Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I just went thru 2 days of having my computer down...YIKES!!!  I am totally addicted to this thing, it was awful!
Anyway, I was told it is VITAL to update you internet security on a daily basis.

A new virus came thru my security because I didn't update (I am really bad about doing that...once a month is the usual for me).
This was some kind of mass mailing virus.  Anyway, I just got it back today and it had a total 'cleaning' done.  I am going to update everyday, just thought I would pass it on.

I understand what happens, is these virus makers, come up with something new all the time ( I use Norton) and they are constantly doing whatever they do to counteract this stuff...and when you don't update, it of course misses it.  They do have 'patches'...but I had no idea how to do that, so I had to take it to the 'Dr's'.

:hug:
nanc.......

this if just a FIY note.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Nancy, I totally understand what you've gone through as the same thing happened to us about a week ago.  Our computer was so messed up, and we did have to take it in also.  That is just the worst thing to be deprived of internet!!! bear_cry   I felt cut off from the world.......I did manage to get on TT though by using my mom's computer! bear_grin  bear_grin   Turns out we got two viruses from free downloads on Limewire.  So......be careful anyone using this even if you are scanning the files before installing them.  Hubby broke down and paid for a subscription to an advanced Limewire service.  It's supposed to be safer.  Hope so as we really like downloading the music. 

Anyway, glad your computer is back up and running Nancy! bear_wub

:hug:
Tracy

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

If you can you should set your computer to do automatic updates
Hugs
Gail

Wow, thank you Lisa...that was a nice 'read' this morning!! and especially coming from a bear artist such as yourself.  Thank you!

Tracy, I think...just guessing here, not really sure...mine came with something called Incredimail.  At least that seems to be when all my problems started and they had to do a recovery to get it off my desk-top etc.  The funny thing is, I didn't download it, but I started enough of it to let it do a desktop icon, I guess.
It is cute little emotiocons for your email.  My son in laws tells me to stop downloading stuff, but it is so much fun.
I run everything Norton has available and I have heard there are programs way more powerful than that...however they are so powerful that nothing gets thru and causes problems with emails etc.  Too much filtering.
I wish these people who make up all these virus problems, would find a real job...like the rest of us...you know, making teddy bears.  :dance:

Gail, I thought it was automatically doing that.  Evidently you still have to do a daily update.  I don't understand all of this, but I am going to do it NOW!!!

nanc..........

oh, oh, opps, my appolgises to encredimail.  It was just a coincidence then!  BUT for sure, once you get them even half way installed, you cannot get them off... bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I've just went through the same thing Nancy
I wont be downloading from the internet again, for awhile. haha
You never know what is going to piggyback it self into your system. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Matilda bear_thumb

Board footer