Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

My bear making is at the point now where I am starting to think about making bears for sale.  What kind of inventory should I create before I jump in?  I guess one is enough if it never sells or sells slowly - on the other hand variety and having something many places is good.  Also if my bear sells I would want to follow up with another quickly so as to keep my bears out there.  How many bears do you usually bring to a show?   I don't make them as fast as I would like to since I have a full time job which can be quite demanding at times. 

I know I'm just sort of babbling but I really do need some advice.  I hate to make a false start and a major mistake right out of the gate.

How did you folks start out?

Sandi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sandi, my first show was in the fall of 1997 and I've been doing a few every year since then.  My goal is to take 20 bears/friends to each show, but sometimes I fall short of that.  15 has been the least I've ever taken.  It depends, too, on how many days the show will run . . . 1, 2, 3 days?  I never sell that many at a show, but having a nice variety of creations appeals to collectors, in my opinion.  I also sell on my website.  I try to have only what is available for sale in my inventory up on the site and if something has sold, it will say so on the individual bear's page.  Hope this helps!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Buy your supplies in bulk and full yards.....cheaper and gives you a larger profit margin.  Don't expect a profit right away.  It takes time to develop a name and reputation.  The ladies who are getting the big bucks have been at it a long time, they have a reputation and that has to be earneds with a good product.

When I sold my first golly I said to my husband: " Look a profit" and he gently laughed and said "Yeah and it only took you $5000 to get there! " :lol::lol::lol:

What do you do Sandi?  you have a demanding full time job?  Boy girl. you got gumption!  Starting a new business as well as working full time!  Good for you.  Whoooo hoooo we will cheer you on like you wont believe!

Don't get discouraged.  It is easy to do but it will kill your business quicker than you can say Jack.  When you start to feel down come here and talk to everyone. 

I didn't do some things that I wished I had.....mainly because I didn't know I was going to sell  (oops)

So if you think you are going to sell, be thinking ahead of time about your business cards, your name, your web site, the look you want to have and the demographics you want to market to.  Mine is easy, I make bears for me, and friends now and I make Gollys AND HAVE TO LET THEM GO!  I already know that there are bear artists out there with superior products!  However, gollies are another whole topic. 

It is hard.....

Def. get yourself some web making software and get that up and running.  It can be super simple to start out but at least you'll be out there.  And then you can link to allot of us here, and that will help you get traffic.  Super important!  If you are afraid of making your own website- get over it!  Do it anyway!  (are you listening Marie)  because you are going to go through a lot of changes-while getting up and going and a year from now what you think you want on your site will be different.  Also if you do it yourself you control your site.  You aren't at someone elses whims or time frame.

There is a lot of software out there.....I don't remember what Sue Ann told us she used but I wish I had known before I got the one I got. 

Also something we do here is ask opinions....even some of the gals who have a big name ask opinions....is this better than that....kind of thing.

And Sandi, don't be afraid of us.  I have only seen a harsh word once here, and that person is not on anymore.  Everyone else will tell you whats good or not so good but they do it so gently and with compassion and care that it's OK.....and we all need honest feedback.

And you have here some of the foremost names in the bear community.  They wont tell you that but I will.  Get your magazines out and keep them by the computer, I did and I started recognizing names.  These are ladies who have been through the trenches, and can teach us alit.

And they do- they do not hold back on the help they can offer us.

The other thing I didn't do and so was caught off guard is be thinking about how you want your bears to present.

Luxemburg bears sends her bears out with some special little touches, and I am sure others do too.  I didn't even have boxes or peanuts or tissue.  My first golly went out in a ziplock bag, blown up to give her some protection and then was wrapped in paper towels!  Great presentation huh?!  Fortunately I have some very understanding first clients.  But you have a heads up and can get that going now.

And I can get caught up!

Glad you are here.....yayyyyyy an new artist about to hit the runway!  Good for you Sandi....lets see some of your little guys

Oh yeah....we are all very greedy here....we always want more pictures~!

Gollygoodhuggies to you :P
Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Sandi !
I am not in real bear business yet so I can't give you
any comment but as Sue Ann and Dilu, there is many artist in here can give you good advise. :cool:

You may want to check up previous post ,
the post  about website, taking good photo, what to bring to the show etc.  Everting is here ;)

By the way, I loooooove to see your bear.
If you are ready to take a photo,  please
post at here !

