Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Picture-1902.jpgHi everyone,
I have a VERY important message~ If You Love Your Dogs PLEASE DON'T GIVE THEM GREENIES- NO MATTER WHAT!!!
My dogs have been eating greenies for a year or longer, probably one a day & they totally love 'em. They never had any problems with them what so ever. The last couple weeks I seen a lot of bad stories on the news about dogs dyeing or had serious problems because they can't be digested properly. Since then we stopped giving them to our dogs. Well, on Friday I happen to find one in the treat jar that didn't get thrown away. Instead of just tossing it I figured what could one last one hurt, they never had a problem with them before, nothing will happen to my dogs.
Well, that was a huge mistake on my part & one I'm totally regretting. My Dobbie Magic had to have emergency surgery today to remove a piece impacted in her intestines. It caused so much damage they had to removed part of her intestines. She's in ICU tonight at the Univ. of Penn & were praying she's going to make it. I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel, it's all my fault & this could have all been prevented if I would have just thrown it way.
PLEASE learn from my mistake & pass the word to boycott greenies.
~ Sandy   bear_cry

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Sandy! I am so very sorry to hear about your sweet dog. Please forgive me, but what are Greenies? Do you mean green vegs? Just not sure what you mean. Saying a prayer for your loving pet.

Many Hugs Louise

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

20398006_sm1.jpg011GRN-SL.sm1.jpgLouise, Thanks for your prayers I really think Magic is going to need an angel by her side tonight. ~ Sandy

This is greenies, they sell them in all the pet stores. The makers say they are safe but they are super hard so they cannot be digested or broke down once in the body.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Sandy,  I'm so sorry to hear about Magic, and it's so hard when you feel like you are partly responsible.  Don't be to hard on yourself - it' just one of those life lessons we all have to deal with.  I'm glad Magic got the care she needed and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope she is back on her feet really soon.  Take care & give Magic a hug for me.

Hugs,

Brenda

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet dobbie Magic.
I keep him in my prayers.

Hugs/Marie

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I'm so sorry to hear about Magic! I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.  :hug:

hugs,

LynBlair Posts: 139

Oh, I'm so sorry!   bear_sad   This is so freaking heartbreaking!  Best wishes for the best outcome possible.

Big hugs,
Lyn

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Everything's crossed for you and Magic!!

Unfortunately there are loads of things on the market we shouldn't give to dogs but we do because the manufacturer says it's ok.

I lost a beautiful cocker spaniel a few years ago because I fed her on tinned dog food all her life and she died of Pancreatitis.  It breaks your heart.

Now we feed our dogs on a natural raw diet and rarely give treats...so far so good!!

These manufacturers have a lot to answer for.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Sandy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Magic. Hugs and prayers for both of you.  :hug:

Don't beat yourself up, Sandy. I gave my Lucy Dentabones for several months until the expense did me in. I discovered a tartar-control chow that works better, but who knows what's in that?

I think Jenny's right about the natural raw diet. I'm only partly there, but I've got to find a good source for less expensive meaty bits. I spoke to a man in the park once whose dog had been chewing its own foot raw until a vet recommended raw meat and cooked veggies and grains.

Our new doggy Bear comes from my sister's vegetarian household. Last Sunday he reached up and confiscated most of a sirloin tip roast from the counter! Who could blame him? He'd probably never seen so much meat in his life! Even Hubs said not a word (probably couldn't think of any) just cut the remains into 3 pieces and gave one to each of the dogs.

Anyway, I'm praying for precious Magic's recovery, and I'm very grateful for the tip. The greenies are very prominently displayed in our local PetValue, and I'm going to inform the owner about the dangers.

Keep us posted, Sandy!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Sandy don't blame yourself for Magics illness, I do hope he is soon well again. I know just how much we all love our pets, I love my three dogs so much that it breaks my heart if any of them get sick. I have never seen Greenies here in England but if I do I will tell my friends who own the pet store about the terrible problem they have caused for Magic.

Hugs Jane  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sandy, you've had such a heartbreaking run with your beloved dogs of late.   bear_sad   I'm really feeling for you, and am so sorry to hear about MAGIC.  Warm healing thoughts coming your way!

:hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Sandy - Sorry to hear this... I will stay away from them.... I would contact the company and let them know, maybe they will pay your vet bills, maybe not - either way, I think they deserve to know that this was caused by their product...

