Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SilverClaw Posts: 39
Website

Hi guys,

I'm now designing my pattern for my first bear but i've run into a problem! how to do the ruff at the neck.
1385113985_001.jpg

the way i see it, i have two main options, add it in as a separate pattern piece which is longer and so would be gathered in as it is sewn. this would take longer but i may have more control over it.

Or i make the body pattern wider at the top and then gather, or needle sculpt the ruff in. I'm leaning towards this option more as it would be quicker, and i could more easily adjust the ruff if i dont like how its going.

Which way do you guys think is better? or is there a better way to tackle it? In my sketch its a bit exaggerated in size, but i do want it to be a noticable ruff

Also, i just wanted to share the fur i've chosen for my first bear with you. It is a very plush, dense faux fur, with little to no stetch in the backing. Its awesomely soft (its come from leftover bits from the cloak i made my partner) and i cant wait to use it for my bear.
1385114487_resized_for_teddy_talk.jpg

Elli Posts: 102

I would finish the bear with a normal neck (the neck part can be made of cheap fabric) and than drape the plush over it to form the ruff. This may take a little longer, but the pattern is easier to make and it would feel natural since you can stuff the body and inner neck as hard as you wish but leave the outer ruff soft with only a little filling.
If you want the head to be moveable you can make a backbone, I think this would work very well with the ruff.

I love that blue fur, it will make a lovely bear, but a cloak from it must be awesome!  bear_shocked  bear_thumb

SilverClaw Posts: 39
Website

thank you guys so much for the replies! i never new there would be so many ways to address this!

I think i have a fairly good idea of how i want to do it now, so thanks again!

Board footer