Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

I've been seeing mention of using prismacolor pencils, oil pastels, and oil paint for detailing on plushies. I don't want to use oil paint if I can help it, the smell gives me a headache and I'd worry about the fumes hurting my pets.

Do details drawn in oil pastel need to be sealed to prevent smearing? How well do prismacolor pencils work? Are there any tricks I need to know about using these?

Tedz Tedz

Good question!  I was also wondering the same.  I used to sketch and paint, so have a lot of bits and pieces, but nothing I could use for detailing on bears.  Pastels weren't something I was keen on working with, so I don't have any!  So I'm looking out for some good quality but reasonably priced pastels.  In the shops here, I've only managed to find very basic ones, not what I'm after.  I'm not going to be painting Monet's, but just adding little details to bears faces/paws etc, so want the range of colours.

A trick I used to do with charcoal or pencil sketches, was to spray the picture afterwards with hairspray.  I found it worked MUCH better than the sealant artist sprays, only a fraction of the cost and no nasty fumes, just a mild perfumy scent.  I have lung problems, so I need to be careful what I use, and that was the safest option for me.  Whether that would work on fabric or not, I don't know.  I guess it would, but maybe try it out on a test piece of fabric first.  If all else fails, you can still use sealants, but spray it outside, and when you bring the finished piece in, then store it in a different room from your animals.  I do that myself, with any chemicals I need to avoid breathing in - for our animals sake as well as my own

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I have tried several methods. Oil paint, acrylics, Copic markers and pastels (NOT oil pastels). I think you don't need to worry about oil paint fumes, as you really use such a tiny amount that it is undetectable. You also don't need to seal it.
I think it also depends on the kind of fabric you need to shade. On the fur, both mohair and faux fur, my favourite is oil paint (there are some threads here in the library that teach you how to apply it). EX: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=611
If I need to colour or shade needle felting, then my favourite is diluted acrylic paint. Prisma or Copic markers are good for small detailing, but I am no expert in this field as I use them seldom.
I think you should consider that shading one of your creations is not like painting on a canvas, you really need tiny tiny tiny amounts of colour, and you need to see the colour but it is better if you don't 'feel' it, it shouldn't make the fur clumpy or sticky.
If you have a look in the library, there are threads aplenty on several of the aforesaid mediums, I have also learned a lot from them!
Good luck with your experimenting! bear_original

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

I work with pastel pencils for shading quite a lot - I simply grind some pastel powder by scribbling on a piece of paper, then apply this powder to the bear using a paint brush. This works well on both needle felting and fur pile. The fibres in the fabric retain the pastel really well - in fact, I find I have to work slowly when shading this way as once the pastel is on the fabric it is hard to remove. I have never needed to use a sealant. I also work with acrylic paints quite a bit, diluted with either a small amount of water or Winsor and Newton Flow Improver. I would be inclined to avoid any oil paints/pastels blended with linseed oil, as it can have a caustic effect on the fabric over time.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Here is a link to the topic on shading that is in our library . . . maybe there is something helpful there.  http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?ac … y&tag_id=2

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

Thank you everyone! I've been reading up in the Library and I'm going to play around with coloring and heat setting tonight. I have a lot of copics I can try using as well, I was just worried Copic color would be too intense.

Board footer