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Sandy I am SO sorry to hear about Magic!  bear_cry   Good thoughts and prayers your way.... :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Sorry to hear about Magic. I will send this information on to my daughter, whose dogs love the greenies. My dog never liked them, so I don't buy them. I have been giving him Dental Stix, which are a rawhide bar with mint and parsley.....he enjoys them, but he doesn't get them everyday.

I hope Magic is up and about with you again soon........
Ellen

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_cry I'm SO sorry to hear your beloved Magic is in the hospital  bear_cry   I do feel she's in the best possible place for a full recovery, though.  I'll be sending along positive vibes for a speedy recovery..and you mustn't beat yourself up over this  :hug:   I'm sure Magic wouldn't want you angsting over it, she knows you love her.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about Magic.   bear_cry  What a sad situation, but don't blame yourself.  It's just one of those things that happens.  I hope she will be O.K.   Hugs and prayers to you.

nettie scotland
Website

I have everything crossed for your poor dog.We don't have those treats her in Scotland but like Jennie mine don't get anything other than the odd green pepper apple or carrot besides their dried food.It was kind of you to warn everyone at this difficult time.
Diane xxx

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I used to give Greenies to Tucker, our older (but not more mature) Wheaten Terrier. The first few weeks seemed to be fine. Then he was forever gagging on pieces, throwing them back up or they came out the other end in large pieces. I don't think dogs can properly digest Greenies to be honest but that could just be my dog.

The grocery stores and pet supply stores are FULL of things you should NOT feed your dog!!!!! I could stand on my soap box for hours about that one! Luckily, though I hadn't seen it as a good thing, Wheatens tend to have allergies to tons of products and by-products found in a majority of commercial dog foods. From feeding Tucker Iams he developed a kidney problem, other food made him burp or throw up daily. Some caused room-evacuating gas. The holistic or all-natural foods were too rich for him. He's now on a perscription dry dog food from the vet. It's expensive but I give it to both of our dogs and they are so healthy now... no problems. And they love it. (The alternative was a homemade recipe of people food but I don't like to cook for me, never mind dogs!) They get one kind of natural dog treat but that's it. Oh, and string cheese when I'm doing training.

I've read many many places that once you find a good dog food that your dog likes and one or two types of treats, your dog will be happy with those for life... they don't get bored of their food as people would. We tend to give our dogs too many 'human feelings and emotions' that they really don't have!

I hope that Magic will be OK.
I agree with Kim..... write to the Greenies company. Perhaps your vet will even write a quick note confirming the problem, what had to be done and I think sending a copy of the vet bill wouldn't hurt.

Big Hugs from me and my woofies.....
Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Sandy I was revisiting your thread to see if there was any news on Magic bear_sad 

I have emailed ALL of my family and friends with dogs...

I also did a search on Snopes.com  They have this story marked as "undetermined" because they don't have enough proof yet I guess.  I have forwarded on Magic's story to them in the hopes that they mark this story as "TRUE" as soon as possible!!!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Sandy, I am so sorry to hear about Magic. I'll keep him in my prayers for a full recovery. Thank you for sharing this with us so we can all be aware.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So very sorry for Magic's condition, Sandy . . . and please try not to blame yourself.  I went through the same guilt feelings after our beautiful and wonderful Spitz died of a sudden heart attack.  I had been giving her Rimadyl for her serious arthritis for a couple of years and didn't know of its terrible side effects until too late.  I do still think it was that medication that hastened her demise.  But . . . as we all know . . . the guilt serves no purpose other than to make us feel awful and is not necessary.  Am sending my best vibes to you and Magic.  Let us know when you can.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OH, that is soo sad! How awful. Even though it's not your fault, I can see how you feel.
I'll be sending all my good thoughts your way.

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Sandy, My thoughts are with you and Magic at this time.  Dobes are prone to intestinal blockage problems and we've heard a few over the years and indeed lost our darling 'Benny' a few years ago when an unthinking neighbour threw a chop bone over the fence. We don't have greenies here, but there are so many products out there that shouldn't be on the market...it makes me so angry.
Prayers and good wishes for Magic and you.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Sandi,  bear_flower
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, Magic.   bear_cry  bear_cry   Golly gee, I don't know what else to say. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I am sorry to hear about Magic, too.  Sending my thoughts and prayers.  I haven't heard of greenies but I am glad you told us about them.  Our dogs are a big part of our family too.  Thanks for the warning.
Joan

Board footer