Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Most of us go through periods of our life where we live lean & frugal...
we may save money by buying store brand products, fresh veg for
cheap at the farmers market, or score thrift store or ebay bargains
instead of hitting the mall shops & boutiques.

But most folks, I think, have certain things that simply HAVE to be
'the good stuff', or life is just TOO dreary to bother. For some folks
it's shoes, or the really good salon shampoo, or what have you.

Here are mine:

Cotton sheets! I can't abide sleeping on polyester blend stuff. it's
just icky.

I'll buy most everything generic except....toilet paper. It's not worth
getting bum splinters from the cheap stuff.  :redface:

I will always have a bit of money for used books, even if I am
too cheap for a pack of gum.

& of course, we can be eating beans & rice, but the critters must have
their Wellness, Innova, & Chicken Soup brand foods.

So, what are your essential luxuries?  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

-- The occasional pedicure makes EVERYTHING in life go down smoother.

--  Soy lattes only taste good when someone else makes them, no matter how tight the budget.  PLus, who doesn't love a coffee house, for atmosphere... especially the ones with patio seating in the summertime?  I hate paying $3 for a cuppa I could make for fifty cents, but I'm buying ENVIRONMENT, not just BEVERAGE.  And that IS a luxury!

--  Only precious metal jewelry -- silver, gold, platinum -- and natural fiber clothing (cotton, linen, wool) will do.  None of that nickel-plated, silver-tone/gold-tone, rayon/poly stuff for me, thank you -- even when boho chic style.  If I'm going to look like an urban hippie, I want to look and feel like an expensive one. 

Even if, in reality, I buy all my clothes on sale, or at Loehmann's, or TJ Maxx...

:)

--  Shoes of leather (sorry, Nettie) or fabric... and nothing that says "Man Made Upper."  What could be worse than wearing plastic shoes?  Oh, the humid, slippery, dread of it.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hmmm  Interesting topic:

Land End Towels- they're thirsty and last three times as long, so they Are a huge expenditure at one time but last me 5 years...forget Walmart for Towels

100% cotton sateen sheets 250-500 count,  get at close out prices on the web....those with polyester make so much noise at night!  Yuck!

Kleenex with Lotion-  what can I say-  :redface:

But most importantly- even if we are living on beans and rice, which I like a lot- and He loves all the time:

THE GOOD

CHOCOLATE!!!!......DOVE.....LINDT.....RITTER SPORT

.....(now that I have found it again....)

And

shoes

that really fit well-I don't mind paying $200.00 for a pair of Dansk because I know I will be wearing them for years....and since I do clean and polish no one knows the differance. 

Listen up my chickadees....life is easier when you hit 50-you don't have to worry about style fashion or guys!!!!!

Clothing?  cotton...always cotton-simple breatheable cotton-no particular style for me, I simply don't care any more as long as it is comfortable and I'm decent...and since I only buy 3 colors in the spring,

purples

turquoises

and

magenta's

and three in the fall,  same colors with an addition or

gray

and 

whites

and

blacks

everything kind of overlaps year in and year out.....

It's on sale, good quality and the right color- something will go with it....no fuss and bother.

Too many other interesting things to get into to spend time with fuss and bother!

d

i

l

u

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Shelli- I'm so glad you said lattes! Magazine and newspaper columns always recommend giving those up to save money, but we baristas have to make a living too! bear_grin  I love my regulars and try to have their drink started when I see them walking up to the shop- I figure I'm like a non-alcoholic bartender.
   My big luxury is a facial every once in a while- I find them more relaxing than anything else I can buy.
    Suzanne

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Good coffee - Gevalia Peruvian Organic.  I am very picky about my coffee.

We have become very choosy with our food.  I don't think this is necessarily a luxury as much as a health choice.  We read labels.  No partially hydrogenated oils, no artificial sweetners, as much organic as possible.  No lunch meat, hot dogs etc. with nitrates.  You get the picture.

We take a lot of vitamins and supplements and we do not buy them from Wal Mart.  I don't want fillers in my vitamin C.

Shoes - leather only.  This is a luxury that has been forced on me.  I had a run in with a draft horse a few years ago, and my right foot has never quite been the same.  So I have found that leather is the only thing to buy.  It will conform to the foot and keep me from having a hurting, swollen foot.  And if my feet hurt, I hurt all over.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ooooh Nina- feet - me too!!!   I suffer from swollen hands and feet, especially in the warm weather we are experiencing at the moment - my hands are ok as long as I keep my rings off, but my feet, swell up in everything I wear.   Soooo uncomfortable, but I can't wear flip flops to work!!   I have to wear good quality shoes, would love to wear fashionable non sensible ones, but no, can't unfortunately, not even for 5 mins!!   bear_sad

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Kim, I'm with you on the good quality t.p. - no splinters thanks!

