Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi girls,

for a change here in the UK we have had some gorgeous weather for a few weeks now and all the heat and sunshine has brought out all the bugs and creepy crawlies!

My life revolves around checking all the rooms for S.P.I.D.E.R.S. especially the bedroom (shudder to think of me sleeping with me gob open all night arrrggghhhhh)...................we have moths, earwigs, woodlice, daddy long legs, fly's (the Damn Fly's Carruthers!) and just about every bug under the sun setting up camp in the house.

Now, we're pretty lucky here in the UK cos we don't get the real BIG bugs here as we don't generally have the heat for them, but HOW do you you girls manage in your hot climates overseas? Do you have body armour? Do you get a patrol to check the house for nasties? HOW DO YOU COPE WITH THE LITTLE BEASTS???

I have a large collection of yoghurt pots ready to pop over any offending S.P.I.D.E.R.S. to make sure they don't go play hidey seek before Terry gets home and liberates them. I never kill S.P.I.D.E.R.S or any bug unless it's by accident - ugh just the thought of squishing a S.P.I.D.E.R makes me heave!
bear_sad  bear_shocked  bear_wacko

Tell me about YOUR BIG BUGS! Make me feel better about my little ones please

Penny  bear_tongue

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh boy Pen, you said the S word. UUGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
I hate the little horrors, sometimes not so little. Yesterday there was a big beetle like critter in my bathroom...guess who left sharpish...yep me. I had to get my son to relocate the grotty little, I mean, big horrible beastie.  bear_cry

Shuddddder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Hugs Jane.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

aaaaa.jpegMy big bug is outside sanding down the woodwork so he can paint it. His latin name is Arachnidotherhalfous, his common name is Mark. He tends to come out when its hot and camaflagoues himself by going a dark brown colour. I've tried fly sprays and pesticides to get rid of him but they don't seem to work. I'm off to town soon to see if I can get a giant yogurt pot to scrape him up and put him in the garden! Here he is on the computer.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Pen, could you send us some of your sunshine pleeeeaaaaassse???! We're cold here in Macclesfield, and dodging the rain. We have had about 10 days fine weather this year so far  bear_cry

On the up-side....no bugs!!!!!  bear_laugh

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

My big bug has just gone off to the gym, but this has reminded me of something years ago. I catch spiders in pots and chuck them out too and when I first lived with my hubby I caught one and showed it to him as it was massive, he backed away and its then you know a little more of your other half  bear_tongue , he hates spiders! Of course this meant years of tricks like throwing tomato stalks at him and shouting 'ahh spider', very immature but then I was young and my hubby is the most sarcastic person I know (very 'low' form of wit). His mother used to see a spider and would not move off her chair until his dad came in to catch it, she passed the phobia on. Of course all those years later and its me jumping on chairs as we had our mouse invasion last year. They do look cute, but not in my house!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Amanda wrote:

. His latin name is Arachnidotherhalfous, his common name Mark.

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :crackup:   I can't wait to tell my hubby , Mark! bear_grin  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

PEN, I thought liked spiders!?  I hate spiders but have learned to cope with them.  They seem to respect us around here as I hardly ever see any on the house.  I read that they come out at night under the cover of darkness searching for mates.   eeewwww

I don't see many during the daytime in our barn either...but in our hay room there is much evidence...webs....I have gooseflesh rigth now.  We get those big honking black and yellow variety  BIG BIG BIG.  BUT...I have seen on tv that spiders in Australia can be HUGE.  Do any of you Australians have any stories?

Thank goodness in Wisconsin we don't have any trantulas..I would have to move.

Oh, you'll love this:  my daughter's science teacher said that the average person eats six spiders a year.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Judi wrote:

Oh, you'll love this:  my daughter's science teacher said that the average person eats six spiders a year.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I think i'm gonna be SICK  bear_cry  heave.......gag...............gag

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I hate to be such a "Polly Anna Pure Bread" about this   bear_whistle  .... and I am certainly not a big fan of the creepy crawlies or anything, but OH... the sight of a beautifully constructed circular web glistening with dew makes my heart all a flutter!   bear_thumb And they DO help to control the other smaller ickies.  I certainly wouldn't want a web ON me in ANY way... that I find yucky too!  I have the trap and release duties in my house.  I think my husband could reduce a burgler to a quivering mess, but spiders.... you'll see him running the other way!

