Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Bramblewoodbears Bramblewood Bears
Brooklyn, Washington

Hi,
I am working on my second crochet bear ever!  My first turned out cute, but I'm not entirely happy with the ears.  They look kind of flat and thin.  In most of the other pics I see they tend to be more curved in and thick.  Does anyone want to share their bear ear pattern with me?  I would really appreciate your generosity and expertise!

Thanks,
Tomi

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hi Tomi, and welcome to TT!  bear_flower

I've only knitted bears, never tried one in crochet, but I think the principle is somewhat the same whether the ears are knitted, crocheted (sp?) or sewn, with one exception.

If you want a nice curve and a bit of dimension on any ear, it helps to make the ear piece longer than it is tall. This way you have enough ear to cup into a circle-segment or an oval-segment.

Since knitted/crocheted ears on tiny bears tend to be a single layer, you can also give the outer edge of the ear a bit more definition and bulk by adding a row of single crochet.

This is absolutely everything I know on the topic, but I hope it helps!

Eileen

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

What works for me is to chain 2, then put 5 sc in the first chain, chain 1, turn, sc across, turn, slip stitch across.  The slip stitches seem to add a 'cuff' onto the ear.

/bearhugs,

Bramblewoodbears Bramblewood Bears
Brooklyn, Washington

Thanks to both of you!  I will try these.  I am sure it will help!  Once I get my pics on the computer I will post some pics of my bear.

Tomi

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh What Mary said!  bear_laugh

Eileen

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

bear_rolleyes Hi Tomi,
I know I'm late reading this...but, I crochet "regular size" bears. My ear pattern may not help. I use two threads instead of one for the ears. I also...this would be tricky for one's so small...sew ultra-suede on the inside of it. I use fishing line for minnows...so you can't see it.
chain 2, 3 single crochet in second chain from hook, chain one, turn, 2 single crochet in each for a total of 6...for a mini I would stop there. It gives a curved appearance. Let me know if you want the rest of the pattern for "regular size" bears. Hope it helps! It took me forty bears to develope a good crochet ear! bear_grin

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Well..I can see that foe a while...nobody have come in here bear_sad  I LOVE crocheted bears ! I am have made a couple but, my problem is that I neve can read the patterns!! I just chrochet, and crochet till I get what I want ( weird...I know!!)...That is the reason I have only made two!!
Here are the two I made. A Polar bear and one that I call Rainbow"
I will love to see in here pictures, lots of pictures! 
Have a great day.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower
Here MVC-001F.jpgMVC-006F.jpg

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Gladys,
I agree, I would like to see more crochet bear pictures, too. Yours are very cute! I have visited your site and really admire your bears....they have a lot of personality!
I post my "large" crochet bears and creations in the showcase section because they are not the sweet little minis.
JeannieB bear_original

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Jeannie
Thank you for visiting my site. I am so bad at computers!!! I can not change anything in it and those bears are some of the first ones I made and my picture..? You don't want to see what 7 years have done to me bear_sad
I don't have any bear on the showcase section I don't know how to set the pictures up? I think is opening a topic? Yes...! Computes and me ?? Not good friends yet!
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Believe me , Gladys, I understand! My husband does the computer stuff when he has the time. I have to take a computer course this fall for my degree, maybe I can help after that!
Bear hugs,
JeannieB bear_original

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

My  site was my son's work. He is very good at computers but, he works all day with them, that means that, at home , is not fu for him, to work on them! Like you, I think I better learn to do it myself!! I always say that bear_shocked Probably...You will have to help me !! bear_grin
Have a great weekend.
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

MVC-002F.jpg Let me see if I can do it this time bear_noexpression  Here is a picture of a miniature bear I made, He is one of my "Senior Bears".
Bear hugs.
Glady

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Gladys,
  Your "senior bear" is adorable! Good picture, too! bear_wub
JeannieB bear_original

Board footer