Tim Hortons cafe mocha and my wonderful cleaning lady are two things I must have - however neither are particularly expensive.

The dogs all get good quality food, with a topper of ground beef, and the horse gets the best hay I can buy.

Jane P.

sarahjane Brisbane

Definitely the good quality toilet paper (even though the kids use it like wrapping paper )  :redface:

And I can't do without my Australian Bear Creations Magazine...as long as I have these I am happy!!!

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I'm with yas on the natural fibers stuff! Between art mess & animals, most of
my clothes are cheapie Old Navy sort of stuff because it'll just get wrecked -
but it is, at least, all cotton.

Dilu's Land's End towels remind me that at least one chamois shirt from L.L. Bean is
essential...& mmmm....big floppy old-man style cardigan  bear_grin

Shelli your jewelry rule applies to makin stuff, too, for me! I don't wear much very
often but when I do, I like it to be made out of....something....that I could name.
Fortunately I love lampwork beads far more than any gemstones!

Lattes sorts of goodies are a marvelous treat! I usually like cold ice-creamy sorts
of things instead - Baskin Robbins Frappuccino Blast thingies being the most likely
goodie, which is fortunately NOT in a convenient direction. Or at home, Thai iced
coffee or tea with a scoop of ice cream in...yummm!

millie I've found that eating real food-made-out-of-food (as opposed to junk) tends
to be more cost effective anyhow, esp. if you've got freezer space. it's more a time
investment, at least that's what we've found. But I do a lot of crock pot stuff anyhow,
so even then it's not too bad (I like eating decent stuff most of the time - this has given
my mother the impression that it's COOKING that I enjoy, which is not in fact the case!)

Andy demands good coffee - I don't drink hot stuff unless I am hypothermic, but he
grinds his beans at home & such. He is also a microbrew beers sort of guy. Me I just
think the labels are pretty  bear_grin

I admit I have not got a sophisticated chocolate palate. Those waxy cheap easter & halloween
chocolates wrapped in colorful foil? With crisp rice in em? I'm not to proud to eat those. lol
which is not to say I'd turn down Godiva or See's or Cadbury!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Comfy shoes...and like Dilu I'm willing to spend a few bucks because I know I will wear them for a very very long time.  I LOVE SHOES anyway so any excuse for a new pair :)

Right now...Quality time with my kids feels like a luxary because they are all turning into young adults and I feel as though I rarely see them anymore except in a big rush.

A good haircut...my hair is fairly thick but very fine and stick straight...so I need a good cut or it looks funny.

And...as Shelli said natural fiber clothing...comfy clothes!!!!

Moisturizer...I prefer Cetaphil for all over everyday...but I love smelly stuff too!!!

My idea of luxary has drastically changed over the last 5 years.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Here's a weird one....  My husband does most all of the shopping... groceries, most of my clothes even!  I am practically a hermit... a happy one though!  My only real splurge lately has been the Mrs. Meyer's line of home cleaning products!  I really don't like cleaning at all, and just avoid it like the plague, and ordinarily, I just use either Clorox and water or Murphy's Oil Soap and water... totally basic stuff... but these cleaning products are beautifully packaged (sort of a neat vintage kinda look) are cruelty free, biodegradable, not tested on animals etc.... And there are three scents to choose from.  I am using the Lemon Verbena... and it is just glorious!  The bottles are pretty enough to leave on the counter and they smell so good that I actually look forwrd to wiping stuff down and doing the dishes!  They are at least twice as expensive as the regular old 409 or Windex..... So to me that does really count as a splurge!  Goofy, I know!   bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Here's a link....

http://www.mrsmeyers.com/

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

nettie scotland
Website

Its funny you should mention me in the shoe area Shelli.Shoes are my thing.I cannot wear cheapo's.I don't buy leather but I buy canvas converse (cheap copies not for me) .My latest pair are pink florals ,I have multi coloured velvet doc martins only ever sold in Ireland (I have had people offer me money in the street for them) and hand embroidered black velvet floral kitten heels.I love beautiful shoes and get excited when I find non cow ones.Mostly I am in wellingtons for outdoors or my rather expensive silent night blue velvet slippers.
I don't like cheap food either.Stores own cereal and crisps etc are foul.I think you get what you pay for.I buy organic veg if I don't have it in the garden,environmentally friendly cleaning stuff wich is way dearer and the soft recycled loo roll.
I do rather well for a non wealthy type when I think about it.
Coats too.I only buy one every ten years or so and like a really good one.I prefer an old worn expensive coat that a brand new cheap one.
What a snob I sound!!!
Diane xxx

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I love a freshly made bed..and washing nicely ironed...I like fresh flowers in the house..and I go to the end of the earth to get home grown fruit and veg and organic meat...proper bread..and cheese..and free-range eggs...I hate super-markets

I waste most of my spare cash on expensive make-up...and plants for the garden..

