubricating the motor.  What do I use for this?  My machine came with a really old tube of motor lubricant.  Is it safe to assume this is no longer viable?  I read somewhere no to lubricate the motor so am a bit confused.  I'm hoping someone here can help. 

3-I would use the same motor lubricant for the gears underneath, correct?

I would appreciate all guidance, this is my first sewing machine and I'll admit I'm just tickled pink with it.  I really want to take the best of care of it.  The previous owner kept it beautifully.

Thank you!

Shanna

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

In my case,

1 - Good old "3-in-1" machine oil, paper towel for drips, and a Q-tip for bits of fuzz.

2 - I once used an old tube of motor lube on a different machine, and it was fine, but I haven't done the featherweight. That's something that's due very infrequently, I think. (You might want to just keep the old tube as a souvenir with the machine. They have new tubes at the fabric store.)

3 - I use the 3-in-1 oil underneath. It's a bit tricky, but just turn the wheel a bit and look for moving parts. Wherever there might be friction, I drip a drop of oil.

You might try contacting Kathy Lynn Forcino for her tips. She's a bit of a Featherweight connoisseur, I hear. bear_original

Becky

Board footer