Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I know the subject has nothing to do with bears . . . well, but maybe it does!  I adore music - couldn't survive without it . . . and I listen to it always while I'm making my bears (THAT'S the connection!).  I daresay that our tastes in music will be as diverse as the many countries we come from.  What do you like, who are your favorite artists, and how often do you listen?  I really like most genres of music . . . with the exception of acid/hard rock, hip-hop/rap, and some alternative.  Doesn't that sound like an old person??!!  bear_grin  I like most classical/opera, but not all, some Country/Western, but not all.  But the most wonderful, favorite, tippy top music of mine is soft, slow, melancholy, moody, soulful JAZZ!!  Aaaah . . . the ambrosia of music!  The piano is my favorite instrument (I play a little) and I like Beejie Adair, Marian McPartland, Dave Grusin, and David Benoit among others as jazz pianists.  Other artists I like are Eva Cassidy, Secret Garden, Kenny Rankin, Natalie Cole, Diana Krall, Michael Buble, and a bunch of others.  So gals and guys . . . what's your taste in music??

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, one of my favorite subjects! MUSIC!

It all depends on my mood or what I'm doing. If I'm driving it has to be up beat and something I can sing to so I often listen to the Indigo Girls, Reba McIntyre, The Judds, Fleetwood Mac... they are in my vocal range and I love the harmony.

Other times I love to listen to Josh Grobin - what a voice that kid has!! (OK, he's not a 'kid' but he's young and gorgeous!). When I really want to relax I get out the Windham Hill CDs - amazing instrumentals, especially piano!

I listen to quite a bit of contemporary christian music - Rebecca St. James, Michael W. Smith, old Amy Grant (before she went secular), Rich Mullins (who has since passed away at a young age). I guess it's not all so 'contemporary' anymore! I just picked up a CD of 'alternative Christian' which I'm trying to grasp the concept of!

I also like quite a bit of country, classic rock from the 70's and when I need a trip down memory lane I listen to 80's tunes - I was a teenager then. Half the songs I hear from the 80's make me think "I remember ROLLER SKATING to that song!" YIKES!!! Then I think "I actually LIKED this stuff?"

So, my taste is quite varied. There! I could have summed it all up in one sentance and saved you all the time of reading this post and I could have gotten those ears sewn on my deaf bear!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

Great topic, Sue Ann... this'll be interesting!!

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Music!!!   This is my other life besides bear making.  I too love all kinds of music and listen all the time I am working on bears.  It has been my therapy  for some tough times in my life and just a joy.  Iam a musician playing the Oboe with a community orchestra ( The Denver Pops ) and playing in a chamber music group in Denver.  I also play with a Harpist and we are starting a business together playing for weddings, upscale restaurants. parties, etc.  Music plays a big role with practicing a least  hour a day and enjoying listening.  I love classical and jazz the most but enjoy all types with the exception of heavy metal or hard rock.. 
     Just last night the orchestra played a concert in a outside park in Denver in the 108 degree heat  with no shade.  It was brutal but I survived it .... that was dedication!!!  We played one of my favorites.....  "My Funny Valentine" in which I had a solo  so I guess it was worth it. 
      Hope to hear more on this subject.      Janet

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahh I have always been considered a DAG when it comes to my music tastes.  It's who I am, and I was never going to appologise for what I like!  I have, since I was 15, been a HUGE fan of Celine Dion.  What can I say, I am a total romantic at heart.  I think I'm also a little bit of a drama queen, so the sad ballads are RIGHT up my alley!!   I actually spoke to Celine Dion on the telephone via an internet "press conference" so that was a HUGE thrill for me being a huge fan and being 17!

I love Josh Groban (yes! What a honey!)  Lara Fabian just to new a few in that genre.

I also am starting to LOVE Country Music.  My fav is Kasey Chambers (Great aussie singer, I think you love her or hate her) Reba, etc etc. 

