Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

zsuzsi Posts: 25
Website

I’m planning to design and craft an embroidered a bear for my mum. I’m planning to embroider his belly. What do You recommend? Should I embroider the fur prior sewing the parts together, or after I turned and stuffed him? Both ways are sensible to me, as I might damage the embrioidery on turning him, and It would be a lot harder to embroider after stuffing the bear. Or maybe half stuff him and then embroider?
Does anybody have experience with embroidering bears?

Thanks for Your help!

Zsuzsi

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Zsuzsi, I don't have experience with this, but I would probably sew the two belly pieces together and the do my embroidery. Unless the bear is tiny, turning the body isn't very traumatic. I don't think the embroidery would be damaged.

Do you know of any bear artists whose embroidered bears you've seen, and whom you could contact directly? I'd think they'd be happy to tell you what works for them.

Looking forward to seeing what you make!

Becky

Website

Thanks, Becky, for your advice.
I contacted an artist, as You suggested, and whom I really admire, and She told me, she had done it both ways.
So I think I'll figure it out for myself, and see how it goes.
Once I'm finished I'll share both my experience and some pics as well. But first I'll have to take a quick course in object photo shooting, as taking decent pictures is always a challenge for me!

Website

Well, he is not a bear, yet he's embroidered.
I wanted to try my embroidering skills on a teddy before I create the "one" for my mum. So here he is: a hare, embroidered before sewing the belly parts together. He's cca. 16" tall. There was no damage to the satin ribbons on turning him inside-out.

Zsuzsi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good job, Zsuzsi!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow - brilliant!  bear_flower

Becky

Website

Thank You, Becky and Sue Ann!

I'm working on "The Bear" for my mum. I'll emboider his/her (not sure which gender the teddy is going to turn into) belly after sewing and stuffing, I'll share my experience when I'm done.

Zsuzsi

Board footer