Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Everyone,

It's Anzac Day in Australia, a very special day when we pay homage to all those brave men & women who have fought and died in many world wars!  without the sacrifices made by them we would not have the freedom we enjoy today!!

My Dad fought in the jungles of New Guinea in WW2, he was 19 years old and a forward scout..
My husband served in the Australian Navy for 20 years and fought in Vietnam during the late 60' & early 70's, only 19 years old at the time, sadly he is now passed on..but I will never forget..
both courageous men.. I salute them both and all our brave soldiers.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest We Forget!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Have a very special day Denise.

Do you eat those yummy Anzac biscuits on Anzac day?

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

God bless all the Anzacs! bear_flower

I've eaten some anzac biscuits today, Jane!  bear_tongue

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thank you Denise for posting ....... We shall remember them .. Ditto Sam, God Bless them all

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Blessings on their courage and sacrifice--we need to remember! :hug:

What are Anzac biscuits? Maybe the US and Canada need Memorial Day or Remembrance Day goodies too!

Here in Canada we wear red poppies, a reference to the poem In Flanders Fields  , written by a WWI Canadian Forces doctor. They're sold by veterans to raise a bit of money, but mostly to keep the public aware of what was sacrificed. Many of the schools invite veterans to speak to the kiddies, who are always fascinated.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Eileen

Densteds Densteds
Website

Thank you all for remembering!!

Eileen...thank you for posting that beautiful poem.....we also wear poppies on Rememberance day ( 11th November )commemorating the end of the war but on Anzac day we wear a sprig of rosemary which is the herb of rememberance...

Here's the recipe for Anzac Biscuits...

Traditional biscuits

'Wet ingredients' - 1
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup

'Wet ingredients' - 2
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Dry ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar

Method:

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a saucepan gently melt the butter then add the golden syrup and heat, stirring until thoroughly combined. Put the baking soda in a cup or small bowl then pour in the boiling tablespoon of water.

Pour this foaming mixture into the warm butter/golden syrup mixture (thick golden sugar syrup something like molasses but golden like honey)and stir to incorporate - it will foam up. Now gradually add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring well to incorporate.

Place walnut size pieces of the dough on a buttered oven tray and then press down with the back of a fork to flatten.

Bake at 175 degrees Celsius (approx 375 degrees farenheit) for approx 17 mins.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  :dance:  :hug: Thanks, Denise! I'm going to make some Anzac cookies today! They look yummy--chewy too, I'm guessing.   :hug:  :dance:  bear_laugh

Eileen

Densteds Densteds
Website

You guessed right Eileen...nice n'chewy!! but don't over cook them or they go too crisp and loose the chewiness....enjoy!!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I guess Anzac Day is something similar to our Memorial Day?  We will celebrate that in May.  Yes, we should remember those who have participated in all wars - especially those who have given their lives.  Thank you.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I usually go participate in Anzac services when I was a child/teenager - I was a member of the St John Ambulance cadets - kind of like guides/scouts but with a medical focus. We would march with the veterans and lay a wreath at the memorial and go to the memorial service.

.  Actually, I haven't been to one since i moved to Wellington - our national war memorial centotaph is here and a year or two ago they brought back an unknown soldiers remains from Gallipoli (I think) and buried him at the war memorial.  The procession wended it's way through the city and it was incredibly emotional.  One day I will go to the dawn service there.

Anzac biscuits originate from the "soldier's biscuits" that were sent to soldiers in Europe during world war one and were made by both Aussie and New Zealand mums.  Because they had no eggs in them, and were made of rolled oats they kept well for the soldiers.

My mum's family owned a farm and during world war two would send ration packs to my grandfather's family and family friend's in the UK.  My grandma would send all sorts of things and in return they would send books and games out to my mum and her brothers for christmas.

hargallipoli Posts: 1

Anzac - Gallipoli It was an excellent tour to Anzac especially House of Gallipoli. Troy was really amazing. Our guide was also very knowledgeable and he asked us to determine our preference before he started to tour. Also I would like to say that i made the reservation by e-mail a couple of days before the date of tour and it worked http://www.toursingallipoli.com very happy with the tours we joined. We saw many interesting places. Thank you very much for your effort and great service.

Board footer