Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Nina_W Worthe It
Johannesburg
Website

So I drew up a pattern and made it into a bear, and I'm really pleased with the results. I wanted a fairly small bodied, large limber bear with a wide head. This is the biggest bear I've ever made, standing 40cm tall - 16''. This would be the tenth bear I've made, though half of that ten are miniatures only 8cm tall. He's only my second bear over 10'' - I really like the size, though!

I have some white, 2'' pile plush that I used, with velvet paw pads and inner ears.
His eyes are hand painted (a first for me), and has eyelids (another first). Then I figured, in for a penny... so he has eyelashes too! He is fully 5-way jointed. Stuffed with poly-fill, weighted with lead. His colours are painted on with purple illustrator's ink - lightfast and colourfast for 20 years (we don't know what happens past then, but that's good enough for me). Nose is embroidery floss sealed with clear acrylic gloss medium - it leaves the texture but makes it more durable.
I think he's probably most like a sloth, if you want to assign a species.

I'd welcome helpful critique. I've already altered the foot pattern to have less of a bulbous toe, that was a bit over done. I also am well aware my scissor sculpting needs work, but practice makes perfect bear_original  Especially regarding proportions, and overall shaping - his belly is very oval, only tapering slightly to the top, and I wonder about the size of the limbs. I wanted them large, but perhaps I went slightly too far?

Anyway, all comments are very welcome bear_original

...hi...

Enjoying the lovely morning

Standing

Pick me up?

Face detail

Board footer