Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi again,  bear_flower

I have been wondering about this for a loooooong time now and as i have been away for a while i wanna try and get lots of things written here on TT..............anyhow,

Are Private Messages totally and completely private or can they be accessed by the boards owners/builders or Help Advisors? I'm not paranoid or nothin but i was asked this once and never found out what the answer is and now my interest has been tweaked again by the question.

Any idea anyone?

Penny  :hug:

i'm not called dizzy lizzy for nothing and i don't even have blonde hair!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  - you're so funny Lisa

Penny  bear_tongue

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Not sure... but I always assume... no matter what I'm doing or what I'm writing... that someone else can see/read it.  (comes from being raised by a police officer  :crackup:  )  It's just easier that way... never to worry if someone "will find out" LOL!

I know that at my hubby's work... the owner/boss reads all the emails that everyone gets and sends....

Laura Lynn wrote:

Not sure... but I always assume... no matter what I'm doing or what I'm writing... that someone else can see/read it.  (comes from being raised by a police officer  :crackup:  )  It's just easier that way... never to worry if someone "will find out" LOL!

I know that at my hubby's work... the owner/boss reads all the emails that everyone gets and sends....

WOW FREAKY!!!!  bear_shocked

Dammit, Erin is gonna find out i called her fat  :crackup:

Penny  bear_tongue

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm
Laura Lynn wrote:

Well, either its a very small company or that boss has absolutely nothing valuable to do :doh: , because reading all those emails must take all day. It would at the place I work with 240 people. Thank goodness its forbidden by law anyway (here in Sweden).

whiteforestbears wrote:
gotobedbears wrote:

WOW FREAKY!!!!  bear_shocked

Dammit, Erin is gonna find out i called her fat  :crackup:

Penny  :P

You better watch it or I'm breaking out the crocodile purse! THUNK!  :crackup:

Awww Erin honey..................don't act like a Koala  :crackup:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Acipenser wrote:

Well, either its a very small company or that boss has absolutely nothing valuable to do :doh: , because reading all those emails must take all day.

Yep, it's a VERY small company.... 7 people in the office.   I'm sure he just scans things over real quick to check for possible problems.. (it's a sales rep company)  Something weird been going on with him the last few years...  midlife crisis???  He "appeared" to be having an affair several years ago.  I say "appear" because there was no hard proof... just the way he (and his wife) acted...really strange.  Then he did get divorced and has a girlfriend who used to be his next door neighbor.... so the affair theory is very possible.

Ever since then he's not been like his old self.  Hubby's worked with him for over 20 years... so he knows him pretty well. 

But please do note... I have no IDEA about PM's on ANY board!!!!!    I just wanted to point out a different situation where things are monitored.  Quite frankly... I don't think Intercal would have ANY interest in reading PM's  :crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey you guys

d040.gif

Take a big breath!!!

g010.gif

No!!!  the HA's can't,  don't and don't have time to, read your PMs

a010.gif

[size=20]Sheesh!!![/size] c030.gif

[size=18]We barely have time to read our own![/size] e045.gif

a010.gif   

We aren't the NSA, FBI, CIA, Homeland Security for cryin out loud....have you all lost your proverbial minds?

g045.gif

e020.gif 

On a slightly more serious note, though, you should always remember that everything that is on the great big wide wonderful web is fair game....Not that the Alphabet Soup folks( NSA,FBI,CIA HS, Mossad, MI5 etc) will pay any attention to the Talkers, but it is something to keep in mind

c015.gif

a026.gif   [size=18]Especially if you want to run for office![/size] a026.gif

o010.gif       

Besides, dontcha know by now how loved and respected you sillikins are?

o030.gif

h010.gif

Hope that helps settle the questions

f025.gif

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dilu brings up a very good point.  The web is wiiide open.  Think about it.   bear_whistle

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

No No No Wonky Dilu...................i don't mean that Help Advisors would snoop even if they could, i mean how private is the private message system used here. I am just interested to know who, if anyone has access to them apart from the individual members.
Is there a monitoring system in place?

PenPen  bear_tongue

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I assume that the Help Advisors here are like Moderators on other BBs & they cannot see any PM...welll..ummm guess there is always an exception :crackup:  :crackup: they can see PMs sent to them I hope :crackup:  :crackup: As for the fact that some BBs send you an e-mail  notice you  have a PM. I am pretty sure that is just something set up within the workings of the program...not some real person who sits there & reads them before sending them off to their intended recipient....But I am not an expert on that part...so maybe it's all just a silly assumption on my part...dunno for certain sure...But it seems to me that PMs are Private Messages...hmmmmmm anyone out there who knows for certain sure????

