Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I have been washing all my mohairs....I love the affect it gives them!!  But I am concerned about the kid mohair?  Anyone had experience with it?

Nanc......

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I haven't washed it, but after washing some curly/matted AND sparse/distressed varieties from Intercal, my guess is that it would just be all that much softer and more touchable.  The backings "survive" the washing process just fine.

I'll be curious to read what other, more experience folks have to say about this.

It IS a big step to wash kid mohair, as it usually has a higher price point than the other types, for all that luxurious softness, so it would be a major bummer to mess it up and lose that investment to a mistake!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Nancy... I wash Intercal's kid mohair all the time and have had no problem at all.  I find that it tightens up the backing a bit too... which is nice... it does mean that your fat quarter might be a bit smaller than it was to begin with though... that could be a consideration if you are pressed for space in your pattern layout....

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Kim...that's what I wondered but never dared do it. I have some wonderful cream kid mohair but the backing is loosely woven and I am a bit nervous of it ...I PVA'd the whole backing (I mentioned the 'G' word) last time so I might try washing it if tightens up the backing.

Hudson, Ohio

I use the clothes washer on the delicate setting (not as much agitation) and warm water.  I find some "hair" at the bottom of the washer... some does come out around the cut edges... and then I put it in the dryer on the "warm air" settling to get a little of the water out.  When it slightly damp, I take it out and brush it with a wire cat brush in the direction of the nap.  then i leave it to dry over night laying flat.  I really do find that it tightens up the backing.  Since many of my larger bears are plucked right down to the backing in the face area....I really like that backing to be nice and tight.

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I have never tried washing mohair in a machine, but rather by hand and had really nice results.  I think I may give the washer a try.  I suppose you then put it in the dryer too?  What's the worst that can happen?  I am looking forward to trying this.

Hudson, Ohio

Some of the distressed and or matted regular mohairs that I have washed and dried & brushed have really changed in texture... much of the distressing or swirly piles kind of go away after that kind of treatment... which is fine with me most of the time.... But the curls on kid mohair are really permanently there, so the washing and such doesn't really seem to hurt them.  I mean if you can microwave mohair in hot KoolAid... certainly you can throw it in the washer!   bear_grin  I did some overdying with Rit in the washer one time too.... i think it's the Federal Blue liquid dye over stone colored mohair...

Hi name is Stormie...

88183287.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Stormie is adorable!!

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I sure am glad I asked!  I had some kid mohair that I dyed in a large pan...it took the dye very splotchy...so I bought some dye remover.  That was the biggest mistake I have ever made.  I think I mentioned this before. 
Anyway, I cut the bad mohair off and then re-washed the kids.  It got extremely tight and the right side is...ah-hum...quite distressed!!!
I am planning on using it to make a primitive sheep pretty soon...it is absolutely perfect for that.
I washed my other mahair but was afraid to do the kid, from my past experience...but perhaps it was because of all the other things that happened to it. :doh:

Thank you Kim for all your helpful information and your adorable 'stormie'...is that a miniature?  I never can tell with yours until I see it sitting in your hand... bear_grin
I really like what happens when the furs are washed...it makes them so beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who responded...greatly appreciate it as ususal.
Nanc....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Haven't read all the responses but wanted to add my 2 cents.....

I've washed Schulte Kid Mohair..... softens the backing... does not LOOSEN it.... Schulte is tight to begin with anyway. It softens the mohair a bit too, but doesn't loose it's curl!! If anything it gets fluffier.

My washing technique: washing machine on delicate with cold water... I use pet shampoo (hey, I've got tons so why not? Dogs and goats are both animals!!) and have also used salon quality human hair conditioner and woolite. All have worked just great.

Drying: I gently brush it out to get fur going in the right direction. I usually let it air dry most all the way then throw it in the dryer on gentle/cool to fluff it up..

BEFORE DYING: Try washing the mohair first.... there can be chemicals on the mohair from texture processing that can prevent the dye from taking evenly.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I have NO experience with the washing for mohair, although I do have some schulte kid mohair.  Its been interesting to read the responses....and gosh Stormie is CUTE  bear_wub

Thanks for asking such a great question, Nancy  :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  KIM, Stormie is a honey! More, more--though if you tell us he's only 3" tall, I swear I'll run into traffic again  bear_wub

I don't have the experience of more than a half-dozen mohair washes, only one kid so far (no problem) but I do the job by hand in hot water, rinse well, slather with conditioner, rinse and shake it out, and hang or blow dry. I've been afraid to use the washing machine without zigzagging the cut edges first . . . too lazy so far, and too cheap to lose even the tiniest bit of hair.

There must be a finish on the mohair when it comes from the factory. Does anyone know what?

I think the most important final step is to brush or comb the mohair gently in whatever direction suits you. I think blow-drying and brushing at the same time definitely flattens curl. Even brushing might temporarily flatten curl, but in my limited experience it came back nicely if the piece was air-dried.

Eileen

Hudson, Ohio
Eileen wrote:

bear_original  KIM, Stormie is a honey! More, more--though if you tell us he's only 3" tall, I swear I'll run into traffic again  bear_wub
Eileen

No need to hit the pavement Eileen!!!!! He was about 9 inches tall, if I remember correctly!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  You guys are too funny!

The dye job came out a bit splotchy on him as well.... but I really liked the effect.  It's not the greatest pic of him as far as the lighting goes.... The backing turned from stone to a greyish taupe color, and the mohair itself was varring shades of grey-blue, federal blue, etc.... reminded me exactly of the sky as a storm begins to roll in... thus his name!  I also threw some while tulle and some  silk ribbons in the washer with the mohair.. and they took the Rit color fabulously... I used them to make his tattered little ruff.

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I have never thought to wash mohair in the machine....wish I had before working with a certain length of it.  I made a bear from a dark brown mohair with bleached blonde tips that was awesome until I started working with it.  It just seemed to mat up terribly on the bear as I went along! bear_angry  Must have been due to the bleaching process?  I ended up using a leave in conditioner spray that did help a lot--smelled great too--after little miss bear was all sewn up.  That was kind of a pain though as I really had to spray and comb all of her!  I like to use the spray to direct fur on seams, ears, etc, but the entire bear was too much.  I'm so glad I stumbled across this post----Thanks gals, I'll remember this!  Might just have to try the washing machine ASAP! bear_grin

bear_wub
Tracy

Board footer