Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Hi all

I have seen some wonderful photos done by many artists but I am a bit stuck on how to add effects to my pictures. Softened edges, bubbles etc etc,  I have tried looking in paint shop pro but can't find anything there, could anyone please tell me which programmes they use or how it's done?

many thanks bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

[size=18]Hi Wendi[/size]

Have you played with your photo program?  You must have some kind of a program for your piccys- and many of those programs have special effects in them.....try there first.

Many people use Adobe's photoshop program and others use Corels paintshop photo shop and there are many others as well.

The key, of course, is taking the time to learn all the features your program offers, and if it isn't detailed enough then to investigate other programs that may have more of the features you need.

But, your best bet is to start with what you have....see what it will let you do.

bear_tongue

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Hi Dilu

I have Corels paintshop pro x but can't find those types of effects on it, my hubbie has Adobes photos shop so i will ask him to put it on my pc so i can ahve a play with that, i'm not very technical with this sort of thing  :doh:

Thanks Dilu  bear_original

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Wendi

in paint shop pro, go to the help menu and type in "frames" it will tell you how to get those special effect edges like either picture frames or faded edges. to get the faded edges, you wwant to pic one of the frames that are all black with a clear cutout area in the center  like this

Door14.jpg

Sonya

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

oh Sonya, thanks :hug:  just had a quick play but will learn how to use it properly now I know where to start  bear_original

Violetpshop.JPG

juliah Bracken Bears
Suffolk
Website

Hi Wendi

I use Paintshop Pro too.  I normally just create a new raster layer,fill the new layer with colour of choice (normally white).  Then I select the area I want to keep, choose ellipse from the tool options, choose feather to at least 15 to create the feathery effect around the outside and then cut, merge the layers, select again and cut and paste as a new image. It sounds complicated but once you have done it a few times it becomes much easier.  I hope this helps.

Julia

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I would suggest using the help section that is on the menu on the top. You can go to an index and search for what it is you are looking for. I do that most of the time to help me find out information. Go to the web site for the photo prgram that you have. Sometimes they offer e-mail newsletters that offer free tutorials, tips, and tricks.  There might even be an independent web site that offers free information.
I usually, subscribe to the newsletters. Many times they go into the trash, but every so often I will see information that I can make use of, so I go and visit the sight, read the information and print it off if I can, then I can refer back to it. I keep a binder labeled for the program and add new information as I get it. That way I don't need to go out and spend a $$$$ forutne on books.
How this helps,  bear_laugh

Krümelbärchen Kr
Hagen / Germany

Hello Wendy  bear_original

I think the most artists of photography work with Photoshop by Adobe, it's a huge software but unfortunately very expensive  bear_cry

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/  But it's possible to get a 30 day trial version.

But a lot of time is necessary to learn it - I work with Photoshop and love it.
If you are interested try to get an older version eg 6.0 an than you buy the update - it's cheaper than to buy the newest full version.  Have a look at ebay for an older one. I bought 6.0 3 years ago for Eur 60,00

If you have a question - I will help you when I'm able - because I don't know everything about it  bear_whistle

Board footer