Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I see a lot of crocheted bears on eBay and websites, but no knitted bears. :/

Anybody know why? Is there anyone out there who still knits critters besides me?

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Eileen....you have a knitted pattern?????

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've usually made my critters up as I went along--for the kids. It's just a matter of gauge, plus increasing and decreasing to shape.

I'd love to made a really nice knitted bear with traditional parts and joints. Some of the new imported eyelash yarns are amazingly beautiful. And I've got a small stash of mohair yarn. There's a Russian artist named Fadeeva who makes drop dead gorgeous knitted animals. She's into felting now, but have a look-see:

http://www.fadeeva.com/

I think her knitties are much nicer than crocheted specimens

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Eileen and DIlu!  I am the BIGGEST knitted animal fan.  I have been knitting since I was 7 years old.  I had to learn to knit toys because I really loved them and they are not something that can be purchased in a store.  I must now have over 200 hand knitted animals in my house. Around here we call them "knitties".

It all started when I was a child.  Since I am from England, but immigrated to the US at a very young age, my Grandparents would come once a year for a visit.  The biggest thrill for me was to see what kind of knittie Grandma had made for me.  She would do all the knitting but I had to stuff and sew the face on.  Knitted toys have such fond memories for me.

Eileen, I have one of Natasha Fadeeva's knitted bears.  He's really cute!

I have an entire room FULL of yarn...in every kind of style and color you can imagine.

I hope that knitting never becomes a lost art...I know I will never give it up...it is therapuetic.

I have designed a several bears.  Many have the joints.  They range in size from 5" to about 18". 
KNITTIE_SPRING_BLOSSOM.jpgThis is Spring Blossom.  She is my design and is about 4" tall and is jointed.KNITTIE_DAPHNE.jpg  This too is jointed and is about 15" tall
KNITTIE_LB.jpg  This bear is not jopinted but is also my design.  He is made from angora
Dilu, They are a sinch to design.  You just knit the peices as you would cut them from mohair.

Also, if you do not want to design your own bears there are books available with knitted bear patterns....I'll have to get back to you with the titles

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Judi, that is THE best news!! :D

Two Hundred? Wow.

I love your little critter. What kind of yarn is that? Or is the furry stuff felted?

I was wondering why nobody seemed to be making knitties. Even the eyelash yarn, when crocheted, seems to me bulky and rather naked. Crocheters complain that it's the spawn of Satan.

But when knitted, the purl side is wonderfully furry, and the knit side is smooth, probably because when purled, the yarn is in front of the needle. The knit side can be the 'wrong' side, or become muzzles and pawpads.  Mohair can be brushed for a wonderful effect. It's like creating your own fur.

I so agree that knitting is therapeutic. During the 2000 election, and again during the Sept 11 coverage, I stayed glued to CNN and my knitting. I have no idea what I thought I was making. It's more or less a dusty pink 'scarf' about 16 feet long. I'll pick it up again next crisis.

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

EILEEN!  LOL!  I too sat glued to CNN on Sept 11 knitting....and that project is still not finished. 

The little bear is the eyelash yarn called Flash.  It is much finer than the eyelash yarns at craft stores.  This yarn can be purchased at fine yarn shops or even on ebay.  It is so silky to the touch.

I agree with brushing knitted mohair.  There is also a yarn from Peru called peruvian Angora.  It is to die for. sooo thick.  When you knit a bear from it, it is like a real fur bear.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Judi your knitties are adorable....absolutely adorable.....yes, knitting is very therapeutic..I had to teach myself as I am left handed, and mom and grandmom were all right handed....but it works.

The only thing I haven't been able to learn, uh, besides calculus, is tatting.  I love the looks, but come up all knots.

Eileen can you post some of your knitties? I would love to see them

Judi you are right....I'M INTRIGUED and will have to order some eyelash yarn and try it.

I had a friend who raised her own sheep sheared them and spun her own yarn,  I inherited her spinning wheel and all her rovings and left over yarn....It is very very soft too....I guess I will poke through it and see if anything will work.

Neat ideas ladies...thank you

Judi....do you sell your knitties?  Inquiring minds....and all that.....

Dilu

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm sure I have a knitted pattern for a bear made with eyelash type yarn.I just did a quick search and of course I can't put my finger on it but I'm sure it will be the first thing I find when I'm not looking.I found a paw pad template that I was missing though so all is not lost :D
  I really love your knitted bears Judi !!The pink one is adorable and I just want to hug the fuzzy one bear_original How long does it take you to knit one?
  Hugs and bear blessings,Shari.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Shari, It takes about five time longer to knit a bear than to make one from mohair...but I just love knitted toys.  I have sold some on ebay but they do not bring in the same dollars as mohair or fur bears:/.

Dilu, Eileen, Shari...or anyone else, if you want some knitting patterns for bears or any other animals let me know and I would be happy to share.  The above pictures are my own designs but I have an entire bookshelf of nothing but  knitted toy patterns that I have collected over the years.  I am still always on the hunt, especailly for the old English patterns because they are simply the best.  I even have patterns as far back as the 30's.

In England, way back when, toys were not easily accessable, sooooo people used to knit them from oddments of yarn,  The  English have always been very big on knitting.  I have knitted  hundreds of animals ...but NEVER anything useful like a sweater!!!!

I do enjoy designing my own animals but I also LOVE to recreate the old toys from the old English patterns.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, Judi . . . you are SO VERY TALENTED!!!  What great little bears!!  I don't knit, so I'm waaaaayyy impressed!! bear_laugh

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Gosh Judi...your talents know no bounds..I am floored by your knitted creations...and the fact that they are your own designs. You are such an inspiration!:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I'd love to see some Olde Englishe patterns Judi! And yours when you find it, Shari!  bear_laugh For some reason I didn't see your second and third pictures first time through, Judi--they're beautiful. Wow.