What a great subject!
Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree... great subject.  I find I can't make bears happily without the CD player on.  I generally listen to, of all things, soundtracks to musicals I've seen.  I can just envision the entire production right there at my studio table, unfolding in my head all over again.  My favorite soundtracks are Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, and most of all, RENT, which -- without going too overboard on sentiment -- I have to say really, truly, changed my life.  If you don't know the story, let me just say that at the very deepest level, it's about meaning, and love, and how to best live a life one must, "... forget regret, or life is yours to miss."  The overlying story is funky and hip and urban and very left/liberal in politics -- which appeals to a Cali girl like me, with some time under her belt in residence in San Francisco -- but ultimately it's about so much more than that... about how, when all is said and done, the best measure of one's life is the measure of how much love and compassion was in it.  Very heavy, and also incredibly inspiring and uplifting, stuff.

I actually listened to RENT, quite contentedly, all afternoon long today!

I also take an occasional listen to the iPod library on my harddrive, but we jump from Howard Shore's LOTR soundtrack there, to Joni Mitchell, to my son Noah's favorite band du jour, Green Day, so it's a bit more jarring, to say the least!

clare14 Country Bears
England

I always listen to the old greats, Louis Armstrong (FAB!), Judy Garland, Bing, Frank..........   Everyone says I was born in totally the wrong era!!

When I make my old looking bears, it sets the mood.  I love it!!

What a wonderful world.................

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

It depends of what mood Im in. Sometimes I want to listen to hard rock/metal (tho it is softer ballads...).
Most of the time I like to listen to love songs. Have alot of Love CD´s. And most of the cd´s are those with all different artist. Everything from Celine Dion to Alice Cooper, but I dont mind as long its love ballads.. bear_tongue

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

To pop in my two-peneth, Queen more Queen and maybe a few soundtracks of yep, Queen. When I'm not listening to would you believe it Queen, I listen to the 50's and 60's music. I love to listen to the olden days music as my little nephew calls it. I love 'Build Me Up Buttercup, by the Foundations' Then when I'm in a more mellow mood I play the classics. When I don't want to sleep at night I play the tracks from Chicago, you may ask why I don't sleep, well it's because the songs get into my head and I keep having them flow through the old brain cell and I can't sleep because of them! bear_ermm Needless to say I don't play that one too often. bear_laugh

Jane
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh Yes. Alice Cooper he's one I love to listen too as well.....................................................now how could I have forgotten Alice!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

I'm an REO Speedwagon fan...also love Chicago and Foreigner, Heart, ABBA!!!!!!..Daphne, I can relate to the roller skating music too...yeah, Fanfare for the Common Man for the speed skating! Also love Celine Dion, and Amy Grants older stuff. I'm an 80'smusic fan I guess. BUT most of the time when I'm bear making, it's when the kids are at school...and I trade noise for pristine silence..and that's how I work best.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

What a varied bunch of music tastes we all have - just like the bears we produce really!

My favs are: Velvet Revolver - Muse - Kings of Leon - Killers - Starsailor - System of a Down - Greenday - Scissor Sisters - in fact, LOADS of different bands. Mostly i like loud banging music but i'm with Clare on the old crooners too. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald et al. Also i love Tamla Motown cos i know the lyrics and can sing (or screech) along with the tracks. Al Green is superb.

I came from a musical household - my favourite uncle was a jazz pianist and me mum could play boogie woogie piano instinctively but not read music - she figured that if she could work it out in her head why bother to learn.

My Grandpa played the accordian and would drag me round the pubs of north London with him. He'd stand me on a table and i'd have to dance and sing along - i must of made him a fortune but he did give me half a crown pocket money a week which was a heck of a lot of money in those days (the 60's). It went in favour that i looked like Shirley Temple - ringlets, chubby legs etc. No wonder i've got a complex!!!

One of my barmy aunts belonged to the Salvation Army and played the tambourine and other instruments really badly but hey! she enjoyed herself bear_tongue

I was taken to loads of concerts in the 60's even though i was only 6-7 years old so have seen stacks of great artists in my time - this could also be the reason that my hearing is shot to pieces! Boy, did they have the music loud in those days! What with the screaming fans too i'm suprised i'm not totally deaf by now:o
I saw: Jimi Hendrix - The Who - Beach Boys - Sonny & Cher - The Temptations - Diana Ross & the Supremes - Procal Harem - Billy Fury - Adam Faith - Status Quo - Rolling Stones and stacks of others that most of you are too young to remember - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch anyone???????

