Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

True Bears True Bears
Chisinau
Website

I need your help. I can't understand how to make the lips of the teddy bears. Most of the one I've seen are made from epoxy clay,but when I see the final result it seems like fabric is soaked with clay,and I can't understand how it's done.. The same story is with the nose,it seems like the nose and the material si one piece and you can't clearly define the borders/edges. Please explain me how it's all done. Thank you bear_wub

something like this
1387922251_albinos.jpg
1387922269_11189_497469113676903_1903943696_n.jpg

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I don't know the answer to your question but I think your bears look wonderful as they are. Beautiful faces.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Possibly it's needle felted and then waxed and varnished. That way it combines with the fabric creating no real line ...it's tricky though....you need practice.

Elli Posts: 102

I guess every artist has their own way to make this...

The first picture looks as if the clay nose was modelled a little bigger and some fur were glued to the edges to cover them.

On the second picture the nose looks normally attached and the lips normally sewn (even though I don't know what material was used for the lips and how the teeth were attached), but the shading looks very realistic. I think the fabric backing was painted black (this has to be done from the backside to leave the hair white), so the "black skin" can be seen through the fur, like on a real polar bear.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Have you tried contacting the artist/s to ask how the noses were created? I agree with Jenny that they were probably needle-felted and then sealed, but there are other possibilities, as Elli mentions. Most bear artists would be willing to give you at least basic information about their bears.

Becky

Elli Posts: 102

The first nose is modelled of epoxy (maybe the lips also?).
The second bear was made by Karin De Lorenzo, right? Then I guess the nose was probably needle felted and sealed with silicone.

I tried both (and a lot of other techniques), but MY noses didn't look that good. bear_grin It's probably not enough to know how it was made... bear_whistle

True Bears True Bears
Chisinau
Website

Thank You for your aswers  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Vero Heck Vero Heck
Pinneberg
Website

Hello, the bears on the first picture were made by me long time ago. Usually I sculpt the noses directly on a muzzle. By these bears lips are needle felted.
By open mouth the lips are sewn.

Board footer