Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

nettie scotland
Website

be_12_sb.jpgAs some of you may know I am one of those rare teddy bear artists who doesn't collect bears???I have a few from my dear friend Mary Dowd (all pressies) and a lovley birthday bear from our very own Marion.How spoiled am I ???
Well Canny Scot that I am I have at last purchased a bear whooppee!!!
Here she is and she is American to boot!!!
I am all flustered and quite taken aback.This may all sound silly to most of you but I have to rev up to buy myself anyting.I always feel I have to justify it in some way.
Well I didnt need this wee soul but I am sure she will make me happy.
Hugs Diane ...
crash bang******I just fainted!!!!

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Oooooh Diane - she's lovely, I'm sure she'll make you very happy.  I don't collect either but I'm still waiting for that special old bear to put in an appearance.  I'm very jealous now you have yours - I came very close once on ebay but got sniped at the end - is your heart racing and your head thumping - that's how I felt and I only nearly bought one.  Well done you, she's fab!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Yeah! You did well!
She is gorgeous!

If I had to justify for eveyt bear I bought, dear there would be no end, because my hug cannot stop growing! bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh Nettie, what a gorgeous bear, you must tell us more about her - is she an old bear, or an artist bear, and why did you buy her - oh no, I've gone into nosyness again, just curious!!     :hug:

We all need a little something from time to time, I admire your self control, something I am not blessed with in any way, shape or form.... bear_whistle  ESPECIALLY where bears and supplies are involved  :rolleyes:

Hope she brings you lots of happiness anyway!!     bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website
vkallum wrote:

Oooooh Diane - she's lovely, I'm sure she'll make you very happy.  I don't collect either but I'm still waiting for that special old bear to put in an appearance.  I'm very jealous now you have yours - I came very close once on ebay but got sniped at the end - is your heart racing and your head thumping - that's how I felt and I only nearly bought one.  Well done you, she's fab!

I was bidding on a forget me not bear at Christmas time and was almost sick.It was a moment of madness and way more than I could spend.Luckily I was outbid.I had to lie down then.I decided I would like a real odie so I could be inspired!!!Good excuse eh???I only paid £51 and she is a 1915 american bear.I felt I got a bargain!!!I will post spme picturesof her when she arrives.She is due on Monday (help I sound like a prospective mum) It is sooo out of character.Maybe its the menopause!!!
This bear will sit with my old childhood cheeky and my 1930's chiltern rabbit.Quite a vast collection!!!!
Hugs Diane xxx

nettie scotland
Website
clare14 wrote:

Oh Nettie, what a gorgeous bear, you must tell us more about her - is she an old bear, or an artist bear, and why did you buy her - oh no, I've gone into nosyness again, just curious!!     :hug:

We all need a little something from time to time, I admire your self control, something I am not blessed with in any way, shape or form.... bear_whistle  ESPECIALLY where bears and supplies are involved  :rolleyes:

Hope she brings you lots of happiness anyway!!     :love:

Clare don't worry about being nosy I am too.She is a 1915 american bear and I bought her on ebay.I have wanted an antique bear for ages.I am hoping it will help me age more authentically.I have been looking for a while but they are usually a lot more than what I paid.£51.A bargain eh???I am hoping she has no mites as I hate the thought of puting her in the freezer.I restored a hugmee once and he had to go in the deep freeze.I felt so bad!!!
Diane xxx
p.s she has her own wee hand made outfit too!!!

clare14 Country Bears
England

A wonderful buy, well done!!   She's beautiful!!   I love the old American bears, they're a wonderful shape.   I buy old bears too to give me ageing ideas, I'm a very visual person, I've been very good and not bought any for a while though - you'd be proud of me!!   Supplies and other stuff however, well we'll gloss over that.....  bear_whistle     

Look forward to seeing some more photo's when she arrives, you must be excited, I would be!!   bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website
clare14 wrote:

A wonderful buy, well done!!   She's beautiful!!   I love the old American bears, they're a wonderful shape.   I buy old bears too to give me ageing ideas, I'm a very visual person, I've been very good and not bought any for a while though - you'd be proud of me!!   Supplies and other stuff however, well we'll gloss over that.....  bear_whistle     

