Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Good morning TTers,

I received this email from through my Ebay messages and just don't know what to do as this person is in China !  He is also bidding on and has won a few other fur bear  in the past couple of days.  I just don't know if it is legitimate because of all the China scams lately. He has 7 positoive feedbacks so far, but are they actually real -who knows???    So far he hasn't bid on my bear, but I do have one for sale one my website.  Should I respond ?????????????  He wants photos - makes me suspicious as my ebay ones are marked for sale only by .... .  He hasn't looked at my site yet as I have a tracker.  HELP ! -Tammy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Good Morning,

I am very glad to find your item for the beautiful and cute Fur Bear. I love it very much. And I would like to ask you that do you have more the OOAK Fur Bear? My friends are like it very much and we hope can buy others directly from you. Pls let me know if you have more, and pls send me the photos if you have.

Look forward for your reply.

Best Regards,

Kevin (Kevinswang)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I'd say direct him to your website. And offer to add him to your email list so you can notify him when the  next fur bear is ready for adoption. If you choose to send him pictures put text on your photo, over part of the bear, with your name or copyright etc.. If he does intend to use your photos unlawfully he'll have to spend time editing the photos to get your text off. I'd say just let him look at your website.

Good luck!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Tammy one bad apple does not spoil the whole barrel.  I like to think that people in general are good.  I would do just like Daphne suggested.  I have never sold any bears to China but many over seas to places like Japan, Indonesia,  and many other foreign countries which all were ligit sales. 

It is good , though to always beware.

Good luck.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

ps.  One thing I would like to mention is about swap bears.  I recently did a swap bear with a gentleman in Germany.  He got the bear I sent, several weeks ago and said he loved it.  I have never received the bear he was supposed to make for me and he does not anwser my emails.  Never again.

Onthis board I would not worry...but I trusted this man. :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tammy, I agree with Daphne and Judi - he could be a very legitimate person and you don't want to taint all customers from the far east without giving them an opportunity to buy legitimately.   I would definitely add text to my pictures though, and I would be tempted to add text to pictures on your website from now on as well as my ebay pictures.  I don't put any picture of my bears on the internet now, without clear text.   It's difficult to remove it without marring the picture and if the person or any other wants to steal photos, it will be a deterent.

Judi, that's terrible about your swap.  Was this fellow an artist?  One that you recognized?  I did a few swaps from Europe, a few years ago, and I always got my bear even though I didn't know the other artists at all when they contacted me.  I can't believe how unscrupulous people are.  Do you know if he has done this with other artists?  Just being my "nosey" self LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks for the input everyone.  I didn't want to jump to conclusions, just that his bidding methods seemed odd.  He keeps bidding against himself and really jacks the price up .  Odd -I thought so anyway.  I'll do as Daphne suggested and also add the text to my web pics.  Thanks gals for the advice.  :hug:

P.s.  Judi I'm so sorry to hear about your swap.  Don't you hate when you get taken advantage of.  It makes you leary of everyone.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

just that his bidding methods seemed odd.  He keeps bidding against himself and really jacks the price up .

Tammy, I am a little puzzled about what you said - how can he jack the price up bidding against himself?? Or is he using more than one ebay identity (which would really make me uneasy, but how would you know?)?? No matter how many times he puts a bid in, the price won't increase unless someone else is bidding against him will it?

I can certainly understand you being cautious - sounds like good advice from the others on here.
Bear hugs, Edie

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Edie, I know that is what I thought too. I didn't think you could raise your own bid.  But, if you check out this auction link it looks like he kept bidding and not against a higher bidder on the 19th - based on the date of the bids and the names that pop up.  Maybe I'm crazy and am reading this wrong, but it looks odd to me.  Anyway, I got up the nerve and emailed this seller.  She said he seems legit , nice and sent payment already so I guess I was being too paranoid ? !   bear_ermm

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V … :MEWA:BIDN

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Hi Tammy,
I went and looked at the auction and I think I may have figured it out. I wonder if that auction had a reserve on it - then he might have kept bidding in higher increments to try to get to the reserve??? (I know it used to show in an ended auction that the reserve had been met but don't know if it still does or not as they have made some changes and you can't even see what the start price was any more - just how much the first bid was). If there wasn't a reserve then I don't think any of his further bids would have showed until someone bid higher than he had - but it wouldn't really make sense for him to bid that way unless he was trying to get over a reserve. I noticed it shows him with the 2 last bids but they are the same amount so that would mean he had the top bid and then bid again to protect it in case someone else bid higher than him but it doesn't show the amount of that bid as he didn't need it to win the auction.
Does this make sense to you???
Bear hugs, Edie

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

Hi Tammy,

Based on my guess that your opeinig bid was $100 Australian and eBay's policy "Only actual bids (not automatic bids generated up to a bidder's maximum) are shown." here is what I think happened.

(Please read from the bottom up) 

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $305.00 22-May-06 08:44:36 EDT  (kevinswang bid higher to protect himself and eBay listed the same amount previously bid but updated the new bid time and date)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $305.00 22-May-06 08:43:34 EDT  (kevinswang bid at least $305.00 and eBay lsited the minimum amount required to beat jerie559's $300.00 bid)

jerie559 ( 16)  US $300.00 21-May-06 16:48:46 EDT  (Jerie559 tried to protect his bid by entering a bid of $300.00 on 21-May and eBay listed it "trumping" kevinswang's $300.00 bid by date and time.)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $300.00 22-May-06 08:43:24 EDT  (kevinswang bid $300.00)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $260.00 22-May-06 08:42:15 EDT  (kevinswang bid $260.00 and eBay automatically counter bid using the maximum entered by jerie559)

jerie559 ( 16)  US $255.00 19-May-06 23:02:50 EDT (jerie559 entered a bid higher than $250.00 and eBay posted $255.00 as it is the next higher bid required to beat kevinswang's $250.00 bid)   

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $250.00 19-May-06 16:02:42 EDT  (kevinswang finally bid higher than parrotlady64's first "maximum" bid)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $240.00 19-May-06 16:02:22 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $230.00 19-May-06 16:02:15 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $220.00 19-May-06 16:01:57 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $200.00 19-May-06 15:56:51 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $150.00 19-May-06 15:45:26 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $130.00 19-May-06 15:41:41 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $120.00 19-May-06 15:41:30 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $110.00 19-May-06 15:41:13 EDT  (see below)

kevinswang ( 7 )  US $100.00 19-May-06 15:40:45 EDT  (Entered a bid and eBay automatically counter bid using the maximum entered by parrotlady64)

parrotlady64 ( 392)  US $91.00 17-May-06 22:18:53 EDT (Entered a bid just under $250.00 and eBay listed the opening bid of $91.00 USD)

I hope this is helps,

Dale

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Its a bit complicated isn't it?   :doh:  :doh:

Sandra  :redface:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Wow, Dale--very clever!  :clap:

I'm glad your sale turned out ok, Tammy.

And I hope you get your swap bear soon, Judi, or at least some plausible explanation for the delay.

Eileen

Board footer