Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

Please keep some kind thoughts for two miners in Tasmania, trapped approx. 1km underground. They are alive...and in a small cage. Rescue workers have been working for 12 long days/nights . drilling through  16mt. of rock , fearful that if they blast it will cause another rock fall. With only 3m to go they have to drill by hand but have just said they have struck rock, 3 times harder than cement/concrete. Reluctantly they now say they will have to use explosives.
If you have a God , now is the time to talk to him...for them.
Susan

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh I am so dissappointed for the families.  This am 3 am, they were telling us they expected your miners out today.  Yes we here in the forest will remember these men and their families tonight. 

Keep us posted, as sometimes American news can be schizophrenic.....going on about something that is sensational, and forgetting some of the important stories.

:hug:

dilu

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

This is an amazing story.  I had thought the worste before they were found alive, what an amazing feeling it was when they were found alive.  I couldn't have imagined it would have taken this long to get them out.

Let's hope they get them out today.  Fingers crossed!

So, it's making news around the world then?
Danni

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I have been listening to the news every time it comes on and hoping that they will be free - how dreadful for them and their families.

I heard one of them say - that they want a certain fast food, at the drive through on the way to the hospital in the ambulance.
I admire their courage and sense of humor that they  have managed to keep up.

I really hope that they can be reunited with their loved ones soon.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Well, now they are saying they highly doubt that they will be free today - more likely tomorrow.  Let's just hope that that happens, and it's not even further down the track.

The best line I think the miners have come up with is that where they are staying is two stars - the stars being the both of them!!!!!!!   :crackup:

Danni

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Susan! Thank you for reminding us waht a sad situation some families are facing. It is always very humbling to me and makes me ashamed of myself when I feel down about my life. How I thank you for reminding me to smarten up. Our prayers are with the families!

Many Hugs Louise

nettie scotland
Website

What a horrible thought being trapped underground.I have everything crossed for them.The time must be going by so slowly for them and their poor families.I must go check the news.
Diane xxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh how scary for the guys and their familys, I do hope they get to the cage very soon. It must be hard for the guys trying to rescue them too, so frustrating to have to cut through all the rock. My prayers are with them all.

Hugs Jane.  :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Yes, it is still going on at 7pm and they are finding the rock the hardest they have ever dealt with....  One of our reporters that is on a show of ours called 60 minutes actually died at the scene today with a heart attack. It is a very sad and anxious weekend.
Other news that is very sad and has touched all Australians is about a little girl called Sophie.   A few years ago a car plowed into her kindy.  She was seriously injured and had burns to 85% of her body.  She is just getting on with her life and has begun school and now another tragedy has rocked their family and all of us really.  Her dad was pushing her out of school, she is 5 now and as they were crossing the road an 80 yr old driver hit her with his car!  It is unbelievable and we've all shed many tears about it.  This poor little girl is in hospital again in critical but stable condition.  They said today that her progree is better than expected but she is hurt badly and is in an induced coma.  The phonecalls to the hospital were clogging up the lines and people have been told to stop ringing, the family have been inundated with offers of gifts and help...I think every Australian is effected by this as well as our miners.  It sure makes you count your blessings but also how we all come together to support each other at times like this.  Please keep little Sophie as well as our men in your prayers
xo Sarah

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I'm afraid I've been news hopping trying to get latest info. My Grandfather was a collier and he himself was a mines rescue man. Mining used to be one of the main industries in Lancashire (UK) like cotton - until all the mines were closed.  I distinctly remember going to school and dreading the pit whistle going.  One long continuous blast was the signal for an accident.
Its like nothing else on earth - it haunts me to this day.

Sandra  :redface:

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I just saw this on BBC news 24 last night, it's horrible but the guys who are trapped are so brave, I would have gone ga ga by now for sure. Sending positive thoughts out to Oz, may they be rescued soon  :pray:

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

we are all waiting on good news!! :pray:   and the wait keep being extended!!!!!!!

Our thoughts are with little sophie and her family.  My heart broke seeing her parents on the Tv again.  I can still remember the first time their daughter was injured.

Richard Carlton the reporter that sadly passed away today has been part of Aussie Tv for years and years - He will be missed.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Its been on the news here too...
Its awful to awful for words bear_sad
:pray: CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE INVOLVED I THINK :pray:

beary_clairey Luton

I also heard about this on the news last night. I thought they would be out by now. Those poor guys, I just hope that they can hang on while the rescuers work out how to get to them !!!

Hugs

Claire

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I don't know how accurate or up to date this article is but I just saw it on CNN...for those of us who had no idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/0 … index.html

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

What an awful situation for the miners and their families!  I haven't seen a newspaper or newscast all weekend - this is the first I've heard aabout it.  I hope they can get the two minerss out safely.  I can't imagine anything worse than the waiting time both for the two men and their loved ones.

The news about Sophie is almost unbelievable.  How can so many horrible things happen to one poor wee child.  I hope she will recover fully.  Her parents much be beside themselves.  I will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Brenda

Sue@Peggotty Peggotty
Texas

I think I do believe in a higher power.  I don't know who it is or how it works but there is definately something out there that we mere mortals cannot get our heads around.

I will pray because I've known it to work. 

Can you keep us posted about both situations? bear_shocked

Sue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

It always saddens me that tragic things sometimes happen to truly innocent, good people.  Every tragedy discussed here falls into that category.

I'll keep every one of the people affected by these terrible events in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for posting; I've been hosting out of town guests this weekend and haven't seen the news.  Please let us know how things turn out.

:hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Call me a wuss, but I can go into a cave, but mining and staying down there for a job gives me the creeps!  No WAY do I have the guts to do what those miners do day in, day out.   :pray: They've got my sincere prayers that they can once again breathe fresh air and see the light of day...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So sorry about those tragic events . . . the miners and the little girl!  We had miners trapped several months ago in West Virginia and all but one died.  Just awful!  I will keep my fingers crossed for your miners and little Sophie.

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

We're all still waiting, and hoping the miner's homecoming will be today.  I was lucky enough to be dog judging in a town close to the tragedy last weekend and was dining at the local pub when 'locals' came running thru the door screaming
"they're alive".  I can't describe the celebrations and euphoria of the town.  I can only wonder at the strength and determination of the rescue teams, who after 13 days must be exhausted.

Then to hear about little Sophie.  I think the whole country gasped.  She is still in a critical but stable condition this morning...we're all praying for this brave little girl.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

How awful about the miners and the little girl.  My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I just heard on the news that it probably won't be today...I can't imagine what those men are going through down there.  My sister told me that this is a first worldwide, that no one has dug down that deep etc before and thats why it's on the news everywhere.
Frustrating for everyone....

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Tragedies, unfortunately a part of our lives.

My father worked on the gold mines during his life on this earth, and often was caught up in rockfalls. I remember once his back being bruised from the top to the bottom where a rock had hit him.
In one rockfall he was able to lead his team through some old tunnels, through which they could then launch the rescue team which saved a lot of lives, unfortunately other lives were lost.

One can only reach out and hope that the higher power is their to comfort these families during these dreadfull times.

Lynette

clare14 Country Bears
England

We're getting news here that they've been saved - what a relief for their worried loved ones, and all credit to their rescuers.   This is what life's all about in my book - a happy ending....   :hug:

Board footer