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

and I am certainly not a big fan of the creepy crawlies or anything, but OH... the sight of a beautifully constructed circular web glistening with dew makes my heart all a flutter!    And they DO help to control the other smaller ickies.  I certainly wouldn't want a web ON me in ANY way... that I find yucky too!  I have the trap and release duties in my house.  I think my husband could reduce a burgler to a quivering mess, but spiders.... you'll see him running the other way!

Me too Kim!!  I love seeing the webs out in the garden........we have TONS of those big black and yellow garden spiders and they make the most gorgeous webs.  AND they get lots of nasty flies and stuff. bear_thumb Getting webs on you is icky though.......I used to hate having to take the lead on trail rides (when I actually had time to ride...don't do it anymore bear_sad ) as the first person through would always run into huge webs between the trees. ICK!! bear_shocked  bear_sad

We also get big wolf spiders that love to come into the house.  I hate those things! They're big, ugly, and they BITE!!  Sorry, I don't catch and release these.......they get squashed!! :twisted:  And I have to do it because if Darren sees a spider he screams like a girl and takes off! :crackup:  :crackup:  I too have had a blast with that one..........my favorite is planting a rubber spider in places like his coffee maker, the medicine cabinet, etc. :twisted:  :crackup:  Last year for Christmas he got an extra gift from Santa.......a remote control spider that I held the remote to while he opened it. :twisted:  That one was fun!! The look on Darren's face as he tried to open that box...................it ended up tossed across the room! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: It's a good thing he loves me and gives as good as he gets! bear_grin  bear_tongue

That is PRICELESS Tracy ha ha ha ha  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I suspect that you are a bit of a devil :twisted: under that sweet bear_innocent exterior of yours Miss

UGH.............webs across the paths................being the first rider through...............gag...heave...gag

Penny feeling faint...............swooon bear_sad

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Tracy wrote:

Last year for Christmas he got an extra gift from Santa.......a remote control spider that I held the remote to while he opened it. :twisted:  That one was fun!! The look on Darren's face as he tried to open that box...................it ended up tossed across the room! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: It's a good thing he loves me and gives as good as he gets! bear_grin  :P

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Oh you wicked girl!  If my hubby did that to me I would get a remote control mouse!!!!  He hates mice. :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Once we had a black and yellow spider outside our kitchen window.  We watched her for many many days as she built her orb web and caught flies.  I did not have the heart to kill her, so we just wacthed her until she left and went somewhere else.  Nature really is perfect.

Spiders really do control the pesky flying insect population.  I just wish they wouldn't surpirse you once in a while by dropping down on a web. bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Awwwww, Lisa, I'm going to miss you on here!!!!!!  :hug:  If your work lets you come back sometime, please please pop in and say hello....

bear_cry

PS Sorry, I know you said don't reply, but...well....couldn't help myself.... bear_cry

The squirrel says 'BYE' Lisa  bear_cry

squirrel.gif

whiteforestbears wrote:
gotobedbears wrote:

PENNY!!! Get over here and clean this coffee off of my keyboard!!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I'm coming Master  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Good girl.

WOOF WOOF WOOF - pant pant pant - waggy waggy tail

puppy4pr.gif

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hope you get caught up on things, Lisa! 

We live by the river and have tons and tons of spiders.  Our house gets lots of sun in the back and it's nothing to see a dozen spiders making webs up and down the three stories.  We also have millions of mosquitos so the spiders can stay, along with the dragon flies.  I always carefully relocate, when I find one in the house - can't bear to kill one. 

When we lived in Deep River we had a large Wolf spider living under our washing machine.  We called it Charlotte and it never seemed to venture anywhere else except that area of the basement.  It was there for at least a year and was still there when we left.  I find them fascinating. 

hugs,

Brenda

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Another hilarous thread, just what I needed. I can't contribute anything out of the ordinary as we get the average assortment of sp.....rs and bugs. I hate arachnids and am not too fond of the rest, except lady bugs of course. I highly doubt that we all eat spiders unknowingly though, being a scientist in biology myself and having never heard of that. I guess it depends on your personal food hygiene.
Lisa- sorry to see you leave. That vegemite thread was great fun indeed  :crackup: Come back when time allows. I bet you can't stay away for long, you'll miss us too much.  bear_tongue  :hug:

thumperantiques wrote:

When we lived in Deep River we had a large Wolf spider living under our washing machine.  We called it Charlotte and it never seemed to venture anywhere else except that area of the basement.  It was there for at least a year and was still there when we left.  I find them fascinating.