PS. ```blink blink```the lightbulb just came on here.... :crackup: Hey....I am an administrator along with the owner of a local BB & I cannot see anyones PM other than my own...so now that I think about it a little more...I bet ya PMs are totally private!

n025.gif  n025.gif n025.gif   n025.gif
[size=22]AGAIN I SAY WE DON'T AND CAN'T monitor your e-mail or your PMs any more than you can monitor ours.[/size] k035.gif

[size=18]As Far as Intercal goes? [/size]  h040.gif

[size=18]Think about it![/size] d070.gif

n025.gif  n025.gif    g010.gif       [size=18]The guy works 16 hours a day running his business-what does he care what we are saying, doing, writing, pm'ing, instant messaging, telephoning, blackberrying, semiphoring,brailling, moris coding, cartooning, drawing,sewing......[/size] d015.gif  n025.gif  n025.gif  n025.gif

b030.gif
[size=18]have I missed anything?[/size]

g020.gif          [size=18]So gab  away my lovelies!  We love ya, we trust ya, and if you tell the world I am totally wonkers.....wellll.......[/size] c070.gif

k030.gif      [size=18]What can I say?[/size] g055.gif

[size=18]The truth is the truth![/size]

f025.gif      [size=18]Relax your poor brains about us, its BIG BROTHER out there that you need to think about....and somehow I don't think this TeddyClub is going to be on their monitor....[/size]
o010.gif
  k010.gif [size=18]Now if your worried about stuff coming back to haunt you....does the name Paris Hilton come to mind?[/size] c040.gif

[size=26]OK?[/size]  n110.gif

Adkins, Texas

[size=20]  [:hug: :crackup:  :hug:]  [/size][size=8]I thought that was sort of what I said too...but definitely not with your pizazz!!! I love it Dilu!!![/size]
Hugs,

Awww Charlotte.....

g010.gif

Portland, Oregon
Website

Semiphoring??  Oh geez, Dilu.  I've got to go get the dictionary.  Them there $5.00 words get me every time!!
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Portland, Oregon
Website

My dictionary is dated 1978 and semiphoring isn't in it.  Okay, Dilu.  What's semiphoring? 

Aleta

Perhaps I spelled it wrong....

its where the ships talk to each other with Flags.....

Semaphore  any apparatus or signalling using lights flags and. etc......lesser German

Websters New World

And the Rickster just strolled through and said not to forget the Boy Scouts....apparently they get a kick out of being on the flag squad too.....

n060.gif

Adkins, Texas
Portland, Oregon
Website

Well that explains everything!  :doh:  Learn something new every day.  bear_original  bear_original

Aleta

P.S.  Now you know.  I really do read and entire post.  No skimming for me.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

AGAIN I SAY WE DON'T AND CAN'T monitor your e-mail or your PMs any more than you can monitor ours.

I've tried both, PM & Email. Never knew which was more secure.
Why do we have 2 options (as in - If one covers everything, why 2 choices?)

Okaaaaay,

can we just clear this up once and for all please?

QUY - could you let us know if there is any outside access to PM's - either by unknown parties or by members of Intercal/TeddyTalk or you.

That should put this baby to bed.  bear_tongue

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What ya got to hide Penn?  bear_grin

Bobbie asked

Why do we have 2 options (as in - If one covers everything, why 2 choices?

SHEESH!!!  You guys!  Why do I feel like I am leading a girl scout troop all of a sudden? c030.gif

Options?  Well, suppose the person you want to speak with doesn't log on regularly?

I use e-mail for them and PM for the regulars....

That's a good enough reason for me....but if you all feel like there are too many choices we can cut them back, I'm sure.... :crackup:  c045.gif  a090.gif

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all.

The Help Advisors have zero access to the inner workings of the TEDDY TALK site functions or member info.  We "see" what you see, as registered members of the board.  Just like you, we can NOT edit someone else's profile(s) (we can only edit our own), nor can we view your PM's, or ferret out secret statistics about you based on any private registration information.  We are your equals in this.  What you see, we see.

I can't speak for Quy or Kjeld (will point Quy to this thread, Penny, for a direct answer), but my feeling is that EVERY webmaster who runs a forum likely has access to passwords and private message functions. Otherwise, how, when you forget your password, could it be mailed to you?  Obviously, it's stored SOMEWHERE, such that it allows you to LOG ON every day, and the webmaster to resend it to you, if/when you forget it.

However, I really don't know what I'm talking about here.  So I'll leave this answer to Quy.

Someone asked... Why do we have two options:  PM and email?

Actually, in terms of TEDDY TALK FORUM FUNCTIONS, there is only one option:  PM, or Private Messaging.  PM's are a way for TT members to write "notes" to one another.  That feature is attached to this forum.  Everything about the private message function happens INSIDE OF or ATTACHED TO the TEDDY TALK forum; it wouldn't exist without the forum.

The EMAIL function is nothing more than a link to an email account that YOU specified, that YOU have hosted elsewhere... at aol, yahoo, or your private domain/site host.  So it's not really accurate to say that TEDDY TALK "offers" you two private messaging functions.  It offers just one... and a LINK to your email address, which will open in YOUR default email program (such as Outlook, Incredimail, etc.)  Everything about the email function here actually happens OUTSIDE of the TEDDY TALK forum... except for the initial click you make, to get to a user's email address.  Your email address, and any links to it, exist outside of, and unrelated to, this forum. And any email you send, or receive, even after clicking "email" here, is sent and received through YOUR email server, having nothing to do with TEDDY TALK at all.

That's my understanding of all of this, anyway.  I'm pretty sure I have it right.  Quy will confirm or correct when he can.  Busy man, that one!

Hope this helps a bit... will point this thread out to Quy for a definitive answer.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

......and...just take a look at Quy's picture.  He is a nice and very intelligent man, and  even if he did have access to your notes I doubt he would want to read them. bear_thumb

Board footer