Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pages:
NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I have a question for you girls (and boys)....Ebay just cancelled my auction for my Anime bear because they said I couldn't have a link to my website on my ME page.
I thought you could do that....I see tons of people doing that. 

Am I going goofy?

I am not saying they are wrong and I am not mad or upset...just confused.

Can anyone shine a light on this?  Have you had this happen?

nanc.....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yeah, everyone or most everyone has a link to their website on their About Me page... I thought that's where we actually COULD have a link.

I noticed the other day that someone, in the fine print of their auction listing, said something to the effect of "this auction listing is brought to you by theirwebaddress.com. Now isn't that cheating???

Nanc, I'm sorry this happened to you... I hope you've emailed them, questioning them about this. Perhaps someone will find their 'policy' on this for you.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I thought we could have a link on the about me page too...I agree everyone does that!  Now I'm confused!!!!!
xo Sarah

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Yes, you use to be able to put your website on your About Me page.

Here's a link to there About Me policy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis … outme.html

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

I have read the information on the link and am confused, can we link to our personal web site or not. So many people have links to their web site in the about me pages, How is Nanc different?
bear_cry
Cheers Susan

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

okay that blows!!!!

Willamette Valley Oregon

It is confusing...if you click on the additional information...it clearly says you may list your own "web site" or "web store".

Nancy, you should contact email's "live help" and ask them.  I've used it a couple times and they were very helpful...but you do have to be very specific with your question.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Shantell

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Yes, you can absolutely still link to your own web site on your About Me page.  In the link Shantell provided above, click to show Additional Information and it states this.  HOWEVER... my understanding of the About Me page is that while eBay DOES allow linking to your web site from there, they can be picky about HOW you mention it.   Your About Me page should not look like it exists solely to drive people to your web site.  You can mention it, you can link to it, but if you just have a little bit of information on that page that pretty much just tells people to go to your web site, eBay can get fussy about it.  Also be careful not to directly mention something along the lines of "Buy bears from me directly on my web site!", which eBay would consider off-site sales solicitation.  eBay does give the option to include your 'Favorite Links' on your About Me page, you could probably very safely just talk about yourself on the page for a paragraph or two, then make one of your 'Favorite Links' your web site.

As always, of course, eBay rapping people on the knuckles like this is due to somebody reporting you.  eBay itself doesn't monitor that kind of thing.  It is also possible that you were reported and eBay did a knee-jerk reaction to cancel your auction and send you a warning... and it may not have been deserved, as the way you mentioned your site may have been totally in compliance with their regulations.  Try Live Help at eBay, if they made a mistake they should credit the fees for the auction they pulled.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks Kelly....you are always a wealth of information and just seem to pop in just at the right time.

bear_original

Thanks girls...I did contact live help and they sent me to the policy police... bear_grin
Anyway, now I have to wait for an answer...the 'police' are not live help.

I said on the bottom of my auction :

"If you would like to see past friends who have found wonderful homes or would like to know when future auctions become available, please click on my ME page and follow the link to my website to sigh up on my mailing list."

My website lists my auctions that are currently on and that is all.

Oh well, what a bummer!  I know that ebay doesn't react unless someone complains.  They have said that before...so I guess someone complained, how lovely!!

I didn't save any of the listing, so now I have to start all over and remake it...it takes me a long time to make my listings...shoot!!!

I am a little bummed by this, but of course will get over it....just a big inconvenice for sure and it does hurt to think that someone may have wanted to cause me some grief.

hugs,
nanc......

Thanks Kelly...I guess I will just have to wait to hear from the ebay 5/0.  That was my understanding as well, but I guess I was wrong.

:hug:
nanc...

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. TWICE on the same auction. The first time I copied a listing that was on bid4bears prior and I forgot to take my website name off. Then after relisting it, iut was fine for a few days, then it was pulled again. I knew I did not put the website name in my listing. But what I forgot was, while updating my website, I created a new bannerthat did have my website name on it. When I uploaded it to my website, it had the same name as the banner I had on my ebay listing. So when it was refreshed, the new banner showed up on my auction and they pulled it again. SHEESH!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I said on the bottom of my auction :

"If you would like to see past friends who have found wonderful homes or would like to know when future auctions become available, please click on my ME page and follow the link to my website to sigh up on my mailing list."

Ahhhhh, what you CAN say is "For more details please visit my ME page" - what you can't say apparently "please click on my ME page and follow the link to my website"

You are not allowed to refer to your website on the actual auction page Nance - i know - someone dobbed me in and i had an auction pulled too.

Penny  :hug:

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

LOL I was another lucky person who was dobbed in for saying that my webpage link is in my ME page.  So, you are allowed to put it in your ME page, but not allowed to say the link is in your ME page - pretty pathetic huh?

I would love to know who dobbs people in?  I mean really, don't they have anything better to do with their time?

Danni

chris009av Real Deal Bears

That is such a low act to dob someone in to ebay like that.  bear_angry 
It would have to be because they are geolous of your bears.

