Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Boz's Bears Tedwina & Friends
Shetland
Website

I've been experimenting with plush fur (as opposed to mohair) for the first time ahead of a christmas craft fair.  Last year I took the mohair bears with me and had a great time, but as it wasn't a collecting crowd I got the sense that some of my bears were just a bit too much money for the casual impulse buyer.  This year I figured that I could try making just a few bears out of cheaper plush fur to help the stall pay for itself and provide an entry point for folk who were interested but not serious enough to pay collector prices. I also figured the cheaper fabric would be a nice medium for testing out new patterns without the worry of wasting expensive mohair.

First plushy bear came off the sewing machine today - I stuffed his head and then set about sewing his nose.

ARGH!  How do you do it? I can't shave it right back to the backing because it's not nice enough - but the ruddy fur keeps pulling up into the nose thread no matter what I try! I've started, cut and re-sewn at least four noses on this guy now and it's driving me bonkers.
Is there a technique I'm missing? Should I be gelling the surrounding fur down? At this rate I'll still be sewing this flipping thing in a month's time and I wont have time to make anything else for the fair...

Going back to a nice distressed mohair now to soothe my frayed nerves.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Lauren.  Could you just trim the muzzle fur down some . . .  not all the way to the backing?  Then take off all fur in the area just beneath where the nose will go. That way the nose will be much easier to embroider.  Hope this photo of one of my bears helps.  https://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.ph … 99#p547399

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Maybe glue or sew on a small piece of felt where you want the nose? That will keep the pile from poking through.

Just re-read your and Sue Ann's posts. Could you use masking tape to keep the fur underneath the nose held down?

Becky

Board footer