Look forward to seeing some more photo's when she arrives, you must be excited, I would be!!   :love:

How many old bears do you have Care??Show us a picture of them if you can.I would love to see them.I think you may be a bad influence!!!!
Diane xxx

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Dianne...I know what you mean about old bears...I remember a customer bringing in an old Chiltern to the salon to show me...he was a bit tatty but all the more lovable for it. I did the womans hair and she said she didn't want him and would I be interested...so I asked her what she wanted for him and she said, 'make me an offer...'so I cheekily said 'Ok...how about you don't pay for the hairdo and I get the bear'

I got the better half of the deal.....He's bald and beautiful and worth every snip!!!

nettie scotland
Website

I love old chiltern bears especially hugmee's.I restored one for a woman in Islington in exchange for my nights board for a bear fair.
I hope I don't want more bears.I may ban myself from ebay for a while!!!My friend Beth of Beths bears has two old steiffs,now them I would love.
P.s I hope she liked her hairdo ha ha.
Diane xx

bearkeeper Posts: 18

She's a beautiful old bear. Congratulations.

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Oohhh, lucky you Diane.  I am envious.  As you know, I collect very few bears now, but I too would have been tempted by that little cutie you have acquired - and what a deal you got!  You will have to send more pics when she arrives.  The only genuine old bear I have, isn't a bear at all, but is an Old English Sheep dog, and I have no idea by whom he is made.  One of these days I must find out.

Jane P.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hey Nettie I don't collect either.  i bought my first a couple of months ago and a couple of weeks ago got another but most of my hug are gifts or swaps!

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oooo, she's awesome!!  I am envious!!!!!

Kimberly W.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

[size=20]Diane said [/size] 

crash bang******I just fainted!!!!

Awwwww honey!  you deserve a bear now and then....

[size=18]Do you have any idea how many bears of yours are out there in the world?[/size]

[size=18]How many hearts you've sent a twittering with your bears?[/size]

[size=18]Doncha think a lady like you who has brought such joy to so many others, just once in a while deserves a little fur covered hug?[/size]

[size=18]How many folks up and fainted when they received your packages?[/size]

[size=18]OKOK-back to work lady......times-a-wasting.........[/size]

[size=18]Good for you getting yourself a lovely furbaby!  :love:[/size]

bear_tongue

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

She is gorgeous, you purchased well!!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Danni

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I love that bear...lovely face and her dress is just perfect....yes, you deserve a wonderful "furbaby "...a new  baer word Dilu...Winney

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Well done Nettie! You deserve to buy a bear if you want one. Looks like you picked a great one too. bear_thumb  She is so sweet bear_wub  and I'm sure she is thrilled to be coming to live with you and be your own personal Bear Aging Advisor!

Congratulations!!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Way to go Diane! What a great bear! And a great price for her too! No need to justify - call it an investment! (and so much cuddlier and more inspiring than stocks and bonds! - also more likely to go up in value)
Bear hugs, Edie

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I love your new bear, and I'm glad she found a great home!   bear_original

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Beautiful Bear Diane and how happy you must be to have a new Bear to add to your collection.
Enjoy your new treasure.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Diane, she's lovely - can't wait to see more pictures!  I'm glad you finally have a new bear to add to your collection - it's about time!  Take care,

hugs,

Brenda

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Diane,

She's wonderful.  I love the old bears but...I hate to admit this...I don't know one "real" one from a "fake" one.  I just can't tell over the computer.  I don't know what I'm looking at.

Wonderful...and as far as justifying it...you DESERVE it.   That's my theory!!!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

It sounds like you did get a bargain.  The old bears usually have a very high value.  I have a Petz bear that was my dad's.  It is from the 1920's and is very worn.  His appraised value is over $800.  I think you did a good job.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

AWWW dianne shes beautiful...
Im the same too thrifty for my own good...
TAKE PLEASURE YOU PROBABLY DESERVE IT bear_wub

Board footer