Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

After 3 valiant but unsuccessful attempts to make the thick-backed velvet behave, I think I need to spring for the proper fabric. I'm entertaining the idea of ordering some mohair from Intercal, but I've never even seen the material in person, let alone worked with it. Are there any important information I should know about it before I make a purchase? Any tips from you old veterans?

Considering the animals I plan to make with it, I intend to buy straight mohair, but curly styles seem to be much more popular. Does anyone know why that is?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do like straight mohair also. I am unsure why most like curly or wavy, but I do know that when it comes off the animals back it is wavy or curly, that may be part of the reason.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love all types of mohair. Here are a couple of my straight-mohair critters: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=51485

I think straight mohair has a nice simplicity and can emphasize the shape of the animal while curly mohair can give a lovely luxurious look.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Crawly, I think you'll find that mohair will be MUCH easier to work with than the velvet.  I like straight and slightly wavy mohair, but I'm not a big fan of the kinky, curly type.  Think the type of animal you intend to make would influence your choice of mohair.  If I wanted to make a stuffed dog like the live one I have, I'd need to choose a wavy fabric.  But a life-like bear would need straight fur.

Yeah, I feel like for animals such as you made, Dangerbears, straight fur is a much more realistic choice, even when it's a teddy.

Here's a photo of the resulting carnage when I tried turning the legs 10404134_10201890337334845_4514705042833361503_n.jpg?oh=3cc0bc1720d446734fde442abc1d01ac&oe=5479D804&__gda__=1416902064_fa1f2e3b75135010353d7c32004f4540

The head shape turned out pretty solid, but way more otter like than weasely. That works out fine though, since Sea Otter was next on my to do list.

I'm not quite sure about the length though. I'm thinking 1/2" would better for the smallish scale I work on? Is there much difference between alpaca and straight mohair?

I've also got to decide what colors to use. I need to figure out how to make the silvery bib/muzzle of a sea otter. Is it better to buy white fabric then dye the colors I need? There doesn't seem to be much selection of straight mohair on Intercal right now.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh you are going to love working with mohair!  I love working with both straight and wavy mohair.  If your animals are a lot like your weasel/otter bear_happy  then you will want to stick with straight mohair.  He's turning out quite cute but I'm sorry about his leg bear_sad 

I like to get white and also shades of tan so I can dye it.  Yes, I'll dye tan mohair too, not just white!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ohhh... That must have been frustrating!  bear_sad

I agree that you'll love the switch to mohair. I'd say 1/2" or even shorter--maybe 3/8"--for you. Alpaca usually has a more matte and fuzzy finish while mohair is silkier and with more sheen (in general). I'd definitely use mohair for a sleek-looking otter.

Becky

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I'll go with the 3/8" mohair then, since I was worried the 1/2" might be too long, especially on the legs. I think I'll make a few pattern tests before I place an order though. I've got school and my time for crafts is more limited than I'd like.

Laura, what are the benefits and effects of dyeing tan mohair?

I gotta read up on dyeing now. I haven't made it all the way through the Dyeing section of the Library yet, but if any of you have tips I'd be happy to hear em.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi CC,

The benefits of dyeing tan mohair is just that you get a different color/shade than you get when you dye white mohair :)

Have fun!

Board footer