I'm working on a little knittie now-- too many interruptions lately, so he's not yet ready for prime time, but I'll post a picture when he is (and when I get a camera that works). I even made my own very thin knitting needles by sanding down bamboo sticks and waxing them.

In order to keep matching pattern pieces/sides even in case of memory failure, I've started drafting patterns on graph paper. There are ususally more rows to the inch than stitches, so you ususally need something like a 2/3 proportion. You can download any size/proportion of grid here:

http://www.incompetech.com/beta/plainGr … etric.html

I used to keep knitting notes, but couldn't read them later! Often couldn't find them. And my attempts at sweaters were disasters.

Peruvian Angora. I'm on it . . .

Eileen

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

What beautiful bears!

This makes me wish that I could knit.  I taught myself to crochet when I was pregnant with my daughter and ordered off my feet for 5 months, but I never could quite get the knitting.  Maybe I will have to have another go at it.

I would love to see something from this Peruvian Angora.

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Hi -

I am on my work computer and cannot view the pictures of Judi's knitties but I love to knit and would love to try to knit a bear or bunny.  Living in South Florida, there are not many things to knit - mittens, scarves and sweaters are out.  I see all the new yarns and I would love to try something with them.

Jill

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Millie - I, like you, cannot knit but can crochet... but with crocheting, I have tension problems bear_grin they start off fine but about 20 rows in or so, it starts getting skinnier!  Judi, your knitties are wonderful, much like all of your other work - I hope some day i can be as good as you are, or remotely come close!!! bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks ladies.

Eileen, I did not know you could use graph paper but that sounds really neat!  I write everything down as I go ....but you and I sound very much alike in that I often lose my notes or I can't read my own writing:oLOL:lol:  too funny!!!!

OH oh oh...the Peruvian Angora is amazing stuff!  I have two bears here with me that I am hogging to myself (I cando that, right?).  One is a little jointed pink bear and she is in my lap right now.  I pet her like she is real.  The other one I have is a much larger white bear, also jointed. 

The only down side to this yarn is it is very very expensive.  $16 a ball and it does not go very far.  I think I spent over $100 making the white bear.  I'll post pics later and I promise not to make themtoo big...don't wamt to be a photo hog here:P

I would love to see your knittie Eileen and anyone elses for that matter.

Jill, can't see you guys wearing many sweaters down there:o either

knitties_PINK_BEAR2.jpg  Okay, here's the Peruvian Angora fur yarn.  It is as soft as it looks.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Judi,can I ask you a question please... I have 13(maybe 14) 10z balls of patons Molana,(it's 69%mohair and 31%pure virgin wool)in a soft beige that was my great Aunts at one time.It may even be very old.It claims to be mothproofed and designed for big size knitting needles.My aunt passed away from complications of breast cancer(a family illness,My Mom's a survivor) and I would love to knit a bear.What size bear would 13 or 14 balls make?I would love to have a jointed bear or one similar to the white one.I saw an adorable knitted bear that you put on ebay a while back.My aunt was a bear maker at one time and did bears for Eatons.I'm sure she would be tickled if I made her yarn into one.Can you advise or comment.Thanks so much for your time.Hugs and blessings,Shari.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Sorry,I mean 1 oz balls.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shari,
So sad to hear of your loss but so happy to hear you want to honor her with a knitted bear. That's really sweet of you.

You would be able to make a nice 12 to 16" bear with the yarn you are describing.  I have several knitted bear patterns  and I would be happy to share.  Email your address and I'll send them to you .  Oh, and let me know if you prefer garter stitch or stocking stictch.

huggies! judi

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Judi,thank-you so much bear_happy bear_happy I am so thrilled.I just sent you my address.i know it will take me forever to get my bear done but I feel so happy knowing I have a purpose for her yarn now.I'm sure she's smiling and laughing at me thinking "sure Shari's going to get a bear knitted with my yarn soon,huh!" Oh well at least I can try bear_happy Thanks Judi.Your the best!

Big bear blessings,Shari.

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Hi Judi -

I am now checking the posts from my home computer and can see the pictures of your knitties - WOW - they are the cutest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would love to do one of those.

Jill

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I just love those fuzziest bears. ! ...I tried to crochet one but didn't like it so well, I like the knitted ones much better... I  think its gotta partly be the yarn  is what makes them so appealing. My yarn was an acrylic imitation of Mohair.
Judi, your bears are so adorable, they would probably  be adorable made out of anything. ....Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Judi, your bears just get better and better! :D

I googled Peruvian Angora and got Guinea Pigs. Are we talking Guinea Pigs here?

Actually, it might be cheaper in the long run to raise and shear your own. Besides, I love the boinky sound they make whenever you open the refrigerator :lol:

Eileen

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shari...you know how you were saying that each time you have sold your angel bear in you avatar that the deal had fallen thru and you wondered if you should keep her? Well..I think it's meant to be....and if breast cancer is in your family, you have an excuse to keep her.....we all need a guardian angel right? She is SUCH a beautiful bear...keep her! And when you have your knitted bear done...she can sit by the guardian angel bear and remind you of your grandma!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi Hayley.Thanks,my husband thinks the same thing.I do love her and she looks so nice in my bedroom that I'm redoing bear_original I was telling Judi that since the yarn belonged to my Mom's favorite aunt and they fought breast cancer at the same time that I will give the bear to my Mom as a gift and name her after my aunt that we both loved.That's if the bears a girl,I seem to end up with more boys;) maybe I can make the knitted bear an angel too and then Mom and I will both have a guardian angel.I think my Mom already does though because she has fought and survived twice so far.
thanks so much for the "chat" Hayley,I love the look of your avatar bear,it makes me smile!!
Blessings,Shari.

Board footer