Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Spike4.jpgI did post this on the main selling thread but I thought you mini people would appreciate that I completed a personal challenge today - to make a mohair mini under 3 inches - I have done this before but about 4 years ago pre losing all confidence in my mini making abilities.

I am pretty pleased with Spike - there's a couple of things I'd change but I do want to try out the pattern again.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my gosh! Do they come any cuter?? I don't think so!

Many Hugs louise

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Using mohair on someone this tiny is a skill that I have attempted and failed at quite a few times!!!!!!  melissa... you have my utmost respect and admiration.... Spike is adorable!

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Wonderful :clap:  :clap: Marvelous  :dance:  :dance:
Clever, clever bear artist  :dance:  :dance:
Love his pictures on your website  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
:hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

VERY CUTE!!!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I could never do one that small in mohair. Way to go Melissa! :dance:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

way too cute! This is a really cute bear! Nice work

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

"Please sir... May I have some more?"  Is what I can just about hearing this little guy saying... HOW CUTE!!

Kimberly W.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

VERY CUTE!!!! :clap:

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thankyou guys - Spike has found a new home so is jetting off to the UK tomorrow.

The secret is damn good fraystop - can't go past Aleene's for minis as it keeps the fabric flexible.  After shredding one ear I fraystopped the entire ear and it worked like a charm.

I want to try a couple more at this size - it was kinda fun.  The trick is finding the right mohair which is nigh on impossible.

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Melissa, you have my respect! I can't sew smaller then 4 inch. And 4" tall - is a nightmare for me.. bear_shocked

Very sweet bear!

Julia :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

Well done.I used to make two inch mohair bears but that was back when english mohair was available.It hd such a tight backing.Intercals tt600 is almost as tight and I have used this before.I find ironing after fray checking makes the fabric supple again.
Diane xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahh Melissa,

Spike is such a cute little guy...oh I understand, he's a 'man's man' ( what does that mean anyway?)  But he sure is cute about it!

Congratualtions on such a fab babe...

dilu

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks for the ironing hint Diane - guess I'll have to buy myself an iron   bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_tongue

I do find the Aleene's stays really flexible - unlike the other fraystops I've used - also it doesn't have the horrible toxic smell the clear ones do.  Only problem is, there seems to be just one shop in the country that carries it! 

I find it hard to find the mohair for the ones this small - I like to make scruffy looking bears and so much of the short stuff is smooth.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh wow Melissa!  :clap:   Mohiar is so hard to work with in minis...I can imagine all the work you put into this little guy!  He is gorgeous  bear_wub
xo sarah

Board footer