Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Hello Everyone,

A few years back I went through a pink mohair fettish ( I am cured now) and have quite a bit of baby pink, medium pink, rose and magenta colored mohair laying around.  It is really good quality mohair and I would like to do some dying to get it more towards the brownish tones.  I am not good with a color wheel and was wondering if any of you have ideas on which colors to use? Is there a way to get color out completely?

Thanks for help!

Kim Thomas

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I would say that it can be quite easy : just choose a brown you like in the Rit dyes and go on. You'll end with a lovely brown, no problem, I'm pretty sure it will cover all those pink bear_original.
(I've even managed to get red -ok quite rusty but still red ;)- from quite dark brown mohair using Rit scarlet red !)
Lots of hugs,
have fun with your dyings !
Marion bear_original

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Kim,

I died lt.pink mohair before with a TEA  and
it came out beautifully but not too brownish, it was sort
of antique beige color with 0% pink left.

There is more info in these post ↓
Good luck !!  bear_flower
http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?se … 1316373816

Hugs/Marie

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I am going through a pink "phase" as well right now... not so much in my bears (although I have had a couple pink bears and I collect pink ones LOL) but I wear pink  A LOT... when I do my laundry, 1/3 of it is PINK!!!!! I have mohairs that are brown, they dont do anything for me... sure I will make a brown bear but when I go into my supply closet, I love the lilacs and pinks and things with COLOR... which leads me to my next though, I need to buy some pink mohair! I think you can dye anything with darker colors... the lighter pinks, you can easily cover..... and like Marie said, tea would probably work too!  (I have never tried tea and am just starting my dying adventure!)

Good luck!!!!!!!

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Thanks everyone!  That is just the encouragement I needed to take the plunge and give it a try.

Kim - I wear pink all the time too and also collect pink bears/bunnies.  I think I am influenced a lot by my toddler daughter who is obsessed with pink as well! Of course, lately, she's been into green as well,so I can see that mohair trend coming ...

Kim T

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I just dyed some raspberry colored mohair.  I know this sounds kind of funky, but I dyed the pieces for the arms, legs and ears with a brown and red mix of Rit dye.  I am making a panda that will be dark brown and raspberry (sounds crazy).  You can use a dye of coffee or tea if you just want a lighter tone.  I say just get your dye and mohair together and have fun.

nettie scotland
Website

If you steep it in water and turmeric first then dye it over with brown it will be less reddish brown.You can also use a yellow dye  dry it then dye it brown for a deep colour.I like to dye things three or four colours separately for richer tones.
Diane xxx

Board footer