Ok, thanks Pen...now I get it!

Dang it, I have to remake the whole listing again.  As if I had extra time  bear_wacko  to redo stuff...I barely have time to DO stuff!

I will be really careful now and not give these people with time on their hands and nothing to do, anymore chances to be 'dobbing' on me.   Wow, that sounds a little ominous and smelly.

You Ausie gals just crack me up...what the heck is dob?  Ok now, come on...explain  bear_grin

Not sure if I will relist Rosie Posie anyway...

nanc.......

chris009av Real Deal Bears

To dob someone in - is to tell on them. uuuuuuummmmmmm .....  tell tails.
oh it's hard to change your wording when you use the same phrase all the time.

Oh, that is so cute...thanks Chris...I love all the little sayings you girls use here on the chat.
By the way, I love your bunny avatar.  That fur is just scrumptious.

nanc......

Oh Erin...they are in everything.  It's just a part of life.  I don't really understand that mindset, what makes people do the things they do.  It would be interesting to study it a bit and figure it out.

My mother used to say..."the only reason a person will tear another person down, is to make themselves look better". 
That is so true and as you age and pay close attention to things that go on, people seem almost like they are programed.  You can see the repetition in life...you can see it coming, so to speak because there is a certain pattern that always leads to the same climax.

It is hard to just forget it and go on...sometimes I can't...but in this instance, it's really no biggy.  I need to be a little more 'swamp wise' and not give anyone the chance again to 'dob' me.

nanc........

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Nancy!  Yuck!  I know I've said this a couple of times on here before.... that we should look out for eachother in the nicest of ways and let eachother know privately if we happen to see something that violates eBay policy in another's auction listing.... but I, like probably many people tend to get so caught up in seeing all the lovely bear photos, that I skip over much of the description. 
It could also very well be that sentence you quoted from your listing that mentions a mailing list..... I know that we had a discussion on here a couple of weeks ago about mailing lists being mentioned in auctions.... I know you didn't have a clickable button that allows you to sign up for a mailing list.... which IS a no-no.... but maybe the mere mention of a list could get you pulled as well?  I think you are safe saying... "Please visit my about me page to learn more about my bears and my business"  but probably not much else....
Unfortuntely it looks like you've got someone scouring your listings for potential violations and turning you in.... it's underhanded & nasty in my opinion.... and certain to produce bad feelings and bad karma....
Nanc.... I hate that this is happening to you.... to avoid any possibility of reoccurance, I wouldn't mention "website" or "mailing list" anywhere in your auction description... or say anything about the content of your About Me page in the description. 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hi Kim....

Geez, I see those clickable Bravenet mailing list buttons all the time in auctions.  I didn't know they were 'illegal'.

My only problem with what happened is, I sure wish ebay would write you and tell you to get that off your auction before they pull it.  That is so inconvenient!

I put so much work into my listings and I make them right on ebay, so I can see how they look.  I know about Practiceboard...but it is easier to just make it and list it at the same time.  My point in all of this is, I don't save the listing.  Once it is listed, it is gone and now I have to start all over.

Well, Kim, your idea to watch out for each other is a wonderful one in theory, but I agree...I don't think we have the time to do it.
I prefer to NOT think someone did this on purpose to me, that is a depressing thought and today, I am on one of my 'natural highs' :dance:  induced by... happy thoughts, birds singing outside, breakfast in the making, to eat on the veranda!!!  Yep, it's going to be a great day!

nancy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
nanc*e*bears wrote:

Nancy, This is what got your auction cancelled.  You cannot even mention in your auction that you have a website.  I did that very same thing and had my auction cancelled.

It's frustrating and most likely someone reported you to ebay. There are lots of self-made- ebay-police-officers out there that love to spoil auctions ...especially when you are doing well.  Sour grapes...that's what they are.
  Sorry this happened to you. :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

oops..sorry, I see that Penny has already beat me to this info... bear_wacko  bear_whistle  :doh:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
nanc*e*bears wrote:

I prefer to NOT think someone did this on purpose to me, that is a depressing thought and today, I am on one of my 'natural highs' :dance:  induced by... happy thoughts, birds singing outside, breakfast in the making, to eat on the veranda!!!  Yep, it's going to be a great day!

nancy

I don't blame you one bit for that Nancy!  I hope it IS a great day!!!!!!!  Sounds like you have all the fixings for one!  Can I join you!?   :hug:  bear_wub  :hug:

Kim Basta 
Wild Thyme Originals

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Nancy,
     Glad your starting a new day in a super frame of mind!  I'm sorry you're auction was cancelled - did you have many bids?  If you did, I'd just notify the bidders (if you can remember them) when it is listed again.  I really think you were targeted because  your auctions are doing so well.  Some people seem to get upset with that -your little Mei Ling was exquisite.  Good luck with re-listing your auction!

Hugs,

Brenda

Pages:

Board footer