Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

For those of you who make bears from Vintage Fur coats, I have a question. When the coat has initials in the lining, do you put the initials on the bear somewhere? do you make the lining into a ribbon? People ask me to include the initials somewhere on the bear and sometimes it gets very difficult because they are too  big. The last couple of bears I have made, I take the lining and make it  into a ribbon around the neck and include the initials there. It is a pain in the butt!!!!!! Hope someone else has a suggestion..............
pandamac

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

If its a truly enormous initialling, perhaps you could turn the lining into a 'satin' type pillow that the bear could hold with the intials or name on the pillow? 

The bears that I've done from coats, I've only used the satin lining on the pawpads, and I've never had anyone truly insist on the initialling (oddly enough).  In fact when I show them samples of ultrasuede, most opt for ultrasuede over the satin lining for the pawpads as well.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Ellen, when I did orders I often put the initials on the footpad.  Sometimes all would fit and other times only 1 or 2 initials on a diagonal.  I've also added  them on a satin ribbon that I put around the bear as a bow.  I never made bows from the lining as I too thought it was more hassle than it was worth.   As with Debbie, most people prefered ultrasuede paws over the coat lining.

I like the idea of a pillow a vest, or little blanket  from the lining ???

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Hi Ellen:
I usually make a bow from the coat's lining and tack the inistials on it.  I also use the coat's lining for the pawpads and I find it a lot easier to iron muslin pawpad pieces to the lining with Heat&Bond before I cut them out.  Most client's want the lining used and definately the initials attached.  I have emboirdered lettering - name and dates - on the pawpads but I will charge extra for this.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Merle-Mink-Bear-Feet.jpgI made my sister a bear from our mom's mink cape.  Rather than initials, my mom's full name was embroidered on the lining, so I used her first name on one footpad and her last name on the other.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

bear4small.jpgbear2small.jpgThank you all for your input. Here (hopefully) are pictures of the bears I made with the lining as the ribbon with the initials on it.

Board footer