Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

teacuplion TeacupLion
Website

Hi all! Long-time lurker (1.5 years?), and I finally have my first bears to share :)

A family friend commissioned me to make 6 custom teddy bears with outfits for children in the family, and I accepted since I make stuffed animal patterns as a hobby-business. However, teddy bears are a whole new ball game - I studied for a year, practiced for a few months, and then only had 2.5 months (on top of a fulltime job) to make six 16" bears by a holiday deadline.

It was quite a challenge, as the customer had a specific look she wanted (semi-traditional-modern). I wanted the pattern to be made from scratch and exclusively for her, so I finished the pattern after about 34 revisions. @_@

I purchased and learned how to use an embroidery machine, as the client requested machine embroidered messages on the feet in small font on suede. (This was a great excuse to get a machine, I've been wanting one). Each bear is made from tissavel from Intercaltg, plastic joints(per customer request), glass eyes, and handsewing areas with upholstery thread for durability. Each also has a custom outfit (not my strong point) by custom request. Pretty much everything was a new experience for these bears; it really helped me get over a fear of failing at trying new things. I'm really glad to be done with these big guys! I'd like to try some 5" jointed animals some time in the future :)

First bear:
WhiteBearwithdressbyTeacupLion_zps9e753caa.jpg

Second bear:
AviatorbearbyTeacupLion_zps6e248c51.jpg

Third bear:
TennesseeVolsBaseballBearbyTeacupLion_zps3d3adfeb.jpg

Fourth bear:
ExplorerBearbyTeacuplion_zpsa1438090.jpg
IMG_0262_zps2e4475be.jpg

Fifth bear:
SittingbrownbearbyTeacupLion_zps987a5eab.jpg

Sixth bear:
WhitebearbyTeacupLion_zpsdb4d668a.jpg

Pattern turnaround:
bearfrontprofilebyteacuplion_zpsa0a901b7.jpg

bearsideprofilebyteacuplion_zps08d032f3.jpg

bearbehindbyteacuplion_zpsd66504f8.jpg

Thank you so much for looking!

4bearswithoutfitsbyTeacupLion_zps32310c9f.jpg

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

fantastic!!! bear_wub

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Laura and welcome to TT!  :rose:

Wow, these bears all look fabulous.  I love their faces and they all look very huggable (for the children) too.  :love:
It's hard to believe these are your first bears!  :o
I certainly hope they won't be your last....  bear_whistle

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Very nice bears!!!!

Miser Miser Bears

Oh wow they look incredible! The noses look superb (for me thats the most difficult bit!)

teacuplion TeacupLion
Website

Thank you veen, Carrie, Peter, tcfolk, and Heather  bear_laugh you're all so kind!
And yes peter, I will be making more bears soon! I'm working on a mini 5~6" bear pattern right now!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm impressed! bear_flower I think you got the style of the bear exactly right, and the outfits are wonderful! I'd love for Santa to put one of these under the tree. bear_original

Becky

teacuplion TeacupLion
Website

Thank you Becky! I was actually thinking of your bear style as I was making these. As these were my first, I couldn't envision them and how they'd turn out. Surprise!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, that's really nice!  bear_original I think you have a real talent, plus patience and perseverance! These bears are truly lovely.

Becky

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub You have done a wonderful job! Yours bears are delightful! You may have been 'lurking' for a while but it was certainly worth the wait can't wait to see more!
michelle

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

You clearly have a talent and your bears are very accomplished and appealing....
I predict a great future!  bear_original

teacuplion TeacupLion
Website

Thank you edmond! I think I researched a little too long (and didn't start sewing soon enough) but it was worth it in the end.

And thank you jenny! Your work continues to be an inspiration to me bear_original I love characters that look like they popped out of a storybook.

Board footer