Are you MAD Brenda???????

A wolf s.p.i.d.e.r called Charlotte!

YOU LEFT IT THERE WHEN  YOU MOVED?
bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

I feel for the new tenants, i really do  bear_cry

Penny...itching all over     yuk

Dilu Posts: 8,574

m_tarantula2.jpg

We had tarantulas when I was growing up.  Pen if you don't know what they are close your eyes and picture this......8 legged, like a spider but as big as your fist and hairy and fuzzy....

But they were gentle and usually sweet.....and they eat smaller bugs.....always a plus....

Well if the average person eats 8 spiders a year, I guess it could be considered free protein?

a102.gif

They come out of their hideyholes in the fall and for some reason always seem to walking across the streets.

Probably because the asphalt is warm....i was always told they were looking for mates....

a108.gif

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I hate, and I do mean hate, bugs!  We have a lot of bugs here in South Florida because we're in a tropical climate.  I don't handle them too well - I freak out when I see them.  Now it's summer here so the bugs really come out - yuck!  Another fun thing about hurricanes is that they drive the bugs into the walls of your home.  That happened with Hurricane Wilma last year, and it was no fun.   bear_cry   

We have roaches, which makes me feel sick even saying the name.  They are the nastiest, dirtiest bugs!  Another fun  bug is the mosquito, which tends to bite me a lot.  And they breed in pools of water so when it rains, they get worse.      Hurricanes really bring them out to when there's standing water after.  We have lots of other bugs, but those 2 are the worst.  We have spiders too.  We have lizards that eat the bugs, and I don't mind the lizards.  We had a lizard that lived in our house for a couple of weeks until DH caught him last week.  We don't like to kill lizards so you have to catch them. 

I have an embarressing bug story.  When I was in 4th grade, I woke up in the middle of the night and when I came back to my room, I saw a roach.  We had tile floors, and I called for my mom and told her I was going to pass out.  I wasn't kidding.  She kind of caught me and my head hit the floor.  I had sort of a black eye and my head really hurt.  I couldnt' go to school for a couple of days.  Not fun.   :redface:

s015.gif

e055.gif

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh yeah, Chrissie, we've got the mosquitos and roaches, too.  But Texas cockroaches are huge, hideous things that our cats and dogs love to torment.  Loooooove the big black/yellow garden spiders that weave those beautiful webs.  We have several every year and usually one or two do their thing in front of my sewing room window.  Love lizards, frogs/toads, dragonflies, and anything else that eats mosquitos and flies.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

We're not mad, Pen Pen, they just eat tons of bugs.  Actually I was giving you the short version.  Our kids (especially our son) used to bring dead flies and mosquitoes down to the basement and leave them buy the washing machine for her.  They always disappeared - maybe that's why Charlotte always stayed there - she didn't want to upset us and rock the boat LOL!

When we moved, we actually looked for her as we were going to put her outside.  We couldn't find her - maybe all the noise of the movers scared her. Charlotte was only about 1 3/4 - 2 inches in size. 

You want a spider story to beat that? When we were visiting friends in Durham, North Carolina, I spotted something on the window ledge, outside the bedroom window where we were sleeping.  It was as big as my hand and I couldn't believe it was a spider.  I asked what it was and our host went up a ladder with a stick and poked it.  It got up and moved about a foot and Kurt said, "that's the biggest damned Wolf spider I've ever seen.  Hubby asked what he was going to do about it and Kurt said in his southern drawl "nooot a thiiiiiing, he's outside your bedroom window, not mine"!  My husband almost packed the car and left, but Kurt finally did move it.  It wouldn't bother me at all.  Oh and in case you don't know, Wolf spiders don't have webs - they are too big and heavy.

hugs,

Brenda

Lisa, darling

a102.gif

I am so confused,

Help out an old woman here.....
Why are you leaving? g045.gif

And if you are leaving are you never coming back?    g050.gif

Really???? b007.gif

a108.gif

What will we do?  Those of us who admire you so and quietly lurk in the background reading every seriously silly word you post?????

a194.gif

c023.gif

I am sorry you are leaving....and I hope Erin is right!  I hope you come back....

a194.gif

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh, sorry you are leaving Lisa  bear_cry Hope you can get lots of work done!

Bugs!!  We have too many here in Australia...think my worst feared are those giant moths!!!  They are awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xo Sarah

Pages:

Board footer