But I am not high maintainance...I have simple tastes...any diamond'll do....

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I only use Scott's TP... no fluffy stuff that leaves lint behind! LOL... all that fluff isn't good for the system anyway.... 

Good hair care - sorry, no Suave for me LOL

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Godiva chocolate... kind of pricy so I don't eat much of it. 

I am not a coffee or tea drinker, my body doesn't like caffine! I drink TONS of milk, probably a gallon and a half to two myself in a week!

I have to have high thread count sheets, no cheapos for me!  I hate sheets that pill and that are rough!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Okay, I'll admit this...I just  bought Charmen TP because of the two bears on the package  bear_whistle ...other wise I normally buy Scott.  It lasts the longest.  I hate spending money on someting you flush down the toliet.

I cannot live without tea.  I was born British so tea is in my blood.  Can't function with out at least 6 cups a day!  Minimum :dance:

Gotta dance and have the right shoes.  My Ballroom shoes, and hubby's are over $100 a pair but are made to Ballroom dance ...you can actually "feel" the floor.

Clothes , clothes, and more clothes...especially denim skirts and T-tops( I'm 41 and like to dress like I'm 20 bear_whistle )....but I think I spend the most money on my kids.....clothes and toys.  I love to buy my children toys and watch thier little  faces light up.   bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
kbonsall wrote:

I drink TONS of milk, probably a gallon and a half to two myself in a week!

AHHHH Bless you Kimmy...a girl after my own heart.  Our cows thank you. :hug:  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I love dairy, if there is one thing I can't live without it is dairy!!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

FARM-picK2-1.JPGThis is for you Kimmy from one of our girls.... bear_wub

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

ESSENTIALS? Well the list goes on ...

For me it's yellow gold or nothing in jewellery...I have allergic reactions to anything with nickle in it...very convenient hey?

Good toilet paper, bears, ironed bed linen, bears, comfortable leather shoes, bears, fresh flowers (prefer gerberas or daffodills generally, but roses on special occasions), bears, Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate, bears, hair cut and coloured every six weeks, bears but above all else
MY LOVING HUSBAND.

Mushy? Yeah, I know, but he's my mate.

Big Hugs to everyone,
Sandi

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Isn't it funny what we consider essentials? This is a fun thread. Let's see...I think mine has to be good food. I cook most of our food, but eating out is a splurge for us. And it has to be a place with good food. I just can't abide greasy, oily food or overcooked veggies, or things covered in cheese. We try to eat healthfully most of the time with an occasional special ice cream treat or something similar.

And when I get my hair cut, it has to be good. I tend to bounce around with the hairdressers, though (we have moved to two different states in the last five years, so I think that's why!). But simple hair is best. And I like it short.

I guess I don't really splurge on much and am basically pretty happy with simple things. But Teddy Talk is something I love--does that count? bear_laugh

Debora

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sandi, what a sweetheart you are.  And I laughed when I read "bears' inbetween your other essentials bear_laugh  bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

MWWAHHH - big mooie (cow) kisses!!!!  bear_original   She is adorable, Judi!! I love that pic!!!

I can't wear anything but gold either!!! I get itchy and a rash from cheap jewelry (even sterling silver!)

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
New Avenue Crew wrote:

Teddy Talk is something I love--does that count? bear_laugh

Debora

Heck yeah it does!!!  You're the first to mention TT...I can't believe we all missed it. 

Yes, TT is an essential for me too.  How else would I stay connected to some of the nicest people on the internet...WORLD WIDE :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :hug:  :hug:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Hear! Hear!  bear_thumb I'm with you, Judi!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
kbonsall wrote:

I can't wear anything but gold either!!! I get itchy and a rash from cheap jewelry (even sterling silver!)

You guys must have royal blood.  Me here... I wear a wooden bear paw on a cheap cord around my neck that I bought in Sedona AZ when I went to visit my sis last year.  I have nicer (ie gold) jewelry but I alwys seem to have this one around my neck...I even shower with it on.

Board footer