I always play my music toooooo loud cos i think it's the only way to listen to it - but in retrospect it's probably the old bad hearing thingy

Pennypoodles bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

WOW, ladies . . . GREAT answers!!  I'm impressed with our varied taste in music!  I, too, like Josh Groban, but only in small doses.  He's a very talented young person . . . much like Charlotte Church.  In fact, as I'm sure JG fans know, they sing together on his first cd . . . "The Prayer", which is truly very lovely.  Oh goodness, there is so much music out there to be listened to . . . how will we get it all heard??  I have my nostalgic moments in which I love to go back and hear Nat Cole, Frank Sinatra, James Taylor, Barry Manilow, Peggy Lee, etc., etc., etc.
Shelli . . . loved your take on RENT!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Sue Ann, have you seen RENT?  I keep wishing it will tour again near me.  I only got to see it once (as opposed to seeing The Lion King twice, which I will be paying for until I'm 99 years old, or seeing STOMP three times -- once with hubby, once with girlfriends, and this coming Sunday, with my sons!) and would dearly love to catch it again.  I think it's touring, but not anywhere near California.

I just think the lyrics impart some of the most beautiful and meaningful and IMPORTANT messages in our world.

Did you know that RENT's creator, Jonathan Larson, died just a few days (or weeks, can't recall precisely, but VERY SHORTLY is the point) before the show opened on Broadway?  What a legacy of tolerance and compassion he left behind.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I'm a soft rock or country rock kinda Girl myself. Although I also love Enya! The beetles are one of our favorites!

Hugs Louise

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Janet!!!  Oboe?!?!?!  you have got to be kidding!

Oboe is a four letter word.

I am so impressed.....

I should know

I went through college, the first time, on a music scholorship-Piano and yep-oboe.  But I confess I haven't dusted off my Loree in years.  I use the mandrel to stuff though-well since I'm not making reeds...:lol:

My worst oboe story- ugh it still makes me cringe.  It was summer in Utah and there was this summer program "music at Snowbird"  which was a ski resort.

We were doing the same old same old  but fun-B's 9th-with some of the Morman tabernacal choir and I cant remember the rest of the program.....that's how long ago it was. 

However I will never ever ever forget that it started to snow-In July-and while we were doing the last movement .

There was this horrible sound-like a bone breaking. 

Have you ever felt so sick you though you would throw up right on stage?

I had an awful crack.....

Talk about despondant.  However, lucky me, there was a guy in Salt Lake who was an expert on repairing cracks and other assorted musical maladies. 

And Siegfried was as good as...... used.....:D

But still a Loree. :lol:

This story will mean nothing to anyone but Janet....but I thought I would share.

I learned oboe because the band in high school didn't need piano and I had a desperate need to be away from home as much as possible-Not too bad-had a full scholorship 3 years after picking up the first oboe.  The scholorship was an interesting thing-either BYU in Utah.....or their campus in Laiea Hawaii.

I took the one as far away from California as possible

I love that you play-my toughest piece-Strausses R. concerto.  Yikes...

Congratulations....I am so impressed!

WOW

Danni:  Whats a DAG?

Pen
I love that your aunt was in the Salvation army-band

"put a nickel in the drum

save another drunken bum"

Maybe you don't know that one.

Wow everyone has such good solid ideas of what they like!  It's neat reading what you all had to say.

If music be the food of love, Play On!

Dilydanglediddelydong bear_tongue

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I vote we have a concert . . . Dilu on piano, Janet on oboe, and Winney singing!  Is it a go, girls? bear_laugh bear_laugh

I'm game!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great topic!  If we put together a band, I'm afraid I'll be on the Triangle :lol:

For housework, rock of any period, because it's the only thing that keeps me moving.

For bears, musical scores or Opera, including La Boheme, which I think is the original of Shelli's Rent. Both kinds of music are full of heart, which is great for bears.

For tutoring online, I listen to Audiobooks, currently Othello. I've got multitasking ears, but only two hands! ::(

Eileen

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Eileen, you MUST post a photo so I can get my head around who you are; I think of you, at this point, as a sweet, snow-covered, grizzley bear... for obvious (avatar) reasons.  We should have coffee sometime, when I'm coincidentally in Toronto, or you find yourself in Chico... :P.  Your breadth of interests and knowledge consistently inspire my awe.  Othello???

PS  You're right about RENT being based on La Boheme; in fact there's a musical number in it which steals the melody straight from the original and then morphs it into an urban update of the same.  The piece is called, appropriately enough, "La Vie Boheme."

