Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I work with someone that's brother is a furrier (is that how you spell it??) and she mentioned to me about possible problems with real fur teddies - what about activists?  Have any of you that sell real fur teddies encountered this?  I just use recycled fur but I dont think it makes a difference... Should all my bids be private or isn't this a big deal?  thanks gals!:)

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have never had a problem so far with activists.  That is an issue that I was concerned about.  My sister, who has activist friends, says you are giving new life to that animal.  Back in the winter time I heard on the news where PETA was taking all of these old fur coats and giving them to the homeless.  I don't see a whole lot of difference, you are recycling the coat.  Of course, I don't think like an activist.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

We've not encountered any problems with activists when listing fur teddies, though have only been doing fur bears for about a year, so maybe someone with a longer history has had other experiences.  I even make sure to list 'fur bear' or specifically the variety like 'mink' in the title as these are search terms to help people find your auctions.  I think if the activists wanted to find and tamper with fur bear auctions, it would be very easy for them to do so.  I'm hoping the fact that they don't seem to be around means they're just not interested.

I did have one lady at a show look disgusted when she asked about a bear and we responded that it was from a vintage minkpaws coat.  I think it was the 'paws' part that did it.  I will never again mention specific body parts in reference to the original animal...

Hope this helps,
Kelly

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have been making real fur bears for many years and I have run into just questions from regular folks that are curious about the subject of  the  activists view and what I think about it. I tell them ....

" I do not agree with the killing of an animal for just the fur. My customers usually store their vintage stoles in the closet, all I do is  provide another way to preserve their keepsake out of the closet." ....Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is kind of what I told the lady I work with.  I am just "giving more life" to that animal... and, like you said, it is sometimes a way for people to have a keepsake of their loved ones... I just like to make sure all my "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed... I probably won't run into problems that come into my head, I guess that is just what comes from working in a law firm!  I see it all, what can I say! Thank you all, you make me feel much better and more at ease!:D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I have to say that though I'd never wear it, I think there's nothing more beautiful than fur. I love the idea of reclaiming vintage coats that would otherwise have no life except maybe stoking someone's vanity, and turning them back into cuddly animals. If challenged, that's pretty much what I'd say.

And if some PETA-addled person attacked my bears, I'd really have to wrestle him to the ground and whup him good. That's just me.

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Eileen - I have to say you just really made me laugh!:lol: I am almost done with my first fur bear (which is made of mink) and I am not sure that I want to give it up!!! I will have to share a pic when he is done.  I wasn't sure what to do about a nose but I decided on a Fimo clay nose and then I lacquered it... I just took a cotter pin, made a snail, stuck it in the clay, formed the nose and baked and VIOLA! a nose!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

That is a great nose idea!

I posted my mink bear some time back, but still don't have a really good photo to share.

Anyway, I made a nose of leather, opened the snout again, and inset it with a bit of glue and stitching. On my second fur bear I made another leather nose, but this time cut away all the inner bulk from the leather nose and glued/stitched it on top of the snout. The second way was certainly easier!

First time through, it hadn't yet occurred to me that I couldn't embroider a nose on leather/pelt. :rolleyes:

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

The only reason I knew not to attempt an embroidered nose is becasue of you gals!  bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, I'm so glad I read these posts, because I didn't really think of that, either (about embroidering on pelts, that is.)  After much encouragement from TEDDY TALK members and friends, and a careful read of Nancy Tillberg's TEDDY BEARS WITH A PAST, I will soon start my own first-ever real-fur bear.  I've invested in a small stockpile of "beginner" furs bought locally and on eBay and will be experimenting over the next few months.

So this has been a particularly timely and informative subject!

Great idea, by the way, Kim-Bee, about the snail as fastener for a clay nose!  I'll have to try that one!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just think this board is great!  So many people to bounce ideas off of!  I have read my share of books, including Nancy's book but you guys also know things from experience!  bear_laugh  My first fur tedd is working out great!  I had the sniffles when I was working with it a little bit but it is worth it!!! Shelli - I too have a small stash of fur that I has slowly been accumulating... So many ideas are floating in my head!  I have to say, since I started making bears (just over 2-3 months ago) I have learned a lot!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Can't wait to see your furry bears, Shelli!!! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

WOOHOO! :lol:

I just got my copy of Nancy's Teddy Bears With a Past. Time to learn what I should have been doing all along.

I do love the postman . . . .

Eileen

NY

My mother does far more with real fur bears than I do, however, I do know her secret for embroidering noses on them.  It's a pretty simple solution, really.  Just don't use a leather needle.  The blade tip of a leather needle going in and out (and in and out and in and out) of the same general location will eventually slice off part of your muzzle.  Use a regular needle.  Here's a few fur bears with embroidered noses:

valentino.jpg

devon.jpg

Give it a try!
Cheers,
Kelly

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Your mom's bears (and noses) are amazing, Kelly bear_laugh I especially love the little heart-tummied panda.

