Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

I have a couple of questions.

How do you price your bears?
I have seen a lot of formulas for pricing bigger bears but how do you come up with a price for the wee ones?

How do you advertise?

I have been making miniatures for a while but am just starting to sell them.

Any tips would be helpful

Thanks
Yvette

chris009av Real Deal Bears

That's a good question Yvette, I am having the same delema.
It's easy when you list on ebay, I just put what I want to cover costs pluss a bit of time and then hope to get more.  But I am gearing up to be a trader for the first time, thus having to work out prices, and I am finding that a bit overwhelming. bear_wacko

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

If you do a search ..... I know this topic has been covered before ...... if I can work out how to post it here I will http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=3636 I hope this works

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

Thanks for the link Patsy. I will go and look at the information.

Christine- I know what you mean about ovetwheling. I feel the same way LOL

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Christine, I have found this too , to be a difficult topic.  A really good way to test the market is by listimg them on ebay.  It may take a while to build a collector base, which is always growing but it will help somewhat.

I think about what my materials cost and how much time I put in PLUS...people are paying for YOUR design and that is worth something too.

You could take a length of identical mohair and give it to twenty artists.  They could all make a 12" bear.....and they would all get different prices.

I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this question.  AFter I makle a bear I ask myself...what would I need to get to make me satisfied?  Then use that as my reserve on ebay or bid4bears.  If it goes for more...great!  Sometime it will and sometimes it will not.  Just don't let yourselves be defined by ebay.  It is only one outlet for sales.

Don't forget about Bid 4 Bears too.  I think this will be a very successful outlet for bear artists and collectors alike.  It just needs a little time and support form lots of artists.

Well, I m rambling.

I hope the topic link Patsy posted will help too.

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Thankyou Patsy and Judi, I went through all the posts in the link that Patsy was kind enough to direct us too.
I feel alittle more able to fix a price, although I might be abit on the high side.  I am going with the $10 - $15 an inch guide for my mohair bears.  But, I will be going to the high end of that and then adding costs. Although it's going to be my first time as a trader at the show, I feel that the quality of my bears warrent it. And hey, I did win best of show for 2006 so that's got to say something.  I feel that $10 an inch is underselling, as if you sell a bear thats 4" say, thats only $40 for about 7 hours work, then you also have your costs to come out of it.
I hope this will help you also Yvette, seeing how I am going to handle this problem.
Thanks once again  bear_original

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

Thanks for all the tips.

Good luck with your show Christine - hope you sell everything!!

Yvette

Board footer