Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

A nearby upholstery store had a huge sale recently and I bought several yards of upholstery velvet, unaware of the differences in brands. I was disappointed to find this is not at all like the Malden Mills remnant I got my hands on years ago. This particular velvet isn't quite long enough in pile to mimic small scale mohair and lacks the square backing. Some of it actually a very thick backing that makes sewing a finger destroying ordeal and turning even more difficult. It frays, but tacky glue applied around the edges of the pieces with a toothpick solved that. Despite the hardships, I managed to make a kind of sorry looking 6" bear with the stuff. I'm going to try the velvet with the thinner backing next, and see if it's at all suitable for plushies.

Any ideas for salvaging this fabric? If I can't get it to work for stuffed toys, what else could I make with it?

(Please let me know if this is in the wrong subforum)

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

If the pile is very short, perhaps it would make good paw pads for larger bears? There is also the option of using it for clothing - jackets, bows etc. Upholstery velvet is gorgeous but can be tricky to work with. Friends have gifted me with several pieces over the years - some of these pieces had a sort of nylon backing that I actually couldn't stitch without it falling apart and some had such a tendency to fray that I need to use an iron-on interfacing...so I can sympathise with your difficulties! bear_original
I tend to use upholstery velvet for larger bears, with the short pile a feature (it makes a nice antique-looking bear). 

Claire.

LitWit Posts: 298

Have you tried making larger-scale animals with it? Maybe a dachshund, or a "velveteen Rabbit?" Or is it too stiff?

Copi Khatz Creations wrote:

If the pile is very short, perhaps it would make good paw pads for larger bears? There is also the option of using it for clothing - jackets, bows etc. Upholstery velvet is gorgeous but can be tricky to work with. Friends have gifted me with several pieces over the years - some of these pieces had a sort of nylon backing that I actually couldn't stitch without it falling apart and some had such a tendency to fray that I need to use an iron-on interfacing...so I can sympathise with your difficulties! bear_original
I tend to use upholstery velvet for larger bears, with the short pile a feature (it makes a nice antique-looking bear). 

Claire.

I never thought about paw pads, that's a great idea. I'll definitely have to use interfacing next time, much less messy than glue. It's really hot where I live and light jackets are only used a few months out of the year. I've been entertaining the idea of bags or pillowcases. I don't make dollhouses but I wonder if it could be used to upholster dollhouse furniture?

LitWit wrote:

Have you tried making larger-scale animals with it? Maybe a dachshund, or a "velveteen Rabbit?" Or is it too stiff?

The pile's probably too short for larger animals, but I started planning out your dachshund suggestion, then for some reason my mind went to stoat. I think I have all the colors for that. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

I didn't have the right colors for a stoat, but I did have the right colors for a long tailed weasel. This is my first time ever doing a realistic stuffed animal, it's scary but a lot of fun too.

Here's pattern test #1
10623089_10201804648552679_556060077824550888_n.jpg
This one is craft felt, but I got some muslin today so hopefully Pattern Test #2 will look better.

The tail needs to be lowered, the chin piece shortened to retain the proper snout shape, and the ears need to be a little smaller I think. I messed up when I was setting the eyes, and the head lost the proper weasel profile, but at least I won't have to fix that on the pattern. If you guys have any other suggestions for improvements, I'd love to hear them!

I need to get some more black beads, I don't have any of the right size so I had to use shiny gold ones as placeholders. The final plushie will have a wire armature inside, which should give the legs more shape. I'll be adding horsehair whiskers to the final as well.

This was my first time doing pulled toes, it's much harder than I expected and they're pretty embarrassing looking, luckily you can't tell in the photos.

The final version will have a much larger underside piece with corresponding chunks taken out of the side pieces so that the cream colored belly extends far enough.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great job on your first effort!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I like the stoat! bear_flower I might remove some of the lower jaw on the side pieces to make the head pointier and more rodent-y.

Well-done!

Becky

Thank you!

The side pieces on the head are actually a lot pointier, I just screwed up on the pattern test.
1408401180_head.png
I can still remove a little if you think it's a good idea.

Parts of the head pieces are going to be moved to the underside piece for the cream markings, and I'm not sure how that's going to influence the head shape, if at all. Once I finish editing the pattern and make Test #2 I'll find out!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That's the fun of a test pattern -Tweak it and see! bear_thumb

I really like his whole stoat-y pose!

Becky

LitWit Posts: 298

I like his profile. And his cute little toes.   bear_original

10353648_10201858776425842_6851632976258235103_n.jpg

Pattern test #2, I got some muslin this time instead of craft felt. I'm not super happy with it. In particular, the head seems too rodent-like. I guess a weasel head should be flatter and more wedge shaped. I'm thinking the head needs to be a little smaller, and possibly the neck as well. Or maybe the body should just be longer? I'm not gonna add whiskers until I work out the head shape.

I'm hoping the tail will look less stiff once I put an armature in it, it needs to be lowered a little bit more as well. I expect the front legs to have a better shape with an armature in them as well. I'm still fiddling with the eye and ear placement and would greatly appreciate any tips!

I'm getting a little better at pulling toes, but I still need lots more practice.

Any other suggestions for improvements?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You're on your way! bear_flower (And having fun, yes?)

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Think you're heading in the right direction . . . looking good!  I had a ferret for about 10 years and think you improve the pattern a little by shortening the neck and tail some.  Also can you taper the tail toward the end?  I realize armature will make a big difference.  Your pattern is really coming along.

Thank you! I don't know if I'd call it "fun" just yet, I'm so terrified of screwing up, haha

I always wanted a ferret as a kid but my mom wouldn't let me have one 'cause she doesn't like their teeth, and yet she has no problem with my tarantula collection bear_rolleyes

I agree that the neck needs shortening. As for the tail, the animal I'm specifically making is a long-tailed weasel, Mustela frenata. If I adapt this pattern to other mustelids I'll definitely shorten the tail.

I actually made the tail wider at the end, since the fabric I'm using has a pretty short pile and I wanted to simulate tail poof. I can give a tapered tail a shot though, Tails are so easy to experiment with.

I'm not 100% sure how to go about anchoring the armature in the skull. Most of the armature instructions I've seen on this site are for plushies where the head and body are separate pieces. I might make a "skull" type thing at the end of the armature spine and wrap it in batting so I can anchor the fabric to it.

Bad news, when I was turning a leg the interfacing finally gave out and the fabric pretty much exploded. Definitely should have used fray-check instead of interfacing, but I think the backing is just too thick for the scale I work on. Everything was going ok up till then though.

This was my second attempt trying to work with this velvet. It's not the good, grid-backed stuff and it's just not suited to working on a small or tiny scale. I think larger, vintage bears would be all it's good for. However, large bears aren't really my thing and neither is vintage. Do people ever trade supplies on TT? Think I could find someone who could put it to better use than I would?

Board footer