Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Hi all,

I've got a few teddy bears in my hug who've always been floppy by design---I'm not sure why this is, perhaps the way they've been made, etc.  Notably I'm referring to my Mothers's protoype teddy as well as a few inherited bears.  They just don't sit upright and fall over, and feel rather loose.  I've noticed they've gotten worse in some respects where they're on my shelf, and might not get moved unless I'm cuddling/cleaning them.

So is there anything I can do for these poor floppy bears?  Most of them are stuffed with kapoc, I think, certainly nothing more exotic than that.

TIA!

-- Thomas Adam

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well my sister who is an orthopaedic nurse once gave me a tip which has nothing to do with teddy bear making. When I once had that problem with floppy bear joints many years ago ..after the bear was complete...I wondered how I could tighten the joint without taking the whole bear apart. She told me that in traction applied  in hospital where a joint was wobbly....( the traction...not the actual joint) they would wind tape or string around the connection and this would hold the joint more firmly. So on those old wobbly teddy joints I tried winding whipping twine around the joint ...between the leg and the body...and it works. It's not a substitute for making joints nice and tight when making bears from scratch but works very well for fixing floppy teddies. That said I like floppy teddies just as they are....

Board footer