But how can she keep the nose stitches so close and not shred the pelt? I still don't get it. Your mom needs to join our forums. . .

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW what gorgeous bears!

NY

Eileen, I'll check with her and make sure I'm not missing something, but I think she just swears by the regular needle.  But I will make sure :D

Cheers,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I just now received my first-ever mink stole in the mail for use in bearmaking; it was an eBay win.  Naturally, having zero experience with fur either in tanned/pelt form or as wearable outerwear, I just HAD TO try it on. 

And I am therefore now embarrassed to admit that -- on a purely vanity level -- I finally understand what drives people to wear fur garments.  I swear, I felt like a world-class goddess draped with that thing; seriously.  It also felt a little bit creepy, though, wearing something that once was alive... and was then killed just to make a pretty jacket that could otherwise have been made of shorn wool or cotton or linen or the like.  So I finally understood THAT perspective, much more personally, as well.  Every day is an education.

Of course, this mink stole will continue, unwavering, toward it's purpose and destiny; being reborn to new life as a (hopefully sweet and lovable) POTBELLY BEAR.  I'm very eager to see the final outcome, but also worried a bit as it will require a major re-invention of some of my techniques. 

PS  Am I the only person on earth who has never laid hand on a fur?  If not, and just FYI... Mink is really, really soft and glossy!  I think I want one as a pet... bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Shelli – I had much the same feelings as you.  It was beautiful stuff but kind of creaped me out but I do feel better knowing that I will be giving it a “longer life”  It isn't as creapy once it is starting to take shape as a bear

ellen ontario, canada

i had never felt a pelt (ha!) until my dad got a little mink bear when he was very very sick with cancer a few years ago.  he named him "Dink".  Dink is THE softest and cuddliest thing on the planet.  it's no wonder people like bears made of it. 
keep those real fur creations coming!
bear_original

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Shelli, the cold-room in my basement is full of furs, and I can't resist trying them on from time to time! Funny though, I no longer think of them as coats--they're my babies. After winning some on Ebay, I found a local vintage-fur seller who's willing to sell them to me in quantity. Some of them have damaged bits, but the fur and pelts are in good shape. Last time I saw him, I got 10 coats/jackets for $200. bear_laugh

I was a little creeped out, Kim, the first time I opened up a coat and saw where the little pelts had been seamed together.

Kelly, I've been reading Nancy's Teddy Bears with a Past on making real fur bears, and she embroiders noses on pelts. I have no idea where I got the notion that you couldn't, but if it works for Nancy and your Mom, maybe Shelli & I should give it a try?

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kelly, your mom's fur bears are terrific . . . just wonderful!

NY

Here's a bit more info on the way my mom embroiders noses on fur bears, hope it helps people!

Step 1. Use a regular needle, NOT a leather needle.  Unless you would like to watch your perfectly completed nose fall off your bear's face and leave a big jagged hole where it once was  bear_original  And yes, that's exactly what happened the first time she tried to sew a nose on a fur bear.  Live and learn!

Step 2. Make sure you have properly lined your fur pieces with muslin, so that they are completely adhered to each other.  This way, when you are sewing the nose you are not just piercing leather, but also a strong muslin backing.  I imagine this helps with stability quite a bit.

Step 3.  She cuts a template the exact size and shape she wants the nose to be out of either leather or ultrasuede, then uses leather glue to attach this to the muzzle.  Let it dry completely.

Step 4.  Sew the nose as you normally would.  She does advise that you don't 'push it too much'.  You probably shouldn't aim for a 4" nose with intricate curling details and 100 layers.

Anyway, hope this helps.  This technique works very well for her, her fur bears' noses are rock solid in construction.  This reminds me, I need to keep working on my own nose-sewing skills, LOL.

Happy stitching,
Kelly

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Kelly, thank you for the tip !
I never made a real fur bear but
love to learn about it. I was thinking to
take the Nancy Tillberg's fur bear class
this year . I won e-bay auction and received the old fur coat. its a SEAL fur...anyone knows about SEAL fur??? It is dark brown and soft touch. However it has allots of holes so I'm not sure if I can make 15"bear from this coat...
Hmmmmm
PS. I love your mom's fur bears !
The panda bear has heart shape tummy
and it is soooo cute. Thank you for sharing
beautiful pics. bear_laugh
Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh stop talking about real fur bubs, because I really want to make one! LOL   They are just adorable Kelly!!

Good luck Shelli - hope all goes well. Like you, I have never felt a peice of fur, I am guessing it's lovely.

Is it only me who thinks Shelli writes beautifully!?

I love reading her posts and seeing how she puts words together!
Danni

Board footer