Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I sold two mice on ebay and one of the ladies is reselling hers.

She copied  one of the pictures I had on my first auction (which is NOT the mouse she bought) and then took a photo of the one she bought  (minus alll the stuff that went with the mouse)and put it on also.

So there is a total of 2 photos in the auction.

The problem arises that, the mice were different.  The 1st mouse had brown ultra suede feet while the one she bought had the white...and it shows up in the photos.

I know that many artists will bid and buy back their work, for fear of someone buying it cheap and taking it apart to obtain their original pattern.

However...this mouse is already at 222.50 and I can't spend that kind of money right now. 

What do you think girls? I will take any advice right now or would LOVE to hear your experiences with this and how you feel.
hugs,
nanc

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I found the auction you were talking about.. apparently this gal needs money because she is selling other artist's bears as well... At least she went for a good price

:hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Unfortunately life happens...and it would appear that this person may indeed may be a in a position of needing cash.  She did give you full credit for the mouse itself and didn't just list her without acknowledging your work.

But then, I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and try and see the good in all.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh I would not worry about it Nanc, that has happened to me over the years with the barbies, they usually need the money and I think it looks good for your business for the resale of your creations to go high anyways!!!

:hug:  :hug:

Oh, I know Kim !  I don't have a problem with her selling it at all.  I totally understand how circumstances in life can cause drastic changes to each of us...and I see collectors buy and sell all the time.

AND...she was very complimentary about my work in her wording, which was very nice.  I remember her and she is a very sweet lady.

I just hope that no one thinks I had anything to do with this auction because there are 2 different mice in the pictures...and I am thinking that perhaps the buyer will think she has a brown mouse coming, when in actuality she will be getting a white mouse.

The funny thing is I periodically will put a mouse on my website, that sells for nearly what this went off for on the secondary market.

Well, thank you Kim for your response and the PM"S I received as well.

Everything turned out fine...not a problem at all.
hugs,
nanc.......

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Once, back when I was making dolls I had a collector resell one and she took the most atrocious pictures ever!  Now.... I am certainly NOT known for my own photography skills, but the pictures she took for her auction just truly made the doll look awful!  The auction was half way over with not a bid, and I was just hoping and praying that people wouldn't think THAT was what my dolls looked like!  I emailed her, asked if she wanted to use the photos from the original listing... she did... the doll sold, and everyone was happy! 

I guess that's my only "mild gripe" about my dolls or bears being sold on the secondary market. 

That's great that the mouse did so well on resale Nancy!!!!  Truly, that speaks to the desireability of your work for sure!   :hug:  :hug:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

...technically, the copyright on the photos belongs to you.  You can notify eBay that she is using your photos without permission, they will pull the auction.

Amelia

Shantell and Tami...I must have been typing at the same time you did, otherwise I would have commented on your posts...sorry!...BUT thank you too!

I laughed when I read what you said Kim...not that it was funny what you went thru, but about the fact that her pictures were so bad and you offered yours.  I don't care that she used mine at all, in fact in light of what you said Kim, I am glad she did.

I am just concerned, as I said...that the person who bought the mouse will be expecting one mouse and get another  :doh:

Yes, you girls are right, I am glad to see the secondary market value was in a good range.

My only concern, as I said...is I don't want anyone thinking that was my auction because she used my name in the listing title.

Geez, I think I will watch her auctions  bear_grin ...there have been some great artists work being sold.

Thanks girls,

Nanc........

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I noticed it last night Nanc.  Good thing is that resale is going so well!  I've seen a lot of people resell their artist bears and get barely anything for them!  Shows how popular you are bear_original  I hope the picture discrepancies  don't make things difficult for you when the buyer gets her mouse....
xox Sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Nancy, I think all of your regulars know your auction formats and your user name so I think you are ok about them thinking it was you... and her wording makes it clear that she is a collector trying to make money and not the artist bear_original

Amelia...I know what you are saying, but I honestly don't think people know that rule with ebay and no harm came of it.  It's no biggy to me!!  But thank you for the knowledge and your concern.

Sarah, I hope not too.  I got an email this morning from a collector and I froze!  but it was a question about doing a micro piece for her.  Too funny.

Kim, I understand what you mean...but I can remember back when my son-in-law was a boat captain (college money) at Stone Mountain here in Atlanta.  They had this huge billboard telling people the departure times of the boats...and people would stand right by the sign and ask when the next boat was leaving.   :crackup:

I get many questions from my auctions asking exactly what I have in the auction.  I don't mind at all anwering their questions, I have made a great many friends that way...but I think sometimes people don't take the time to read (everyone is so busy these days and my stories do get a little long  bear_wub )   or they read what they THINK it might say.  Does that make any sense?

Well, I just hope 'mousie' went to a great mommy and I am sure she did.

hugs,
nanc.....

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

This  has happened to me lately..a lady...a very nice lady who bought lots of bears from me...for what ever reason..has been selling her collection...maybe for the money...maybe just a change of scenery..

My thoughts at the time were....Oh NO!!! But then the first one fetched a good price and the others didn't meet their reserve but she had set it too high in my opinion...there were plenty of bids though. I know at least one was sold as I then sold a bear to  the lady that bought it.

There again the photos were terrible...and didn't do the bears justice...just the arrangement of the photo...the pose...the background..everything could have been fixed in a second or two....She even suggested they look at my website on the listing...which I don't know how I felt about that since the pictures were so terrible. I think it might have affected my own ebay sales too...as at the time they were on so was one of my new bears...I think she may have done it on purpose to get a higher price for her bear...I can't blame her for it..but I was a bit bemused at the tactic...

On the other hand there were many bids and views and so... hey-ho.. it's just one of the things that happen when you start to sell things that you make I guess.

Such is life!!!

Board footer