Hugs/Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I take 20-25 bears to a show usually. My first couple of shows were discouraging. Then I learned to be very picky about the shows I did. (I'm happy to share some insight on shows in our area with you - most are great!) It also just took a bit for people to become familiar with my work. There are collectors out there who follow certain artists. Most aren't totally stuck on one artist but it can take some time to win them over. "Customer Service" is so important. Just smiling and being friendly, chatting easy with them can mean future sales. They'll look for you at other shows, remembering what a joy you were to talk bears with.

I held back on consigning my bears at shops for a long time because you really don't make much of a profit once the shop takes their commission. It is, however, a great way to get your bears out there and in front of collectors.

I highly recommend a website.

Dilu made some good points about how you want to present your bears. Also your overall business. Fun, sophisticated, cutesy....... and design a logo and business image that will 'stick' in collector's minds. (Here I'm giving advice that I have yet to follow, but it sounds good, doesn't it????):lol:

I think that your show display is important. Unique, easy to browse, inviting.... there are other topics posted here on that.

I'm rambling. What was your question??? :lol::lol::lol:

There are so many here to give advice - you'll be confident by the time we've all give you food for thought!
Food... hmm... I think I'll have a bedtime snack and go to sleep.....

Hugs,
Daphne

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Thanks Daph...you made me smile with your 'ramblings'.;):D...I love it when people write exactly how they would say it.:P

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, you are a smart and funny girl.  Come visit me sometime!  You can bring your dog.

PS  Right now it's 105 degrees.  Is that offputting?

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks every one.  You guys are the greatest. I love the way you share.

My full time job is as a controller for a Mechanical Contractor.  It gets pretty busy for me at year end, Financial Statement time, etc.   My bears keep me sane and balanced.

Until now I have been concentrating on developing my bear making skills and trying to create a great bear.  I'm now at the point where I need to think about all the other things that go into making a successful business.  I have been working on designing a logo, business cards, hang tags and packaging.  Websites - that is kinda scary but I know I will need one. 
I plan to join VT Hand Crafters and ask a local shop if I can display a bear on consignment.

Photography - as you can see by my avatar - I need some work in that area.  I read and reread Shelli's article.  I built a light tent - well just the frame - I need to add the fabric and the lights - small details like that will kill you.  I'll post more pictures when I get these details worked out.

I need to build an inventory.  That will take some time and that is always in short supply. 

Sandi

"I'm burning my candle at both ends.  It will not last the night but while it does it gives a glorious light."

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Sandi, thanks for the vote of confidence!  Your photography isn't bad, actually, and your bear is completely darling -- so that's a great foundation for the rest!  It looks like there's a dark shadow being cast at about the 11 o'clock position; is your light source front right, from the top, as we look at the photo?

The light tent is not my invention so I have no problem recommending it heartily.  It will help you bounce light aroudn beautifully in ways you can't imagine until you get there.  It practically takes gorgeous pictures FOR you.  I'm deadly serious.  Do be sure to use LOTS of light, from at least three sides.  As I've mentioned before, I use 14 fluourescent tube lights, plus a shop light and a halogen flashlight for spotlighting/highlighting.  These simple tricks, once assembled and plugged in (I have twenty million cords snaking out of my photo closet) will do amazing things for your pictures.

As for inventory... I had my first show in April and barely managed to get 6 or so bears made for it.  I work incredibly slowly, even doing so full time.  Go easy on yourself or you'll burn out.  I've had some issues with overextending myself this first year in business and am chalking it up to the learning curve.  You'll get there.  We'll hold your hand.

I'd love to make an avatar for you if you have a business name.  That bear in your picture is really quite sweet adn inspiring!  Let me know!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Shelli
I plan to call my business - Snowy Day Bears    I thought I would use a picture of one of my bears wearing a scarf as a logo.  I'm going to finish the light tent this weekend and take a picture like that.   (You are right about the position of the light source in that picture.) I would love it if you would make an avatar for me.

Thanks,
Sandi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli - Let me know when it's about 65-70 w/no humidity and I'll be there!!!:lol:

Australia

My light tent idea had to be shelved.....we just don't seem to have the PVC pipe stuff here in Oz that you have at home depot. The closest I can find is electrical conduit...but it's way too heavy and doesn't come with the three corner connectors. It would help if I knew exactly what the PVC piping is used for. Anyone? It would cost me a small fortune to have it posted over from USA...and as soon as it arrived I'd find it in the local shop.:/
The only place I've seen it is in the kits for play tents for kiddies...but that's an expensive way to buy it too.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

PVC pipe is used mostly for sprinkler systems.  They go right into the ground!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

My sons a plummer ...he uses it all the time, its cheap stuff really..so try plumming suppliers....Winney

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

I worked on my light tent this weekend and took some pictures of my Joey Bear.  I think this picture came out better than the last one but still needs some work.  I'm sure for starters I need more light.  The pictures seem to come out a bit fuzzy.  I'm not sure why.  I don't know if that is a light issue as well or if I'm moving the camera. 

