Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

I think I will have to change my name. Today a lady contacted my and said I can't use my name ..Blue Mountains Bears. She has said that she has been a bear maker since 1989 trading under the name Blue Mountain Bears. This is a registered business name in NSW Australia and we both live in the Blue Mountains of Australia. I had no prior knowledge of the name being used and have not used it to profit from her business. I am thinking of changing my name to Blue Ranges Bears. Any advice Please.
bear_sad
Cheers Susan

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Dear Susan,
So sorry to hear about this.....
mmmmm.... How about the name "Blue Mountain Teddie Bears?" 
Good Luck!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh dear, seems to be the season for it.
You could also say

'Bears from the mountains'

or other twists like that.

chris009av Real Deal Bears

That is such bad luck, it's really hard thinking up names.  I am thinking of changing mine as I do a range of bears not just real fur. I find my name is rather limiting.
Good luck with finding a name, it's such a shame after we all know you by this name.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad This is really too bad, Susan!

There must be gazillions of businesses in your area using 'Blue Mountain' as part of their names.

I can understand why the lady would object to an exact duplicate of her name, but surely she doesn't own the term 'Blue Mountain'.

How about 'Bears of Blue Mountain', or 'Blue Mountain Teddies', 'Blue Ridge Bears', 'BlueBearies',  . . . I've run dry!

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bears of Blue Mountain

I'm bummed... I loved your name!!!
Here in the States we have the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've always wished I lived there so I could call my bear business Blue Ridge Bears.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Susan, so sorry to hear about that.... bear_sad

How about...
Blue Mountain Cubs.  bear_flower
Blue Mountain Bear & Friends  bear_tongue ( am i cheating ?)
Blue Mountain HB (honey bears)  bear_smile
ours bleus de montagne(Blue Mountain Bears in French..still   cheating ?)
Sky-Blue Mountain Bears. ( am I going to wrong way ?)

Hugs/Marie

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

That's a shame...I'd check it out before you do anything and find out if this is real or not...but why not just call yourself  something like the everyone has suggested....
'The Blue Mountains Bear Company' sounds cool to me...or 'Bears from the Blue Mountains'...and anyway aren't you called Blue Mountains Bears...and isn't she Blue Mountain Bears?
Whatever happens it may be an opportunity for a whole new exciting image...be positive!!

Website

Thanks for all the replies, The lady has sent 3 emails today and stranglely enough has just registered on ebay today. Perhaps she saw my bear that was listed and got piffed. I  am only selling bears as a hobby and am not a registered business. The name Blue Mountains Bears is not a registered business name, but hers... Blue mountain bears is. I am expecting another email as I have not replied to her. Maybe I should try Blue Mountainz Bearz as it would sound the same but look different???
bear_sad
Cheers Susan

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Susan,
That is really too bad that this happened, but I will tell you my opinion looking at it from the other side. I have used Sunnie Bears for almost 5 years now. Before I could use it, I had to file paperwork and get a ficticious name license. The name is then searched to make sure it is not being used. Now recently I have found out a company in Florida is opening a store and calling it Sunny Bears. Now it isn't spelled the same, BUT since they have been advertising prior to opening the store, I have had several of my customers contact me and ask if I had moved. Since the name sounds the same, they are confused. I anticipate that I will probably have a few customers that contact the other business thinking it is me.  There isn't anything I can do about it unless I get the name registered or trademarked.  (which isn't cheap) I haven't contacted them because I guess I don't want to make waves with someone in the same business. But I really feel like I wish they would change thier name since I can prove I have been using it longer. It's not a good feeling. I am sorry that it is happening to you, but I think in all fairness, you really should consider changing your name since the other company uses it commercially and is established. It should be different enough that there isn't any confusion. I think since she is contacting you, she is serious about wanting you to change and she does have the law on her side. In my opinion, and if it were me, I would change it out of courtesy.
Sonya

Morganlefay Melbourne

What about Bears from the Blue bear_wacko

Website

After much thought I am changing my name to Blue Mountains Bears & Friends...  as I own the domain bluemountainsbears.com I didn't want to confuse anyone by having  too  much of a different name. Quite a mouthful but I think it works as I make Bunnies and other creatures. Thanks to Marie for your suggestion. I hope this is enough of a change and I won't get any more emails...  bear_cry
Cheers Susan

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Susan, I like that name.  It's unfortunate that this happened to you.  Hopefully your new name will work out fine.  Ithink it sounds great. bear_thumb   Best of luck!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I'm so sorry this happened to you Susan........and I do like the new name you've decided on. bear_wub  bear_wub That should be different enough not to cause any problems.

Many hugs  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Tracy

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

That should work..I liked Sky Blue Mountain Bears  the best.....Winney

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I do think its difficult to come up with an original name, and you certainly didn't do this on purpose.  As you've gone through and decided to change your name, perhaps you can send her along an email, explaining what you've changed, and that you didn't intend to tread on anyone's toes to begin with?   :hug:

beary_clairey Luton

How about Blue peak mountain bears!!

Thats nice!!

Hugs

Claire

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sorry to hear about the hassles you are having regarding your name, Susan.
I hope that you can get it sorted - Blue Mountain Bears and friends has a nice ring.
Best of luck with your new name.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer