Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Inquiring minds want to know... When making small bears with small seam allowances, do you fray check before stitching or after? I can guess at advantages and disadvantages to both and would love some experienced opinions.
Suzanne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Suzanne,

I prefer to fray check before I even cut my bear out on the small ones bear_laugh

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Suzanne,
I have made only few small one but I also
prefer to use fray check before sewing.

Good Luck,
Marie

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I make tinybears, not just gollies, and usually 3"....I draw the sewing line on the fabric, cut around it in a oval- don't cut out the piece yet.
Then I sew and trim excess fabric...

If I have used a loose weeve and am worried about too much manipulation I will use fraycheck- otherwise I don't worry

Also I use 1.5 stitch and tighten my tension a little-  then making the ittybittys on the machine is easy....

I do hand sew the gussets on the little ones though.

Try it- it'll make your sewing experience more pleasant....

Also I use an open toe type foot on the machine so that I can see the sewing line really well....

let us know if this works for you...

Dilu  being serious for a change  bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm with the majority . . . fray-check before stitching!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't make little bears so this is new and interesting to me. 

So... you're saying that when making a really tiny bear, you trace your pattern onto fabric as usual and then run fray check around the trace line?  And  THEN you cut on that line?

Doesn't the fray check cause the trace line to bleed?

I've also read that some people sew their pieces together before cutting out at all.

I'm not in the market to make minis anytime soon -- I do NOT, unlike many of you, find hand-stitching to be therapeutic or soothing; I just feel inept at it -- but I would love to understand this better. 

Knowledge is power!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website
Shelli wrote:

So... you're saying that when making a really tiny bear, you trace your pattern onto fabric as usual and then run fray check around the trace line?  And  THEN you cut on that line?

Doesn't the fray check cause the trace line to bleed?

That's exactly how I make my smaller bears. I found that Sharpie (!!) bleeds but the "uniball vision" pens are a dream on fabric, and they don't bleed!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Yes, Shelli and Kirsten..
I'm making 15inch white mohair bear now
and I used fray check on ears then I found out the
pink bleeding on ear, this is white mohair !!!!
Oh no...I just found out this last night at 11pm.

I want that "uniball vision" pens !!!!
I hope I can buy this pen thru internet.

Hugs/Marie

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Yes, This pen sounds good.Where can we purchase it ?.Hugs Rita x

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Thanks for the help.:)Funnily enough, I used a uniball pen to trace my pattern,too but for a different reason... I tend to drag my hand along the fabric when cutting ended up with yucky black stuff on my hands. It came off the fabric easily enough, but not off my hands.:P I had to wait for it to wear off, and I serve food most of the day! Thank goodness for plastic gloves-  I just left them on most of that day.
Suzanne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I LOVE the gel pens made by Pentel!!  These do NOT bleed!!  And they come in a bunch of colors so that you can see your lines no matter what color your mohair is!

Shelli

That's not how I do it.....I draw the sewing line then cut the pieces out in ovals....then sew.  When I trim the excess fabric away and if the fabric is the type to fray then I use fray check...

Edinburgh has mini bear plush type fabric that doesn't fray no matter how much I manipulate it...

but allot of the fabric will fray, especially manipulating tiny little arms and legs so then  I fraycheck

If this doesn't make sense I'll post pictures.....later.....today I gota date...

Dilu

PS

Shelli

I use the machine for the smallest-my smallest bear is 2"...sometimes though they get so small that they loose definition....maybe its me

anyway I'm not a big hand sewer either  except on the small 4" and under bears I do hand sew the gusset

Bye....

Dilu

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

The uniball is sold in office supply stores, and there another pen called the micron I've used. I don't think that bleeds.
Laura- I've never tried gel pens, I wasn't sure they were water and fray check proof! I'll have to try that next time! bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use a marker - cant remember the brand or official name - but it is disappearing ink - I tried the sharpie route but found that it shows through... i love the disappearing ink though!  I got it at Joanne Fabrics - it takes maybe overnight to disappear and then *poof* it is gone!  bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

I also use gel pens because they don't bleed, learnt after a very huge disaster when fraychecking a cut out bear using biro once - eeeeek - what a mess!!!!:o

Wow Dilu, I can't believe you sew bears that small on the sewing machine, I wish I could spend a day with you to see how that's done.   Actually I don't get on at all well with my electric sewing machine at all, I guess it's practice makes perfect!!   What machine do you use??   Sorry, I'm sooo nosy!!:P

Hi Clare

I come at bearing and gollying from a different perspective than you-I was making my own clothing in JR.HI....and some things in 6th grade.  I have studied so many different types of sewing....The machine is an extension of me....it never occured to me that I couldn't do it on the machine....