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Rats, Shelli :lol:

I was hoping that nobody would ask since nobody HAD asked. I'm fine being the invisible rookie but, hey, I'll try to find one from my daughter's wedding, when I was looking my absolute worst from near-terminal fatigue--that way, when we meet, you'll all say, 'Dang, she looks so much better in person!"  bear_laugh Gimme a day or two to hunt one out, ok? I promise.

Actually, you're right on target ! I'm more like a grizzly than anything else. Hair all over the place because I keep forgetting to remember to cut it, hump from slaving over the computer and my worktable, long nose, sort of heavy in the lower jawline . . . big feet.

Actually, I'm not that knowledgable, since one bit of information these days tends to drive out another. My husband got me into opera which I hated at first (actually fell asleep most times) but love now, partly because my eldest has an incredible huge soprano voice--she's given it all up for love and an MBA. As for Shakespeare, I just love him. The stories and the characters and the language never get old for me.

Eileen

Hello

rollyes:Ahhhhh  another Opera lover....Wagner makes me cry.....even after all these years, and Turindot (sp)  La Boheme.....

Favorite opera impresario? Impresaria?  Lily Pons.  Long since gone to the stage in the sky.  She was a coloratura- If you ever get a chance to hear her on a recording:  "The Bell Song from Lakame"....it is worth the effort to find the recording, she was so good.

I have yet to hear anyone top her for clarity, range and generalized musicality.

I will clean to 60's rock- it helps get through the mundane.

Will I be bumped of the web if I confess to

uh

liking Neil Diamond

I know I know he is soo passe-but so am I

oh well.....

if we are revealing deep dark secrets.....

And lets face it Eileen.....Shakespeare had imagination.  Now they just shoot you or blow you up.....but Shakespeare.....hot wax in the ear canal.....now that's imagination :lol::lol:

Besides- if you are going to do a mad scene anywhere, you can't beat Lady McB.  Ophellia is ok floating down the river with her flowers, but it doesn't actually show the depth of depravity and insanity as Lady McB.

I'm with you  Shakespeare.

"Oh that this to to solid flesh would melt, thaw and resolve itself into a DEW......."

Oh if weight loss were so easy....course suicide does have weight loss as a side effect. hmmmmmm

may a little too morbid for a Sunday afternoon.

I am actually putting off jointing and articulating another golly.  My least favorite thing to do

ok

now that I have humiliated myself by admitting to a fondness for Diamond.....I had best get the little fella finished

Dillydallydiamonddo

Breckenridge, CO
Website

I am definitly game too.... we could give a concert at a bear convention and be the entertainment.
     Wow,  Dilu,  you really blew me away!!   Another oboe player and yes it is a four letter word!   Thanks for sharing your experience and you are right ... only another oboe player would understand.   A psychologist would have a field day with how I started back in high school and why I play this particular instruement still today.   I played in college  and then nothing for almost 16 years.  When my husband died in 1985 I went crazy and took some of the insurance money to buy a Loree and started playing again on a professional horn that I had always wanted.  It has been my therapy along with bear making plus a way to be with people.  Music is very theraputic as an outlet for my feelings and emotions.   Also....  I have a passion for the oboe and it's poignant sound.    You are ahead of me if you could play that R S   concerto.    Iam loving playing the Poulenc oboe sonata with a pianist friend right now for fun. 
    It is great to hear from everyone and their experiences with  music and bears.  They go  very well together being  both art forms.   Janet

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

OK, just for Shelli,:D

Two 2-year- old wedding pix. My daughter Caroline's wedding reception in our back yard.  In the first pic, I'm the Old Dear in purple gazing in rapture at my beautiful baby bride. On my left is beloved bear John, on Caroline's right is the Amazing Adrian and his (estranged) parents.

In the second pic, I''ve had a few too many glasses of Merlot. My friend and neighbor Cathy is on her first glass of wine, which is why she looks so serious!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Wedding1.jpgTrying again, not a quick learner!

Breckenridge, CO
Website

Dilu,    we must have been writing at the same time

( I do love Neil Diamond also )

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Wedding2small.jpgWedding1small.jpgThis is so embarrassing :(

But I think I've got it this time.

Pages:

Board footer