Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Are there anyone of you, who can come up with some great advice on, how
to sew in the gusset, nice and easy.
The problem is the nose ( snout ), The smaller the bear, the bigger is the problem.
I will appreciciate some good advices.
Which way do you lay the seamallowence, when you stuff the head?
I have tried the Ted Menten way, but this way don't work for me.
Can you help me.

Hugs Birgitte

:hug:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Hej, Birgitte,

This is the way I was taught to work on sewing the gusset in. I haven't done this in a few years (because I haven't sewn a head in a few years--I just started making bears again!).

First, sew the two side head pieces together from the tip of the nose down to above the chin. This way you have more room to fiddle with the side head pieces when you're setting in the gusset.

Next, pin the center nose point of the gusset to the nose point on the side head pieces.

Then, only pin the U-shaped part of the gusset to the side head pieces.

Then sew the U-shaped part you've pinned to the side head pieces. You could sew across the nose and then go back and do the sides of the U shape, or you could sew from eye to eye around the U shape.

Now you'll go back and sew the chin and neck part of your side head pieces. And you'll also pin the rest of the gusset to the side head pieces and sew them up.

That's it! I hope this helps. Let me know if anything is not clear.

bear_flower  Debora

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Oh, and the seam allowance...I have never thought about it. I think it may lay open when I stuff the head, but I guess I don't pay much attention to it! Anyone else?

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

On the smaller bears you might want to try sewing the gusset to the two side heads first.  Then finish with the nose to chin to neck seam.  By doing it this way, you end up with a nice little triangle for the nose.  Start say, with the left side head, stitch it from the tip of the nose to the neck.  Then stitch the right side head and stitch it to the gusset from the tip of the nose to the neck.  Then line up the two side head pieces at the tip of the nose with the two seams pinched in that seam and stitch that seam down to the neck.  I usually make the nose of my gusset a straight rectangle.  You don't want the curve since you aren't meeting at the center seam. 
I hope this has made some sense.
Donna

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I pin and sew the sides together from the chin/neck front to the nose. Then I pin the gusset centre to the open front seam keeping it flat. I use three pins and I sew a few anchoring stitches to position the centre of the gusset to the nose/head sides. I then pin and stitch one side of the head to one side of the gusset finishing my stitching at the tip of the nose for the right side and starting my stitch line at the tip for the left . I do two rows of machining for both sides...and when it's stitched in place I then do another row around the nose only for safety.

I mark my stitching line so I can follow it easily when machining....

I find this way a doddle to do...

PS as far a the seams go I have so many seams in my bears heads I do try to flatten them as I go...but I often try to turn them after stuffing using a darning needle if it's affecting the pile direction in a negative way

Denmark

Hi Debora, Donna and Jenny

I thank you for your great advices. I have one question - don't you
whipstitch anything together?
Do you spread the seam allowance?

Many hugs Birgitte  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I sew the two sides together and then sew the gusset in place.. I also sew the gusset in place a bit at a time... I sew a bit on one side, say from the tip of the nose to where the eyes would go, then do the other side, switch back to the other side and sew from the eye point to the top of the head and so on.... bear_original I use to do it the other way but was having matching up problems bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I don't whip stitch or tack ...I just pin and sew. The seam allowance is open at the nose so I get a nice straight seam.  It's hard to keep the side seams open.....

ylc Y Daydream? Designs
Spotsylvania, VA

I baste/whipstitch my gusset. I start at the nose and baste to just above the eye area. Then get a different needle and thread and start from the back and baste up toward the center then finish off with the first needle and thread. It helps to give a nice shape to the curve of the head. I do one side than the other. I also baste a little larger than the seam allowance so it holds the fur down better and not so much gets caught when you are sewing.

I don't like pinning bear_sad

Hugs
Yvette

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

On my little ones I sew the side pieces together, neck to nose. I then use stay stitches to position the gusset (these bears are too small for pins!). First I attach the front centre of the gusset to the nose seam of the side pieces, using a few over stitches. Then I do the same at a couple of points along the gusset, attaching it evenly to the side pieces. Then I sew through the U-shape of the gusset, then down each side to the back.

Hope this makes sense!

Denmark

I thank you so much for all your good adwises.  bear_flower
I have tried them, and they work much better, than the
method, I've used before. It is easyer, and much nicer now.
GussetT1.jpgGussetT2.jpgGussetT3.jpg

Thank you so much.  :clap:

Many hugs Birgitte  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

Board footer