Sandi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

USE A TRIPOD!  I always use a tripod, or my pictures are shaky, too.  Even WITH a tripod, if I jiggle the slightest bit as I depress the "shoot" button, I can get a bit of blur.  You can get one that's very acceptable for under $20; some even work as "destop" models, with very short legs, if you have a place to shoot froml

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Great little Joey Bear, Sandi!!

Sandi....your bear is really cute....I am glad you are forging ahead.

I never fail to be humbled here by the gals who are so willing to give of themselves.

This is truly a great group.

I've been in a million orchestras...the only other group thing I was ever any good at....and that is a cut throat back stabbing sabotoging business.  hmmmmm

How could anyone be mean when we are dealing with bears who dont tell and gollies who tell everyone everything! ;)

I ordered free boxes from the USPS- if you use USPS for mailing and are mailing over seas and decide to print up your forms on the internet be forewarned- for some reason I can not fathom, the mailing costs are always about 2 dollars less than the web site says.

I do not understand it, but I tell anyone overseas about 2$  less than the web site says...I haven't gotton to the point of havong shipping and handeling- but that would make it easeir- the only way I know how to do it is box up the item and put it on my little digital scale....and go by that weight.

By the time I get it all figured out no one will want gollies anymore!

(joke)

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome, Sandi :D

Your little bear is darling--I love the name Snowy Day Bears.

Like you, I'm just starting to build an inventory, look for website help and design logos.

I highly recommend Nancy Tillberg's online course, "The Business of Bears". It really helps you to get you head in the right place for going professional, and she thinks of everything. I've just recently started the course, and I'm about a week behind, but I'm back at it tomorrow morning with a will.

By the way, does anybody have any wisdom to share about web hosting? Nancy will offer it this fall, but what are the options?

Eileen

See if you can find Laures post on her problems with computers-

Go with a hosting company that will let you accsess any time as much as you want....

I would go with one that actually answers the phone and calls back

I was thinking about changing my host and tried calling, left a message no call back

Was on hold with another for ev er 20 min when I asked if this was normal they said no highly unusual

so I called back the next day- again on hold for over 20 min. 

Did n't switch to either of them.

Some who support e-commerace are pretty expensive and if you are just starting out that really eats in to the budget.

Also find out who some of the real sellers are using.....

Dilu

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks for the compliments Ladies

Shelli - thanks for the tip on the tripod.  I'm going to look into get the table top model.  I've got to get this picture taking thing figured out before I go on to the next step.

I just registered for Nancy's Extreme Sculpting Class.   I would love to hear some feedback on the "Business of Bears" class.  I think I will take that as soon as I can fit it in.  This website thing is kinda scary.  Does Nancy cover that in the business class? 

Eileen - I don't think I have ever seen a picture of your bears.  I would really like to see them.
I called myself Snowy Day Bears since I mostly make bears in the winter.  Summer time is filled with gardening and outside activities.  I spent this Saturday helping a friend with her miniature donkeys.  She is teaching them to pull a cart.  For many years I belonged to a riding stable so I have some experience driving a pony cart.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

AAAARRGGHHH, I LOVE horses, too!!  I've seen many miniature horses, but no donkeys!!  I bet they are adorable.  I just love finding out more about all of you bear artists . . . what you love besides bear making!

Australia

Miniature donkeys Sandi?? Oh you HAVE to post some pictures...I can't think of anything more adorable!!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Me neither!!!!  Miniature Donkeys!!!!!  Ohhhh geee...they would eat the grass good LOL

JUst want to say what an adorable bear you have made Sandi - what a cutie!!

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Actually, I saw a special on TV last week -- ayup, Animal Planet; I'm seven years old and that IS my idea of quality television programming -- and someone had trained a miniature horse to be a service animal for a nearly blind man.  Just about blew my mind.  I had no idea they were that intelligent; horses I mean.  Big OR small.

The world fascinates me.

Board footer