Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

A couple of weeks ago, you asked me if I had any pics of me when I was in the ballet.... Well, I asked my Mom, and she pulled out several... the one's when I first joined the company show me as "third snowflake from the left" or "Juliette's friend" ... I was a real youngin' and certainly not doing any staring roles!!!!!  She also reminded me that when I left the company and was released from my contract, that I signed an agrement that I wouldn't use any copyrighted pictures of myself or any other company productions ...  bear_sad   So this is the best I can do.... It was taken at a community outreach performace at an inner city school by a student photographer..... As evidenced by the fact that she cut off my right arm in the picture!!!!!  Anyway.... here it is.....

137666207.jpg

I'm 15 in the picture in all my tutu wearing glory!

Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ah, lovely!  My legs have NEVER looked like that!  I see that you are wearing the traditional "pancake" tutu (I did my research when I made my ballet bear.)  That's my favorite kind.

You look pretty stinking accomplished, as a ballerine, to my amateur eyes, Kim.

Just lovely!

Thanks for posting.  bear_flower

Hudson, Ohio

Thanks Shelli... you know what I just find so utterly insane at this point, some 15+ years later... To my eye now, I look like a tiny little wisp of a thing.... If I saw "that girl" walking down the street today... I'd just desperately want to

feed

her something!!!!  At the time, I had such a twisted and horrible body image... I thought I was HUGE! And if you can belive it... my legs were considered a bit too muscular... as was my backside... which I translated in my mind to mean that those parts were too "big."  It's amazing what can happen to your mind when you spend 4-6 hours a day in front of a mirror with people criticizing and grading your body like a piece of meat.  That being said... there are still things about the ballet that I miss, and long for as if I have a hole in my heart! 

Yes.. pancake tutu!!!!!  You've become the tutu expert!   bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild tHyme Originals

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You are gorgeous, Kim!  Both of my girls took 10 years of dance, but it was a studio that offered tap, jazz, and ballet.  They took all of them, so never excelled in any of the forms.  Both are graceful and agile, so I suppose it was worth it.  You look stunning!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Beautiful photo Kim.  You look so elegant and graceful.  Do you still dance?

I have one daughter in dance right now.  My oldest took four years.  As you know , Mark and I still dance ...Ballroom.  There is a feeling of magic when we dance...must be the release of endorpines.

Thanks for sharing you photo :clap:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kim, you look absolutely lovely, but you're right - it's unrealistic to have to be "that" perfect a body image as such a young age (or any age!).  Our daughter took ballet for 10 years and loved it - she was really good, but not the body type, so chucked it for gymnastics, which she also took.  Now she has all kids of hip problems - do you have any problems with joints?

Hugs,

Brenda

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

WoWeeee Kim baby - what a doll !!!!  :dance:

It must have been a wonderful time for you but don't worry that you won't ever look like that again (your words not mine, i think you still look gorgeous).
But what i wanna know is.............can you still get your leg up high enough to get it on the barre??????

Beautiful pic Kim, thanks for sharing it with us.

Penny  bear_wub

Hudson, Ohio
Judi wrote:

Do you still dance?

There is a feeling of magic when we dance...must be the release of endorpines.

I am actually considering taking an adult ballet class this Spring!  I do really really miss it... It was my entire life for SO long! 
Totally agree with you about the endorphine thing Judi! 

Brenda... I do have tendonitis in both my achilies tendons, and arthritus... and I can't even point both my feet forward... they just naturally go East & West!!!!  i can forget ever learning how to ski!  bear_smile

Penny.... yeah... I could still get my leg up on the barre if I wanted to!  I've been dancing privately all over my house for YEARS!!!! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap: Kim you look simply stunning in that photo!!!  I wish I could look that graceful ~ ha!  falls over laughing at the thought... Seriously, I think you should get back into the ballet, I think your heart yearns for it..  bear_wub

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Kim, such a beautiful photo, I don't think you've changed a bit, you are a very beautiful lady!!!   bear_wub  bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

As I drag my aged bones back from T'ai Chi for Seniors.. what's the first image I see but you, Kim!!!

I picked up on the word 'copyright' and opened this thread, figuring you'd located a free, non-protected pattern! 

W O W....

You go, girl, and you'll never need the gentle but intense stretching in T'ai Chi....

Hudson, Ohio

Bobbie... I would LOVE to take T'ai chi!!!!!!  It is so beautifully graceful.  And so much of it is about devoping inner peace and inner strength, isn't it?  I KNEW that was what you were doing in that fabulous photo you had posted as your user photo before... oh, Bobbie... you MUST post it here agin so people can see it! 

We have a class here in Hudson that practces in the park when the weather permits.... my kids play there on the equipment, and I usually make bears and keep quiet watch out of the corner of my eye.... but when the T'ai Chi class is there... I don't get a single bear part sewn... it's simply hypnotic to watch... all of a sudden 1/2 an hour has gone by and it seems like 2 minutes!   Fascinating stuff!  Have you been doing it long?

Kim Basta
Wild tHyme Originals

Celena Oxford

Awwwww......Kim, BEAUTIFUL pic, such elegant and grace...thanks for sharing.

AND you STILL look beautiful and elegant now...  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Lovely Kim, your posture, the way you are holding the one arm we can see...A lot of dancers concentrate so hard on the legs they forget the arms. 

But yes, I remember some of the dancers, when I played piano for them, would complain they were way too fat, too big, too whatever.....And there I was as big as a horse with my first.....I quit when I couldn't get my hands back and forth on the keyboard fast enough because of this huge thing in front, which turned out to be my oldest.

I am glad you did it but also glad you are here now doing your magical mini bears.  There's art and art.  And the art you do now can be done forever.....

And we are all very happy about that!

hugs

dilu

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Oh Kim

Even in a "students"photo you look absolutely beautiful - no wonder you were dancing professionally so young.

Thanks for sharing.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Kim you look beautiful !!!!!!!!

Hugs Jane  bear_flower

beary_clairey Luton

What a beautiful photograph, totally the prima ballerina!! Just stunning !!!

Hugs

Claire

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Wow, wonderful picture Kim! I'm full of admiration. The most athletic thing I ever do is frog-march my daughter to school before the doors close..... I did go to the ballet quite recently though and was reminded how much strength it takes to look so graceful. I hope you do take that adult ballet class and enjoy your talents!!!

:hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Very neat, Kim! I always wanted to be in ballet!  Maybe that is a dream I will have to live out through my kids when I have them!!!

Board footer