Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I like making teddies with armatures but am in the baby stages of learning how to fully utilize their functionality.

I create my own armatures using plastic-coated copper wire, strong pliers, and something called a "ring terminal."  (see photo.)

RT5.5-6_FULLSIZE.5-6_1_.jpg

The steps are remarkably easy:

1)  Cut the wire to size for arm or leg
2)  Insert one end into the hole in the ring terminal
3)  Crimp the ring terminal closed
4)  Push your joint bolt thru the hole in the ring terminal, so that the ring terminal is touching your washer.
5)  Complete jointing as usual

Kristine Holmberg of Raspbearies first taught me this method and it works like a charm and is IMMEDIATELY available.  THANKS KRISTINE!

I know there are flexlimbs (coated with a spongy material) and LocLine available for armature use as well.  Anyone use those?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes, Shelli ,as always there is more than one way to skin a cat.  I use the Loc-Line armature which I am verey pleased with .  WHat I like most is the fexlibily range and the fact that they will never break like wire can.

They are very easy to use:

Meausre the length you want.
Bend the armature back and fourth on itself to break the length you want.
Wrap the armature in strips of batting (you can buy sheets of this in any craft store, then cut into strips)
Burn a hole through one end with a nail heated up in a candle.
Insert a large cotter pin, washer, then hardbaord disc and insert into the shoudler joint and contiue as you would with a cotter pin joint.

Wehn it comes tim eto stuff, I use a flat long screw driver and carefully stuff evenly around the armature.  I love the flexibility of these skeletal structures.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I'd love to learn more about LocLine as I've seen it in action at the Nevada City show (Lori Leeper, who makes real fur and mohair bears, uses it a lot) and it does provide a wonderful range of motion.

Anyone know where to find an illustrated tutorial on creating LocLine joints?  It's pretty easy to visualize snapping off the correct linear length of armature.  What I have a harder time visualizing is how to attach/joint it to my bear!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Here, a photo tutorial on creating your own armature using ring terminals and wire.

Kristine Holmberg (Raspbearies) provided the instructions and Laura Lynn, the webpage and hosting.

Thanks ladies!

http://teddiesbylauralynn.com/bearmaking/armatures.html

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

The way I describe, SHelli, is included in the starter kit for Loc-Line at Edinburgh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I use the plastic coated wire for armatures...I had a problem at times when it popped off the ring terminal and someone told me there are two different kinds of ring terminals...???? Mine are blue I got at Lowes.

Then, later I heard that after connecting it then it can be soldered so it will not have a chance of coming off. ??? I sure am getting more ??? 'sss  than solutions, he, he....Winney

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yeahhh ! Lisa, let us know how your armatures come out and if you have any problems and...if you found any new good tips to share with us....Winney

Board footer