Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Well, I did my career day talk at my daughter's school... and I must say, it was the most fun I've had in ages.... Does that make me completely insane!?   bear_wacko   
I followed many of your suggestions... talked about Teddy Rossevelt, showed them a picture of an angora goat (they thought it was funny looking!)  we made paper bears fully jointed with brads.... I took in a HUGE box of mohair scraps... each child took one and then the Art Teacher literally jumped out of her seat to ask if she could have the rest for other little projects! 
To those of you who warned me that the kids would do as much talking as me.... YOU ARE SO RIGHT ABOUT THAT!  I tried to be as interactive as possible with them, so I asked dthem as many questions as they asked me....

I asked if any one had a teddy that was special to them.... this sweet little boy raised his hand and told me that when his Grampa got cancer, he bought him a really big teddy bear so that he'd have someone with a "whiskery face" to hug him when Gramdpa died.   bear_cry  bear_cry

My second favorite question that they asked me.... How OLD were you when you started making bears?  Oh Geeze!   :doh:   

I also asked them if anyone slept with a special stuffed animal or bear......
My FAVORITE QUESTION......
"Do you sleep with one of your bears, or do you have a husband that you HAVE TO sleep with?"
   bear_grin  :crackup:  bear_grin  bear_rolleyes   
The poor teacher turned six shades of red!   :redface:

SO much FUN!

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Now why would anyone think you were insane...it sounds like you had a marvelous time.  Kids are so cute and funny in all their innocence.  I love when they ask questions and are genuinely interested in what you have to say.

Sounds like you were a hit...even if you are forced to sleep with a "husband" instead of a teddy bear.   bear_grin   bear_grin

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ohhhh Kim,
It sounds like it was a lot of fun!!!! Great that you were able to  touch some young hearts & they yours! Those are treasured memories you will have for years to come!
Hugs,

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Kim, I always enjoy talking to kids.  They can be so funny and it sounds like you had a great experience.  I'm sure they loved having you share with them too.   That "husband" comment is hilarious !
laughing-smiley-003.gif

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

That is cute, I bet you had a fun time with the kiddies!  bear_grin

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Kimmy you sound like you had a blast, so glad it went well!!  I can imagine the art teachers excitement lol.
Love the husband comment  :crackup:  :crackup:
xox Sarah

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh how CUTE!!!!!!!

I LOVED the ? about if you slept with one of your bears... or...   :crackup:

I know what you mean though.... my husband and I give talks to kids about our trips to the Amazon jungle.... the best part is when we get the thank you letters later... they really crack us up!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's cute.
Sounds like you did a great job. Maybe you've helped a whole class become teddy collectors.
Did you bring some of your bears?

You also made me think, maybe I should try and donate my mohair scraps to the school near me. Were they big scraps, or little bitty ones?

Thanks for the update

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh... it was riotous!!!!  The adults were all snickering and the kids were silent as stones just waiting for my answer.... seemed like a very legit question to them, I'm sure?!   :crackup:

heather... they were just little scraps... maybe 2x3... I have a hard time throwing mohair away, even when i KNOW that I couldn't even get a single EAR cut out of the piece!   bear_wacko  the art teacher throught the kids could use it for "hair" on their collage type drawings and clay sculptures.  "Texture" is a big thing in primary grades!    :dance:
I also volunteer at a local nursing home as a "visitor" during visitation hours for people who have no one visiting them....  bear_cry  In the past I've also given scraps to the physical therapy nurse there..... they do the same thing with them... collage work.... I hjust can't bare to put them in the trash!

Kim Basta
Widl thyme Originals

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Kim,

How adorable!  I love that you did this!  How wonderful.  And I am sure your daughter is the hit of the playground because her mommy does something really cool and useful.  Not like being a brain surgeon!  no offense to any brain surgeons here.....

How cute!

Now,

Do you sleep with a teddy or do you have a hubby you HAVE to sleep with?   :crackup:  :crackup: :crackup:

Personally?  I do both :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Sounds like you had fun!  I hope you have a teddy to sleep with instead of a husband.   :crackup:

Board footer