Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

When I find time to make bears, I don't like to have to stop and wait to finish working.
For example, I hate to make a bear and at the last minute decide it needs to have different eyes, and not have any on hand or ready to go. So I try to have several extra of my favorite eyes prepped and painted or at least have many different sizes and types  purchased so they are ready for me.

Also, I use cotterpins to joint my bears, but I hate dealing with inserting the disk, washer and then the pin into a tiny space, so I glue the washer onto my disks beforehand... I have enough disks ready to go for 3-5 bears at one time..

What do you do to streamline your bearmaking process?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kirsten, I can't figure out HOW to streamline my bearmaking process!  I've tried the "factory" method but find the repetition boring, and the lack of finished product, uninspiring.

Maybe I've glommed on to one of the most frustrating things about creating; that sometimes, where one is in his/her head is a major part of how the work progresses.

I find that it's most satisfying for me to work on one or two bears at a time, but no more than that.  I like to do the heads first and then breathe a big sigh of relief and move on to the bodies.  It's not particularly efficient -- it would be more efficient, for example, to sew and stuff and joint EVERYTHING, huge numbers of bears at a time, and then do the finishing work later.  But I have found that, for me, I just really dislike the endless sewing, stuffing, closing... sewing, stuffing, closing... and saving the "good parts" -- the facial work, the finishing touches -- for sometime "later on."

If I was able to be happy doing it the factory way I'd have a lot more cash on hand, that's for sure!  But this way, I think I can focus on each bear individually, making each one unique and special.

Anyone have any other ideas???

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh ,I should add that I DO manage to keep supplies on hand by regularly inventorying what I need and then re-ordering when appropriate.  And I DO paint pairs of eyes well in advance of ever using them in my bears.  That way I don't have to wait for the drying process and can 'try on' which pairs look best on each type and size of bear.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Kirsten, I like to work on two or more projects at one time.  That way, when I don't feel like something as intricate as the face...I can just simply work on an arm.  My little friends are all pretty small, so much of my work is done by hand.
I keep a steady supply of all sizes of eyes , even if it is not a size I normally use, just in case I MIGHT someday and I don't want to spend the hefty shipping charges to order some eyes.
I do however, like to spend a day doing nothing but dyeing and then another day doing nothing but cutting out.  I find this works wonders for me because it it the work that I really don't enjoy.  Then each cut out bear or bunny goes into a zip lock bag and I can work on as many as I want...always putting the newly sewn part back in the bag.
This also keeps my "Bootsie Boy" ( our very loved cat) out of my parts.  Whenever I hear him tearing around the house , I know he has 'stolen' a part.
That is as streamlined as I get...cutting and dyeing on certain days. :D
Nanc.....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

sometimes, where one is in his/her head is a major part of how the work progresses.

I couldn't agree with Shelli more!

But there are times when, because my life is so chaotic, I MAKE myself sit and get a LOT of work done on one bear - even finish it, just so that something in my life is complete!!! Whew!!!

I'm experimenting with 'streamlining' myself at the moment. I used to do one bear at a time, start to finish, while day dreaming about the next bear already!!! Now I have two going at once - I try to be sure they are very different from each other - one big, one small - one in kid mohair, another in sparse matted. That helps keep the boredom at bay. And I get bored SO easily!!! Doing this keeps me interested and I'm always in the mood to work on one or the other. When I just had one bear going and was at a stage in the process I wasn't in the mood for I'd find something else to do, waiting for the mood to hit.... sometimes that would be days later. NOT GOOD!!!

I'm getting more done by having more going - does that make any sense!?!?! Sounds silly!

I have way too much stock of almost everything!!! So that's usually not a problem and my dear friend and bear making mentor lives 20 minutes away so if I don't have something it's a quick call and we're meeting for tea to swap supplies!!! She's got 20+ years of bear making goodies stock-piled!!!

OK, I've rambled - very similar to how I work..... very little streamlining here!!! Is there room for streamlining in art???????????

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Kirsten & everyone,
I really  need to learn HOW to streamline my bear making
process! !  bear_shocked

Shelli wrote:

I just really dislike the endless sewing, stuffing, closing... sewing, stuffing, closing... and saving the "good parts" -- the facial work, the finishing touches -- for sometime "later on."

Oh no, that is what I'm doing now and I hate it !!! :(:(
I started making 7bears from middle of MAY and
I've completed only 2 !!! This is JULY already and I'm
still stuffing stuffing. I usually make only 1 to 2bears
in a MONTH so I knew this will be challenge to me..
I will make only 1 or 2 at once and don't try to meake
more beas at onece ;)

For the supply, I shop from Intercal every 2-3month
for Mohair and felt,eye.  I buy other stuff  from local craft shop.  I like to keep enough supply to complete 2-3bears

Thanks,
Marie

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have my own "work station" on the coffee table and next to the couch, it kinda drives my husband nuts!!! I usually have one started and then I stop before the "fun" stuff (attaching ears, eyes, shaping the face, decorating) and cut another one out and put it in a ziplock - my motivation is to do the fun stuff after I cut out another one, sort of an incentive!  I wish sooo much that I had a teddy bear supply store in my area, I havent found a single place that has mohair (is this not directly available in the US???), glass eyes, etc. that I can simply go and pick them up - I like to be able to go and pay for something and get it right away, I am sooo impatient!!!!

I tried to find supplies at Michael's, ACMoore and JoAnne Fabrics but they dont really have "teddy bear making" items.... I have had to order EVERYTHING online, besides my polyfil, pvc pellets, colored pencils and decorations for my bears...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim - Bear Making supply shops are few and far between. It's such a specialized business, there aren't enough bear artists in one location to support such a shop, usually. I've considered opening one but would have to move else where to find the folks to support it!! I've always wanted to live in PA..... hmmmm.....:D

If there is a bear show near you, you might want to go to it as often Edinburgh or Intercal Reps are there with supplies.

They are who I get all of my supplies from - I've found nothing in the chain stores for making bears. Unless you are in need of child safe materials - plastic joints and eyes.:rolleyes:

Sorry!
Daphne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, you can come open a store in PA and I will work there with you and I can get an employee discount!!!!:lol:

Board footer