Sometimes thats best....if you don't know you 'can't' do it you just go ahead and do it...:)

When I am not so wonkered I'll post a little mini lesson with pictures....cuz it is sew easy.:D:D

My work horse is an old PFAFF 7550-it does everything, never gives me a lick of trouble, and I don't like wasting time learning new machines-the learning curve and all-when I would rather be 'doing something'

For machine embroidery I use a 7575-(I design my own embroidery designs....oddly enough the first ones were teddies.....maybe I'll post a picture of a quilt with the teddies on it......

My hunnybunny wanted to get me a new Pfaff a few years ago the 21 something-or-other....but I said I'd rather have fabric than spend that much money on a machine.....

Now I do bearing.....boy did I get my wish----the money we can spend on supplies!

Yikes :lol::lol::lol:

Dilu

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Marie,
I know that you can remove fray stoppa with alcohol (now don't run off and slosh whiskey on your bear or anything...hear me out!;)). You can get it from the pharmacy. Just keep dabbing at it with clean alcohol soaked cotton wool balls. Someone on the other list said that it removed the ink that the fray check cause to bleed too so don't stress yet....try the alcohol.:)
Also...sharpies and biros should never be used on fabric....and that's why...because they bleed. Like some of the other girls have said, gel pens work great and don't bleed...and you can buy ultra fine tipped ones for tracing mini pieces too.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Dilu, you give me courage to use the sewing machine!! :D

Maybe this has been covered already . . . but what kind of foot works best for sewing teddies? I've only got a zigzag and a zipper.

Eileen

Eileen,

1.  the chances are very good that you can get other feet for your machine-Toronto, being a major hub, probably has many sewing machine stores- take one of your feet in so that they can tell if it  hi or lo shank or slant or whatever.....then you have a choice of many feet.

Sewing machine feet aren't expensive, US $ 4-8 -so don't hesitate to check it out because you are worried that it will cost $20-30....

If you decide not to get a new foot then try both and see what works best.  I find on some fabrics an open toe is great however if I had a zipperfoot
I would align the fabric so that my sewing line is to the right of the zipper foot, that way the foot is holding more of the fabric securely for you.  also if you have drawn your stitching line instead of your cutting line you will be able to see where each stitch is going and make micro-corrections as you go.

Also if you have a needle down feature try using it...it is kind of like an extra hand, and can help keep yur fabric from slipping around.  Some of the lucious plush mohairs like to do that....especially the 1/4" mini bear mohair from That Other Web Site.  Although it is nice fabric and doesn't fray.

Anyway don't let the machine intimidate you-you are the master of your sewing room!  Says she, who only has a 12" space to stand in.....:lol::lol:

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Dilu-Girl :D

I feel pumped and confident! I've made clothing, slipcovers, etc. by machine, but never animals. Gotta jump in & do it.

I don't think I've got a needle-down feature, unless it's that little lever at the back that lowers the needle? If not, my machine and I are way behind the times, but we're both still functional.

I'm going to try the zipper foot today--I've been marking the stitching lines for hand sewing anyway. TODAY, once I finish with my 1:00 student and get my machine out from behind the 'ironing pile' . :lol:

We've got a Singer store not far from here--I'm sure I can get feet.

Eileen

Way to go Eileen.

Back when I took psych nursing seriously I read a study on Alzheimer's

The psychologists studied nuns in Wisconsin-home of Judikins- and here's what they found. 

The nuns who read, did crossword puzzles, tried to learn new things, did NOT get the dreaded mind stealing disease. 

The little gal sisters who didn't do anything except watch tv at the end of the day did.

Hmmmmmm

The good sisters didn't have bearmaking as an alternative, but I am hoping that the key was using the part of the brain that learns new things and keeps the verbal and written skills up to par....

something to think about....while we still can!  :lol::lol:

Dillydoop  bear_tongue

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Good to know, Dilu--Thanks, Nurse bear_laugh

Sometimes I think that the 'learning new things' part of my brain is the ONLY part I use. At least it's the part that seems to work best. The 'clean the oven' part is all withered up . . .

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Ho Ho....Ha Ha... Ho Ho.... Ho....and LOL all the way to my kitchen, I am with you Eileen ...Winney

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hayley, Thank you for your advice ! I will try the alcohol :D
I will try to find the Jell Pen for next time.

Dilu, I wish to be the Sewing Machine Killer as you. he he
Hugs/Marie

Board footer