Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

TTers, what are your peculiar comfort foods? Not the ordinary ice cream or mac 'n' cheese,
but the really weird stuff? My dad eats peanut butter & pickle sandwiches. I love him anyway!

Mine:
creamed salmon with peas. I'd surely think this was putrid if I hadn't grown up eating it  bear_grin
canned brown bread, toasted, with cream cheese. I can hear you non-New England people gagging  :crackup:
but yes, canned bread can be a very fine thing!
peanut butter & bacon sandwich - on toast, of course. Andy introduced me to this. it is way better than it should be.
Cupcakes baked in little flat-bottomed kiddie ice cream cones are awesome.
When I was little I used to eat powdered iced tea mix by the spoonful out of the canister.

So what have you got?  bear_smile

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Oh goodness....I am boring I am afraid.....I am a chocolate person....and that's what I'd eat for comfort...

I craved salmon sandwiches when I was pregnant ..and lemon ice lollies....so that makes me boring. I am a very plain eater...and not adventurous at all..I only eat curry to be sociable..not coz I really like it. Give me good old roast beef and yorkshire pudding any day over fancy stuff.

nettie scotland
Website

Tofu makes me very happy!!I love it marinated in ginger and soy sauce.I always make a huge plate of brown rice tofu and pepprs if I am down.
I also love pickled chillies .Once you have burned your face off troubles melt away.
Diane xxx

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

My number one comfort food is a soft boiled egg in a little wooden egg cup - my Mom always used to make me soft boiled eggs when I was recouperating after being sick and I guess it brings back lots of memories and makes me feel safe and special!
Popcorn - if I am home by myself at night (which always makes me nervous!) I make a huge bowl of popcorn and eat it while watching TV or reading - usually in bed!
Chocolate - especially Lindt truffles but I don't often have them on hand as any time I do I eat them all  bear_grin

Bear hugs, Edie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

All things my mum used to make, that I don't get anymore.  Bread pudding - I'm still looking for a receipe.  At Christmas time, I stumpled across a receipe for Treacle Pudding, made in the microwave (instead of having to steam it) and it's delicious.  I hadn't had one in yeeeeeearrrs.  I phoned my sister and told her what I was eating and I could almost hear her crying LOL.  Another thing I've started doing again in having fried bread with eggs (just once in a while).  Reminds me of the cold winter weekend days, when I was a child.  Oh, and don't forget Shepherd's pie - the homemade kind - that I can make.

hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

my hubbys favorite is Japanese Rice, (which we have to go to California for, so we buy 100 lbs at a time,) with butter and hot sauce

YYYUUUCK

But mine isn't much better: e010.gif

I have adapted the famous Chex Mix recipie so that it has 1/3rd the fat and salt and make it in huge HUGE batches that last 2 months at a time.

CRUNCH is important

for decent food, creamed tuna on toast-not unlike Kim-with peas and green onions and just a hint of garlic.  It is something I can keep down no matter how sick....except of course if the sickness were food poisoning, p050.gif

And of cource Crystal Lite Peach Tea with Peach Schnapps  a035.gif

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Goodness I'm a total bore...

My comfort foods are plain ordinary things....

Vanilla Bean Icecream (sorry had to list it)
Mash Potatoes...until they are creamy and fluffy...love love love them
HOMEMADE chicken or turkey noodle soup...actually just about any kind of homemade soup...nothing in a can...ICK!!!
Homemade fresh baked...cookies or bread....right out of the oven!!!

Canned Bread...I've seen it and always thought GROSS!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ohhhhhhh  toasted with real butter?  yummy....its like warm mollasses cookies....slightly chewy....yum,yumyum......

I just added it to the shopping list.....now I am going to crave it.....

its going to be a long week......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Gollies Rule.....naughty Gollies have more fun!

This is the day the Lord has made....let us rejoice and be glad!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Densteds Densteds
Website

All things my mum used to make, that I don't get anymore.  Bread pudding - I'm still looking for a receipe.

Brenda...we have this pudding in Australia..don't know if it's what you're looking for it's called bread & butter pudding. there's a link below for the recipe..
Shepherd pie's one of my favourites...also rice pudding & lemon meringue pie yummo!!!!

http://homecooking.about.com/library/ar … ldes46.htm

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Canned Bread?
I would think like Denise it is simialr to bread and butter pudding.
Hmm comfort foods.....
Milo
peanut butter and honey sandwiches
baked rice pudding.

Haven't had most of these for months due to my eating habits change but mansometimes I crave them.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Renae and Denise,
     I'm not sure how my mum made her bread pudding - all I remember is she saved up stale bread until she had enough to make it and it had raisins in it.  She cooked it in a glass pie dish and it was fabulous when it was cold.  I'm going to take a look at the link you attached, Denise.   Man, I can taste it now *sigh*!

hugs,

Brenda

P.S.  Renae, I like fried bread with fried eggs and bacon.   Yummy, but not great for our health, I'm sure LOL!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

"Odd" comfort foods for me include:

--  Wheat Thins with shredded cheese and garlic salt, microwaved for 30 seconds.  Yummy, and hits the spot!

--  Spaghetti-O's with Sliced Franks (What can I tell ya?  I'm a kid at heart.  You said COMFORT, not HEALTH, food.  Right?)

--  Diet Mug Root Beer poured over ice, with a splash of Half and Half

--  Mint Chip Ice Cream.  But then, that's not very odd.

bear_original

Densteds Densteds
Website

Brenda...that's the one, you use stale bread & sultanas or raisins, milk & eggs...it's a real oldie! my mum used to make it too!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ewww, canned bread? I once saw a whole canned chicken....................YUCK!

I love all kinds of peanut butter sandwhiches. Bp and onion, Bp and pickle, banana, you name it.  yummy!!

Diane, you are soo healthy! Brown rice and tofu as comfort, ahh, i wish I were you.............lol

My wierd comfort is a hungarian dish. It's basically fried bread dough. Rub it with garlic and all my troubles melt away. No wait, it's just melting into fat! Ooops! LOL

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I love to make up mashed potatoes with garlic. Mmm... And I'm with Diane on the brown rice thing...really like it with some stir-fried veggies on top. I also make a chicken noodle soup--sans chicken--that really hits the spot on the comfort meter. One more thing: chocolate chip cookies. There are some excellent ones at Wild Oats that don't have dairy or egg in them--they're delish! But I like mine best; they're a healthy version of a cookie my cousin made when she worked at a Christian camp. They're called Ranger Dans, and they have oats and chocolate chips. I just took out the fat from the recipe and I use an egg replacer instead of eggs. OK, now I'm craving them. I shouldn't have read a thread on food so close to my lunch time!  bear_laugh

Debora

Board footer