Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

This discussion started in the Bears & Friends forum in the topic called "alpaca girlie by wee scone." We were talking about fur made from wool, and I had used some way back in 1999 on my bear Liam. My bears have changed a lot since then! Here's Liam and Trua:

liamntruafaces.jpg

And here's a full-body shot of the two of them so Liam's fur is more visible:

liamntrua2.jpg

Liam, on the left, has wool fur in a nice brown shade (I think it's distressed or swirly), and Trua is made with blond mohair. The wool was easy to work with like mohair or alpaca, and Lisa mentioned that it would be a good fur for old-fashioned, distressed teds. I haven't distressed this fur, but perhaps someone has and can tell how it went.

I think that I got the wool fur from Edinburgh Imports. I don't know of other carriers because I haven't gone looking for it!  bear_smile

Debora

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Debora,
Liam and Trua are so adorable.  bear_wub  thanks for posting your photo.
I always wondered about wool fur but never tried before.
The wool far on Liam looks very soft and I love the dark brown color.
I can't tell if the far is wool or mohair....  bear_smile   

Hugs/Marie

Website

Hi, Marie. Thanks for your kind words! These are bears I made such a long time ago. bear_original The yellow bear on the right is made with swirly distressed mohair. I still see him every few weeks, too, because he lives with my cousin's daughter.

The wool fur is soft, but not quite as soft as alpaca. It's just a different texture. I only have a small scrap of it left, too small to make a full bear. Maybe I can get creative with it!

Bear hugs,
Debora

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for that Debora,
I have often wondered about the wool fur, but haven't used yet. Like you, I have only seen it at Edinburgh.
Thinking it would make a lovely cuddly bear though.
:hug:  :hug:
Sandi
P.S. Your yellow bear comes up pink on my screen...is it my screen or your photo?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I've used the wool fur in the past - so long ago I can't even remember which bear - lol - but I really liked it too. I've still got lots of it but don't even know what colors either - maybe I'll have to dig it out and make some bigger bears again for a change! I got mine from Edinburgh too - I seem to remember it being a discount item and therefore much cheaper than mohair. I didn't try distressing it but that would be fun to do for sure.
Bear hugs, Edie

Website

Sandi said: P.S. Your yellow bear comes up pink on my screen...is it my screen or your photo?

Ha-ha!  bear_laugh Well, he is yellow, but I think it could also be the strange lighting in the photo combined with having to scan it in on a not-so-great scanner.

Edie said: I've used the wool fur in the past - so long ago I can't even remember which bear - lol - but I really liked it too. I've still got lots of it but don't even know what colors either - maybe I'll have to dig it out and make some bigger bears again for a change! I got mine from Edinburgh too - I seem to remember it being a discount item and therefore much cheaper than mohair. I didn't try distressing it but that would be fun to do for sure.

Oh, Edie! If you do make a bigger wool bear and distress him, you must show us!  bear_original The wool fur doesn't look much less expensive than mohair now, but it probably goes on special periodically. Now I'm wishing I had more of it to experiment on!

Hugs,
Debora

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I used wool fur about 11 years ago. It was lovely and soft but I could no longer buy it. I purchased from a supplier in Australia called Bartfields. They were always very reasonably priced but a little limited in their range. Im not sure if they are still trading.
Susan

Dilu Posts: 8,574

g010.gif                 

Deb, what wonderful bears....and such a nice job.

Did you enjoy working with the wool fur and  how did it compare with mohair or alpaca?

hugs

dilu

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wool-Snowbear-sized.JPGWool-bear1sized.JPGI tracked down photos of a couple of the wool fur bears that I made years ago - didn't have digital photos back then and my scanner is on the fritz so I had to resort to taking digital shots of the photos so they aren't the best but I'll put them on anyway. The gold one, "Higgins", is about 15" and "Frosty, the Snowbear" is 81/2".

I found the wool fur very easy to work with - much like mohair and a lot easier than the alpaca as it is so thick - the backing on the wool was the same as mohair and the pile thickness about the same too.

Bear hugs, Edie

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh, it's very nice!!  bear_wub   bear_wub  I never knew about wool fur , can you still buy it Edie? I would love to try it.  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I have no idea if you can still buy it or not, Sheri - check with Edinbourgh and see if they still carry it - I don't have a recent catalogue.
Bear hugs, Edie

Website

Hi, everyone!

Thanks, Dilu! My bears who are pictured are such oldies, but they are loved by loved ones of mine.  bear_original  I remember that working with the wool fur was very easy, like working with mohair.

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your wool fur bears, Edie! I remember Frosty!  bear_smile And thanks for sharing how the fur was to work with.

Susan and Shari, I know that Edinburgh carries wool fur. Go to this page: http://www.edinburghimports.com/shopping/FabricList.asp. Scroll down until you see the heading that says Wool. There are links to 10 different qualities there. I believe that I used quality WW98 on Liam; it's a 9/16" regular swirly wool pile.

If anyone orders some wool fur and makes a bear from it, please let us see it!  bear_flower

Bear hugs,
Debora

Edie,

how lovely , I love especially your snowbear....how cute!

Thank you both for the info on the wool fur.  Very interesting and something to be tried....

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

You learn something everyday. I really like the look of this wool fur. I checked out the link. Thankyou for the info.
Wendy bear_thumb

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Debora & Edie.... Oh, thanks for showing us such LOVELY bears!  Fabulous fabric! 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

To you ladies who used wool fur:

question:  did you do anything to pre-treat your fur prior to construction your bears?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I didn't, Dilu - it is very similar to using mohair, same backing even, just the "fur" part has a different feel - not as silky as mohair. It's not like you are using a real sheepskin with the leather attached or anything!  bear_grin
Bear hugs, Edie
P.S. thanks Dilu and Kim for the nice comments on my bears!

Website

Kim, thank you for your kind words about my bears.  bear_original

Edie's right; the backing on the wool fur is just like that on mohair or alpaca, and it was very easy to work with. Now that I've been working with some old upholstery mohair, I REALLY appreciate the nice backing on today's furs.  bear_thumb

Debora

So we could easily rinse it in hair conditioner prior to use....like I do my mohair....

thanks ladies

di

Board footer