Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I "harden" my floss noses with a 50/50 mixture of white glue (a.k.a. Elmer's, PVA, or school glue) and water.  This adds just enough finish to the nose that I believe my POTBELLY BEARS noses capable of passing the "cat" test.  That is, if my cat tries to pick at the nose with teeth or claw, it won't pull out! :P

How do you harden, wax, or otherwise "finish" off YOUR bear noses?

For those who make polymer clay, felted, or leather noses... share your tips & techniques, too!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Shelli!

Well, thanks to you I use the same hardening technique bear_original  But another tip I learned that has greatly helped my noses is to leave the neck opening open while I'm stitching the nose.  That way I can keep re-shaping the muzzle as it gets moved around while I stitch.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For my waxed noses, I embroider over a felt template, then paint over that with melted beeswax.  You can add however many layers you wish . . . after each layer hardens . . . then shine with a piece of plain white paper.  If you want to add color, use permanent ink markers or fabric pens.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sue Ann. When do you add color...before the wax or after ?....Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

After.  Sometimes as you build up the layers, the wax produces a whitish "color".  To get rid of that, you can use the markers . . . although shining with the paper after adding color may take a little of it off.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I needle felt my noses.

I felt the nose into the shape I want it, conentrating on the front of the nose, leaving the back and edges a bit loose.
Once I've got the nose how I want it I felt it onto the muzzle.
Trim away mohair where the nose will go first.
Be sure you've used polyester stuffing or cotton or wool - NOT EXCELSIOR!!!
Put the nose in place and begin by felting around the edge/perimeter of the nose, securing it in place and keep checking the placement as you go. Once it's on there its pretty much on there!!!
Once the sides are secure I felt the middle on, if there are nostrils I can poke thru so as not to change the shape of my nose otherwise. Just be sure you've go it felted on there very securely. Heaven forbid his nose falls of later in life!!! Can you imagine not SMELLING honey or chocolate!!!???

Felted noses leave endless possibilities for shape, color, shading and can be tweeked once felted onto the muzzle.

Once I've attached the nose I embroider the mouth as usual.

Daphne

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sometimes the obvious is staring us in the face Daph!  never thought to felt noses on! Could be THE answer for those who just CAN'tT do stitched noses.
Sue Ann, Your noses start getting milky after a few layers? Are you using matching colored wax?
I have a friend who does so many layers of wax, that they look like they have been varnished. After commenting at the last show on how great they look....she said no less that 5 people so far had asked her about them whilst picking at the nose with their fingernail! She had to rebuff the nose after each person....gosh, some people are so rude! No-one wants to out "Do not touch" signs near their bears..it looks angry....but I suggested to her she may need to put a little "Please do not pick my nose" signs around their necks!:lol:

mj Pinney Bears
North Carolina
Website

mj Banner Sponsor

Daphne - When you needle felt your noses do you not use excelsior because the needles will break? I have some and they are very thin.

Shelli – I love the “cat test”

MJ

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Ha!!  Hayley, love that sign "Please don't pick my nose"!!!  I don't know what it is about finding out the noses are waxed, but I had the same thing happen at a show . . . I told a lady that they were waxed and she must not have believed me . . . she proceeded to run her fingernail across the nose to see if I were telling the truth!  AAAAAARRRGGHHH!!!  I just use the uncolored beeswax.  I like it that way 'cause I can put color on the nose that matches or blends with the color of the bear.  Sometimes I mix 2 or 3 colors!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Some people!!!!!!!!!  :rolleyes:

I hope you stopped her before the nail reached the nose in time Sue Ann!! Geeeee!! That would have given me a heart attack I think!  LOL

Danni

Board footer