Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Did anyone do anything special on this holiday?  We met our daughter and son-in-law for a movie and lunch.  Saw "The DaVinci Code" . . . very interesting . . . then came home and played with the dogs.  I put up one of those 'skyline' cable things that allows dogs to run around, but remain attached to the cable (we don't have a fence).  Also spent some time remembering why we have a Memorial Day, and I don't do that enough.  I just get frustrated with the futility of war sometimes.  Big sigh.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Sue Ann,
     It's not a holiday in Canada - we don't have a Memorial weekend.  We have Remembrance day on November 11th and it's only a partial holiday.  The banks and public service things are closed but the schools remain open - it's celebrated on the  actual date of the 11th, no matter what day of the week it falls on.   There are always big ceremonies everywhere, including the schools.  I think they believe more kids will know what it's all about if they include them in the ceremonies at school, rather than give them another holiday that doesn't mean anything to them.
     I'm reading the DaVinci Code now - I'm 2/3 of the way through.  Did you read the book first?  I'm not sure whether I'm shooting myself in the foot as the book is very complex and they obviously can't include "everything" in the movie.  Did you enjoy it?  Anyway, have a good night.

hugs,

Brenda

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

bear_smile We had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.....taking me forever to get caught up on these posts!  bear_smile
We went to camp where we were joined by a lot of our 'adopted' family.....my husbands college roomate, Dinger, a good friend, Scott, our son, Aaron and his girlfriend Meg, niece, Theresa and Brett, the boyfriend, and Jeremy, our son's best friend, a former member of my hubby's boy scout troop, and an adopeted son, his daughter, Savanah and his girlfriend Jennifer, our daughter's best friend, a former member of my Girl Scout troop and an adopeted daughter (Scott's real daughter!) bear_wub 
We were able, because of all the help, get the new dock put in, the old sailboat taken out, the new one put in, played games, sat and talked by the campfire....water was too cold to swim for most of us, but did get out in the newly finished canoe and took pictures of the new dock, our camp and the neighbors new camp that was just finished.
Only thing that was missing was our daughter.....but she lives on the other side of the country from us!
it was a wonderful weekend with all the friends, AND, the most beautiful weather. (last week it was raining and only about 55 degrees, over the weekend the sun was out and got up to 85 degrees!!!!)  bear_flower
Hope everyone else had a good weekend!
pandamac

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Ellen,  bear_flower
We got the weather you had last week!  It rained nearly the whole weekend.  Yesterday was lovely though. 

Since we knew it was going to rain we decided to tackle remodeling the powder room.  We'd stripped all the awful wallpaper the previous owners had put up when we moved in a year ago.    The walls weren't primed before putting the paper up so along with the paper came pieces of wallboard.  Yuck!  Anyway, having finally decided what I wanted to do with the powder room we jumped right in, took EVERYTHING out, repaired the walls, sanded, applied a distressed stone texture, then primed and painted the walls.  Oh, and I painted new wide baseboard and crown moulding for the room as well.  The new cabinet won't be delivered for two weeks so next weekend we'll put up the trim and put in the new potty.  I still have yet to decide on the lamps for the cabinet.  We already have a lovely old Italian mirror we're going to use.  When it's all done I'll post pictures so you can see the before and after. 

There's nothing like a project to get you back on track when you're riding an emotional roller coaster.  It helps one focus on the positive.  The end result is a double bonus!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

It felt like a Saturday yesterday.    My mom came and piked up Joey so I could rest a bit.  We had 93 degree weather which followed a tremendous thunder storm the night before. Wonderful for our corn crops.

I'd like to see that movie Sue Ann, but it worries me just a little at how convincing it could be.

It was just like a lazy summer day here (except for my hubby who has to milk , feed, and take care of our cows).

I lazed around, worked on bears and thought about all the young widows and fatherless children we now have in our country. bear_cry  My heart breaks for them.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

We had a very lively Memorial Day weekend.  Friday we had my niece and 2 girls from church come to spend the weekend.  I made pizza and we added more bodies for dinner to make a total of 11.  On Sunday we added another niece and two more girls to the mix to spend the night.  Monday we had a cookout here at the house.  We probably had 50 or more people out for this.  It was hectic but fun.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

At least it sounds like you guys had lots of fun.  I'm probably one of the very few people who hasn't read "The Da Vinci Code", so didn't have any preconceived notions about it.  Paul really liked it, but Pam and Scott said it left out a lot and changed a few things.  It didn't change anything I believed/didn't believe before seeing it . . . after all - it's just a novel.  And I guess I got a little picky when the codes turned up written in English.  But - it was entertaining.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Written in English?!!!!  Sheesh!  Not even Aramic?

I also have not read the book......now I am glad.....

Don't worry Judikins, your faith is strong enough for the movie

Besides, if our faith is real, true and honest it can withstand any amount of questioning, and questioning is not against faith-it leads to deeper faith.

Thank you for mentioning our soldiers and their families who are risking their lives right now.  And for all those who went before.  Without these selfless souls we wouldn't have our country.

And for those who are ashamed of our country;

If its so bad why are so many millions of people willing to risk their lives to get here.....

Hmmmmm?

your li'l old flag waver me

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I stand in that line with you, Dilu!!  I'm a proud flag waver too! 

Warmest star spangled hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Glad to hear that you all had a good Memorial Day.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

bearkeeper Posts: 18

I visited my father and grandmother's gravesites. Later on we barbequed. I ate more than I probably should have.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Happy belated Memorial Day!

On Sunday we went to a cookout all day with DH's family, and on Monday, we went to a cookout with my family at our country club.  DH and I have a lot of people from our families that were in the military so we talked about them.

Board footer